BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This seems to be a familiar topic, but I have another level it seems.
Wife's E87 2005 120d, 110k - cranking, not starting. Intermittent fault.

RAC chap came and did get it to start with a squirt of EasyStart. Dropped it at local garage for them to look at.
Plugged it in and nothing remarkable on diagnostics. They have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and a new set of glow plugs while they were at it.
It's still reluctant to start.
Battery disconnect / 1 hour/ reconnect. No different.
If I leave the bonnet open, sitting in full sun on a nice day (like yesterday) then it started in the afternoon. When it's started once, it seems quite happy to start again.
This morning it is wet & cold and it's just cranking away - no diesel getting to the cylinders.
Easy Start gives it a kick when the ethanol gets through, but there's no diesel there to ignite. And I don't like using it anyway.

Fuel pump's working - you can hear when cranking.
When it does start, it runs exactly as normal - especially as I've given it some decent non- supermarket fuel for once in its life!

To my mind, it has to be electrical, but don't know what to try next?
Ideas please?

Otherwise, she may get bored and want to use the Z3MC and we really don't want that!
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started first time without the MAF connected.
Started fine when I put it back on too.

I'll take the MAF unit off & give it a clean anyway.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 month on.....
Still not resolved, same problem - sometimes it starts, sometimes it won't.
Seems not to like it as much now that it's colder and damper.
Even so, yesterday late morning it started on the button so I decided to drive 60 miles to Essex and back. Went indoors for 10 minutes to get everything ready, loaded up, key in....nothing. Just cranks and doesn't fire.
When it decides that it is going to start, it does so immediately as if nothing was wrong.
If it's not going to start, then it just cranks and cranks.
There's no middle ground - all or nothing.

Bosch OBD comes up with no fault codes, but every time it has been plugged in, it starts fine. We've never managed to have it plugged in when it wouldn't start which is most frustrating.
Rail pressure is spot on.
Fuse box in glove box is clean and dry.

Low pressure pump?
High pressure pump?
Cam sensor?

Is there an ECU for the fuel system - maybe it's got damp? Location?
Getting bored of chasing this one...
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
If it can be started with easy start the problem must be low rail pressure on start. Most likely cause a leaky injector. So measure injector leak off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Surely a leaky injector would be a constant fault, not irregular?
When it does decide to start, it runs perfectly and pulls all the way through up the revs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take a look tomorrow, but I'm convinced it's electrical, not mechanical.
If one injector was a bit faulty then it would still kick and start with the other 3?

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
I will take a look tomorrow, but I'm convinced it's electrical, not mechanical.
If one injector was a bit faulty then it would still kick and start with the other 3?
If you can start the engine with aid of easy start (when the problem occurs) how could it be electrical? Even one leaky injector can cause the engine not starting if the rail pressure doesn't rise above the limit when injectors can open and work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts