BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, thanks to ronnie for the welcome. I own a 1987 e32 730i. It has the rare zender kit and hoooge set of really dished 17's, oh and a naff wooden steering wheel! The steering wanders everywhere in a straight line, the power steering pump grinds like hell, the mileage readout doesnt work, the windscreen washers dont work(changed the pump already, it also leaks from the pipes at the bottom), there is a rod missing from the drivers front door that connects it to the central locking and no doubt other bits. It is mot'd until dec 09 and taxed til may 09. Is it worth keeping or should i sell and but a newer bimmer?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
How much play is in the steering box if when stationary with the engine off you rock the steering wheel side to side without moving the road wheels?

Have you checked the Power steering fluid level yet?

Washers, have you checked the fuses? and for power at the fuse for the washers?

Also could you remember to add the vehicle details in the thread title next time as per forum rules please, they have been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, sorry mate. There is a lot of play, around an inch when stationary with the engine off. I replaced the idler arm, only difference it made was when driving, the play is only to the left? The power steering fluid was changed for fresh Dex 2 but it keeps throwing it back out throw the housing, it seeps out the top!! The washers appear to work, they make the right noise for a split second then they die, no water comes out at all. Im unsure what to do with her really, im torn between cutting my losses and selling her to buy a newer 7 series or even an e34 535sport, or keep throwing money at her till she is right. Im sure the bodykit and the rims are worth a bit. Any idea what the rims actually are?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aha, that pic shows an arm that i changed, but it wasnt the arm where that has number 11 in it, it was the arm with bolt number 16 going through. i will get her up in the air and check that bolt though. The rims do cause some stares when they are clean, though that could be the grind from the ps pump!! Im looking around and there are some really cheap e38's out there now, very tempting.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Personally id keep your current car and fix her up, the only problem you have is finding out what parts need replacing! and thats where the likes of ronnie can help!!:thumbsup

My 525 sport has more problems than i can count on both of my hands, but slowly i am getting through them, and its a great sense of acheivement at the end of the day when you restore a car, but obviously, its your choice.

The e38 is a good looking car especially with deep dish alloys and with the 4litre v8 is immense, but it would be a shame to rid yourself of the e32.:frown

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know where you are coming from its just knowing what is wrong or where to start. the list of bits that need doing is large, power steering pump, wandering steering, central locking, windscreen washers, heater only blows hot, rear windows stick, drivers seat doesnt work etc etc. Dont get me wrong, its a cracking looking car with the zender kit, massive rims and lowering kit. The gearbox jerks at times when its trying to shift up, when first started from cold it takes minutes to get the car to actually move in drive. All these little things add up and start to cost money.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The autobox problem may be fluid level, have you checked it?

steering could be that bolt, too much play in the steering box which is adjustable, thrust arm bushes,rear beam bushes to list some.

Focus on one if you are to keep the car and we will soon get through it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to start with the steering Ronnie. I had the car on level ground, engine running in P, checked the oil level in the box and it was fine. Ill get through it bit by bit. Im going to need lots of bits though!!

·
Banned
478 Posts
Good luck mate, :thumbsup, you'll get lots of help from this forum.

ive got the following to do.

control arm bushes/replacement
rear subframe bushes
propshaft centre bearing and guibo replacement
i have a clutch problem to sort
air leak to find or sensor problem
alternator to replace
bit of body work to sort
i have a similar problem to you with my steering that i need to sort.

...and so far ive done-

The thermostat, with new housing
repaired a fuel leak that i discovered!
set of new brake pads,

not a lot done then, but i have only had the car about 6 weeks! i have collected all of the suspension parts, its just the case of fitting it all now...

you may get disheartened about all the jobs you have to do, but think about what you'll have at the end of it! A car from bmw from a time when nothing on the road really beat it for its driveability and comfort, and is still one of the better cars today!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phew! I know where you are coming from, list of stuff done so far is:

Altenator
Battery
full service
washer pump(still not working!)
Idler arm(still wanders at will)

I know what you mean about getting disheartened, already been there. I have so many little things to do its unreal. It is a solid and well built car though, and yes, in its day nothing touched it, and even today she is comfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts