BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, nice to be with you.

In April of last year I bought a 1987 318i with the M10 engine. It has a full BMW service history from Barons, and is on 87000 miles. If you look in my gallery you will she she is a beauty!

During December it started to run a bit lumpy, then just before xmas it failed to start at all. I changed the dizzy cap,rotor arm and plugs but no luck. A mechanic friend changed the MAF sensor and it ran, but when I take it out it cuts out after about 15-20 minutes and will not restart for about half an hour? It will however run for hours on the drive.

Any thoughts team? I love the old girl, any help to get her fit again would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hhmmm thanks, checked most of these. It is the fact that it will idle on the drive without a problem that I don't get. Would the idle control valve do that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.....and that's the trouble! It could be so many small things. Not sure if it has a regulator or not. It was registered Jan 87 (happy 24th birthday!). I will see if I can find time to look tomorrow. In the mean time I am lumping my 43 year old body back and forth to work on my bike!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so I have done some fiddling this morning. Pulled things off, cleaned, put things back etc but all seemed ok. However I did discover something. It only seems to cut out when the the revs get higher, it will idle and restart forever. When I reved it to about 5500 rpm it cut out straight away and would not start for about half an hour. Does this info help? :confused

1 - 6 of 6 Posts