BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Formerly known as Freddybear
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, after posting a few threads up on my BM, a lot of you reckoned I should start a project thread on the old girl, so here will be my sorry excuse for one :D

The first few posts will be in little detail as the work was carried out a while ago and so are just to update you.

Right, as I got her:

98,000 miles with history and recent bills.

Mods were minor, being these trx's, tinting and it was lowered on Apex springs.

I have the original springs and wheels, with grandad spec wheelplates..

It rubbed even under light acceleration (tyres were 230mm wide!) so these had to come off, even though he'd spent a huge amount of money on the spray job:

..so she now had to sit on the old rims..tasty:

..a little better perhaps:

Anyhoo, I managed to hunt down these beasties for £110 with good tread:

but these were 55 prof on the rear and a only 50 on the front..which lead to me taking the sump tap straight off..happy days:

So a new set of tyres later:

All good. She'll still hit the bump stops on our sh#tty potholed roads, so maybe a set of stiffer shocks to come..

The gear selector cable snapped, so with the internet guidance of Watty17 and a lot of swearing I fitted a new one, there should be more blood in this picture:

And, yes, I did clean all that out

So she running well now but as I write this she's at Colin Bix's having a terminal wheel wobble sorted (I had it balanced twice), maybe new track rod arms/bushings..:frown

Theres a weird cracking noise from the front brakes under heavy braking, so this is being looked at, and number 5 fuse keeps blowing and the aerial has stopped working. I'll let you know the deal soon enough.

Also, there are a few scuffs and dints plus a little rot on the arches so she's going in for bodywork soon, wings, sills, rear quarters and the boot which needs to be sanded back to the metal. Good stuff. Will let you know when that kicks off too, with before and after piccies.

-Almost forgot- bought new wheel badges and a bonnet badge :thumbsup

btw, I still have the trx's if anyone wants em

Cheers:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Nice one Freddy:)

Are you not posting this in the project thread section?

Ive got a project thread for mine as well and im sure we can get good ideas/ tips from each other:thumbsup

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Freddy:)

Are you not posting this in the project thread section?

Ive got a project thread for mine as well and im sure we can get good ideas/ tips from each other:thumbsup
Ah bugger. Maybe a mod will pop along and move it for me. Defo mate, I'm sure we can :thumbsup

Reactions: watty17

·
Registered
295 Posts
imo, the e28 is the best looking bmw ever made, glad to see another one fall in good hands:)

Reactions: e28

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back from the garage, bushings and arms all good, wheel wobble hid away nicely (obviously)..so he couldn't pinpoint any problems in that area. Brakes working fine, just a bit noisy when pulling to a stop. The exhaust had been fitted by a complete pleb apparently so that was re-positioned. Two studs are missing from exhaust manifold, so it's blowing slightly but I hadn't noticed. All in all he said it was a very straight car. Ace.

Reactions: Spirit

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here we go, before, during and after pictures, I'll let them do the talking:

The work:

After:

:thumbsup

·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers guys, next on the list is to fix the exhaust manifold as it is blowing ever so slightly (only noticeable on start-up), fit new oil filter and get some stiffer shocks and a bonnet and roof respray.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts