BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new to this site, so i hope you'll be able to help me.
I am looking to change my current car, an old suzy swift, and have narrowed my choice down to a BMW 118d sport or volvo c30, both are in used car sales. The BMW is on an 06 plate with a mileage of 25000, the volvo is a 57 plate with a mileage of 12000 and is a little more expensive than the BMW. Having looked and been in both cars i liked them both, however with the BM i wonder if service costs, tyres etc may work out more expensive than the volvo.
Any advice on what to look for in the BMW would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Consumables should be much of muchness. The C30 should be a better car, a nicer place to be overall and should be rather well eqipped. However, I will warn you now, Volvo dealer servicing is extortionate!!!! Get dealer servicing prices for both if you intend on using the dealers for service work.

Which model C30 are you looking at the D5? (In the C30 range, I'd stick with the D5 or T5 models, they will hold their value better and IMO are the only ones worth getting. If you get one with the R-design styling that will be a bonus).

Personally the BMW 1 series IMO is a ridiculous car and anyone who onws one needs a brain in their stocking next christmas. Its so small an unpractical, very bland and a bit shoddy (imo) compared to its competition. Also the interior quality from my experience is shockingly bad for a premium badge. (MY g/f has a 120d and she has finally agreed that its [email protected], she bought it as she thought as it was a BMW it was supposed to be good :rofl I have made her agree to p/ex for the current VW Golf Gti). The only good thing about it is that it drives well, RWD, firm chassis but the ride for UK roads is so-so.

I'd seriously suggest you look at the 3 series as far as BMW goes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My old man has a volvo s80 and the parts are extortionate compared to bmw and ive heard the labour rates arnt much better. Im currently driving a c30 hire car, its a 2.4 auto though. While i find it a nice car to drive i find the interior a bit bland and dull and i cant get used to that thin centre dash piece with nothing behind it lol. I think the C30 is a prettier car than the 1 series, they just havn't grown on me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your replies, no surprise that you all lean towards BMW , however whats impressed me is that now i've been looking around it seems that bmw owners seem to hold onto their cars for a long time, no matter what mileage is clocked up, plus on the whole, the cars seem to not look their age so much, thats gotta be a good sign!
Its good to have all your comments though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
errmm...I think if you read back you'll find only one person actually leaned towards the bmw.

Everyone else said the following:
Volvo - looks better, nicer interior, as well if not better built - good car.
BMW - better to drive (because of rwd), slower depreciation

servicing and parts - much of a muchness.

therefore, which is more important - interesting good looks / rarity and a nice interior, or great driving dynamics and stronger residuals?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
IMO choose neither and get a Golf GTi.

How controversial is that on a BMW forum? Wife has a Golf GTi and it is absolutely fantastic value for money.
Agreed and the all the variants in diesel and petrol forms are sensibly priced on the used market.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I don't like the 1 series so that's out the window, I do like the look of the Volvo C30 though, my reservations will be who Ford sell Volvo to(yes,I'm going deep :hihi), they were going to review it around December time but I've heard no announcement yet from Ford, and we all know how well they are doing at the moment :shifty:

VW Golf, hmmmm, If it's the same engine as in my bosses Seat Leon FR diesel then don't do short journeys in it as the diesel particulate filter gets clogged every 5 mins and the car goes into limp home mode :rofl, been back several times already so they can try fixing it :hihi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm VW Golf, not very exciting to look at tho are they, at least the series 1 and C30
are a little different looking. Interesting to see the comments about series1, I thought it looked ok, a lot depends on colour maybe?
Whatever happens i don't want a car that breaks down all the time, so don't think i'll look at the Seat Leon!!!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
My training partner is a driving instructor (independant) and has an 05' VW Golf GT TDI in the sport spec. That looks quite smart as it is imo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts