BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I drive a 1983 BMW 528e with 230,000 km and I've been having some idle issues. Initially it was idling a bit rough and hunting slightly between 700-900 rpm. I removed and cleaned the ICV and now it idles rough at 1000 rpm when cold and 1200 rpm when warm. When I'm shifting and I put in the clutch the revs hang for a second or 2 before they drop and when I rev it up from an idle it drops done to around 500 rpm before returning to a stable idle. So I read a ton of threads on here and mye28.com and have tried a few things already. I removed the ICV again and cleaned it along with the hoses running to and from and the throttle body. I unplugged the ICV and the revs shot up and it started hunting like crazy so I think the ICV is working. I've replace the Coolant temp sensor and the temp switch. However when I unplug the temp sensor while idling nothing changes so I'm wondering if the wiring to the sensor could be shot? (I'll check for continuity today). The Thermo-Time (cold start) switch is disconnected and replaced with a manual switch in the cabin by the previous owner but I don't think that should effect the idle. I've also replaced the ECU with a 027. I plan on adjusting the valves asap so hopefully that smooths out the idle a bit and the valve cover gasket is leaking so maybe that's creating a vacuum leak? Do you think the ICV is shot or maybe the ICM? Should I change the oxygen sensor? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts