BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI - i have a 118d 2009 and have seen several boxes on sale on auction sites that increase Bhp + give better fuel ecconomy. Has anyone tried these? Its a company car so am not woried about long term damage to the car as long as I can take the box off at service. Its the ecconomy I am interested in rather than power increase - I am guessing a re map is better but will invalidate my warantee / BMW will pick up at the service that it has been done. Any advice / help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
:eek

·
Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
1,227 Posts
HI - i have a 118d 2009 and have seen several boxes on sale on auction sites that increase Bhp + give better fuel ecconomy. Has anyone tried these? Its a company car so am not woried about long term damage to the car as long as I can take the box off at service. Its the ecconomy I am interested in rather than power increase - I am guessing a re map is better but will invalidate my warantee / BMW will pick up at the service that it has been done. Any advice / help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
:eek

There just a box to fool the ECU in to thinking its colder etc.. Bit of a waste of money you do get little gain's but not as much as a good re-map. 90% of re-maps can be seen by the dealer. Our's it a bit harder.. Some mappers have to open up the ECU lid to do this all our's are done through the port so less likley to be found.. The only way thay can see its been mapped is is the look at the boost it would be running.. to do this they would need to data log the car.. for this they really need a reson.
Also most re-mappers can put the car back to stock for you..

Hope that helps a little

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
If they want to find the map they will. It is not hard if you know what you are doing. Checksum would be the 1st stop then read the file and they will see all the changes. Very easy to do if they want They could find the remap in less than 20 mins, but why would they look, unless you had a gearbox or catastrophic failure of the engine. If you remap by flashing or BDM it or put a box on they will know. BDM ( opening the ECU and connecting direct ) actually leave less traces if electronically

"the only way it can be seen is looking at boost" is totally 100% wrong:mad

Different boxes do different things. ECU seeing colder temp is the crap way most good boxes dont work like that.

·
Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
1,227 Posts
BMW dealers have no way of reading the ecu file, even the very latest ISIS
cannot read a file. They would do a regular diag check, if no faults stored
to point to a remap then that's the end of it. If they saw a checksum error
then they will attempt a reprogram of the ecu, if the error remains then its
a new ecu if under warranty. The actual checksum value can be seen in a data
block but the tech would have to know what the checksum value of the factory
standard file was supposed to be to say if the ecu was remapped, they do not
have a magic list of all ecu file checksum values and most BMW ecu files
carry chassis number info so are unique and hence would have a unique
checksum anyway? If at this point they remove the ecu and find any sign of
tampering with scratches or bent casings then its a customer problem and not
warranty. To date I have not seen an ecu that has had a bdm program that
does not carry some signs of tampering, they are real bitches to open so you
will leave at least some screwdriver marks on the edges of the casings.

The latest digital plug in tuning type boxes can alter quite a few
parameters but they still work on the fuelling alone, no way they can alter
boost other than the natural extra boost that comes with the fuel tuning,
you may see a rise of about 50millibar with a box (most ecu tuners will go
up to 200 millibar with a regular remap on most diesels, obviously a remap
can also cater for limits, injection maps, etc)

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Mike. much better response. The BMW EDC16 are ok to open but I agree you would have to be very very good not to leave any traces.

As for checksum etc I have no idea what BMW keep on file. Flash count would be very easy way to find the remap. But I dont think BMW has one I know VAG have but not sure on EDC16 BMW.

I agree with your box explanation also:thumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts