BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1986 e28 520i oil smoke on startup

798 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  johnibby 
#1 ·
I've been working for a couple of months to resolve a problem, hopefully you can help.

I have a 1986 e28 520i auto with 114k on the clock. I've driven about 20000 miles in it over 3 years and done all the usual maintenance. It's a super reliable car.

It's been smoking with white blue oil smoke at startup for about 3 months, gradually getting worse until it's become pretty reluctant to clear. Ended up needing throttle to start and revs to clear the oil. I assumed valve stem seals.

Then it developed a fuel leak from the line right at the bottom of the engine bay so I knew I'd be doing some work.

Taking apart the inlet I noticed oil in the inlet pipe, more than a light mist. A couple of teaspoons worth. Did a load of work . New fuel hose, several new vacuum hoses, lapped the valves, new valve stem seals, seals on the crankcase breather, cambelt, gaskets, water pump and a lot of cleaning.

Should mention, the bores looked great and a compression test after was very healthy. Wasn't that bad before but was better after.

Runs great, but still the same oil problem.

Any ideas?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.