BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member and a new owner of a 1987 635 CSi Auto. Until now I've only really bought Ford Capris, so I'm not shy about saying I know almost nothing about BMW's.

The 635 I bought is a mostly-complete project car, and I'd like to find out more about the model as well as get some advice on parts and repairing the car.

I don't have a manual for the car, and when running, the dashboard flashes a "CHECK" message, and there's an icon lit up in the middle of the display above (the one with 6 green lights, a yellow and a red). The fuel is in the reserve so it might be that, but without a manual I'm a bit clueless (very clueless). There is also a red illuminated symbol; this is amongst the set to the right of the gear indication on the dash. It's the left-most symbol in this set (circle with 3 segments either side). Is this a normal light or potential issue?

There are several plastic trim parts inside that are damaged or missing; can anyone recommend good places to find these bits? Is ebay the best bet, or forums like this one? I'm not anywhere near wealthy so price does matter to me :)

The engine idles just under 1000 rpm, is this normal for the 635? My Capris idle between 800 and 900 too, so it seems about right, but the engine sounds quite burbley (perhaps due to the exhaust, though I realise burbley is not a great description).

I'd like to find out what wheels the car originally had, as it's currently got different rears to the fronts. I'd like to fit a matching set, preferably something original to the 635 or another classic BMW style - although I'm also considering TurboVecs if they will fit.

Is there much difference between normal 635's and the "highline" spec models?

I realise that's quite a lot to ask and maybe not enough detail where I need it. Any information or places to start would be a great help though! I hope it's alright to include a few pictures of my 635. The bodywork is a bit rough on the sills, with very visible welding and surface rust, but on the whole looks okay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone =)

I have a lot to learn about this particular car and the model in general, from figuring out what fittings will secure the bumpers and front spoiler, to understanding all the electrics and being able to carry out basic servicing myself.

I'd like to get the window trims chromed, as it looks much better than the black / matted colour and because the chrome surounds so many iconic lines of the 635, it really sets them off. Not sure how hard that will be to do, but it's an essential job for this car. I want the parts I've got, back on the car and then to start the tidying up of the roughly welded sills and the dashes of surface rust. THEN I can figure out how to chrome the trims and enhance the car in subtle ways.

·
Registered
437 Posts
LOL i love the e36 wheels on the back in the second last photo it actually bares a very faint liking to a capri :D

Have fun mate looks like a fun project. If I had the space and proper tools I would be doing this sort of stuff too :)

Class--

1 - 6 of 6 Posts