BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i would be very grateful if you could help me with this. I have a non starting 118D, N47 :( . Engine turns over fine, no unusual noises when cranking and sounds like it has compression, it will eventually try to fire and when it does it sounds like it is trying to lock up (like hydraulic lock! or timing out?) Initially thought of timing chain, engine is 2010 so should have the better modified engine but i know they still give problems, has 97k on it. Looked at cam sprocket through sensor hole and it is turning so chain has not snapped. Has fault codes 4B90 and 497F. The 4B90 is a rail pressure code and this will clear with scanner but comes back after cranking. Have checked injectors and non leaking of to badly. Have fuel to injectors. The strange thing is that if i crank an injector nut so the rail is not pressurised the engine will crank normally for a long time without seeming to lock up, if i tighten the injector back up it will crank for a few seconds then lock up. Seems to me that the timing is out but that would not explain the fault code 4B90 unless the chain had snapped which drives the pump which it has not. I would like to know if these chains can actually slip/jump a tooth or do they just rattle and snap. I may not be on the right track with this but i usually start with the worst scenario and work backwards lol. Have checked that fuel is getting to to rail by disconnecting the feed and cranking engine and it flows out, so possibly ruling out the low pressure side. Also powered up the low pressure pump with 12v so it runs all the time but still the same. Also notice a some smoke coming out of the oil filler when cranking which smells like diesel fumes, which again points me to timing problem. Also if the chain had jumped i still cant see why it would flag up the code because i don't think the Hp pump is timed anyway. Cant find any reference to the 497F code, this wont clear. Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to get it all out at once :) . Tried a search but nothing seems to match my symptoms. Please help. Thanks. Ade

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update, will not start on easy start either, just tries to lock up when it fires so i think it is looking at a timing issue . Just don't want to take engine out to find it is ok. Thinking of taking cam cover off if possible, with engine in,
to check chain slack. Any ideas anyone. Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the reply. I may be getting a little further with it. Connected live data and read the fuel pressure and it was fluctuating between 700 and 1400 kpa without the engine even running! and with low pressure pump disconnected. Also checked the signal wire from the fuel pressure sensor and it was 0.3v and should be 0.5v with ignition on i believe. So ordered a new fuel rail with sensor on, will try it tomorrow so fingers crossed. If no joy i will post to other forums. Cheers

·
Vendor
4,072 Posts
I would advise you to do a compression test on the engine 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh car has been remapped too, have print put for 190bhp, not sure if this is relevant, maybe extra wear on fuel pump?? Anyway will let you know how i get on with sensor. Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, tried the new sensor today and still the same, never that easy is it. Definitly a fuel pressure problem, about 12bar on cranking rising to about 60bar then starts to fire, target pressure is about 400bar. Connected air line to fuel pressure sensor and pressure went up so that seems to be working, but no pressure in the rail. Disconnected fuel filter and fuel flows out, but only while cranking, not just with the ignition on, i presume this is normal. About 7bar pressure out of the filter. Looking like high pressure fuel pump to me, although did not see any metal particles in the filter. Anyone any ideas before i condemn the fuel pump and injectors. Cheers. Will repost as suggested in general discussion. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, tried the new sensor today and still the same, never that easy is it. Definitely a fuel pressure problem, about 12bar on cranking rising to about 60bar then starts to fire, target pressure is about 400bar. Connected air line to fuel pressure sensor and pressure went up so that seems to be working, but no pressure in the rail. Disconnected fuel filter and fuel flows out, but only while cranking, not just with the ignition on, i presume this is normal. About 7bar pressure out of the filter. Looking like high pressure fuel pump to me, although did not see any metal particles in the filter. Anyone any ideas before i condemn the fuel pump and injectors. Cheers. Will repost as suggested in general discussion. Thanks

·
Vendor
4,072 Posts
Did you ever have a problem with the engine intermediate starting after the remap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, it was done before i got it, as far as i know it has been running fine for a year or so after. cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, tried new fuel rail still the same. Only showing about 10 bar on cranking, after about 20 secs rises to about 100bar( still to low) then tries to fire and stops. Baffled now, looking like Hp pump but no metal in the old fuel rail???

·
Vendor
4,072 Posts
If a HPFP dose not fix your problem I can test your dde control unit or car if needed

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
Dyno Dynamics rolling road
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs
New and fully refurbished BMW,Alpina Ecus and Cas units
BMW Keys made and cut same day
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used)
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners Remaps

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that, spotted some metal filings in the bottom of fuel tank so ordered new HPFP. If that does not work i will be in touch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
New here.

Probably it's too late, but, you also can try part no.15 here: RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog. Changing the 3 socket terminals helped in some situations. Also inspecting the wires from damaged wires.
Also, can check nr.3: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=UD71-EUR-03-2007-E87N-BMW-118d&diagId=13_1224

I have a ( somehow) same situation. It had one time the 4B90 error( rail pressure too low at engine start), but once deleted, it never appeared back.
I have major fluctuations in rail pressure( 270-420bar... a lot) and I cand not find the problem. The car has no errors on the scanners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, i would be very grateful if you could help me with this. I have a non starting 118D, N47 :( . Engine turns over fine, no unusual noises when cranking and sounds like it has compression, it will eventually try to fire and when it does it sounds like it is trying to lock up (like hydraulic lock! or timing out?) Initially thought of timing chain, engine is 2010 so should have the better modified engine but i know they still give problems, has 97k on it. Looked at cam sprocket through sensor hole and it is turning so chain has not snapped. Has fault codes 4B90 and 497F. The 4B90 is a rail pressure code and this will clear with scanner but comes back after cranking. Have checked injectors and non leaking of to badly. Have fuel to injectors. The strange thing is that if i crank an injector nut so the rail is not pressurised the engine will crank normally for a long time without seeming to lock up, if i tighten the injector back up it will crank for a few seconds then lock up. Seems to me that the timing is out but that would not explain the fault code 4B90 unless the chain had snapped which drives the pump which it has not. I would like to know if these chains can actually slip/jump a tooth or do they just rattle and snap. I may not be on the right track with this but i usually start with the worst scenario and work backwards lol. Have checked that fuel is getting to to rail by disconnecting the feed and cranking engine and it flows out, so possibly ruling out the low pressure side. Also powered up the low pressure pump with 12v so it runs all the time but still the same. Also notice a some smoke coming out of the oil filler when cranking which smells like diesel fumes, which again points me to timing problem. Also if the chain had jumped i still cant see why it would flag up the code because i don't think the Hp pump is timed anyway. Cant find any reference to the 497F code, this wont clear. Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to get it all out at once :) . Tried a search but nothing seems to match my symptoms. Please help. Thanks. Ade
Hello there I have the same fault did you get yours fixed cheers ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts