BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi after advise please car cranks but won’t start recent new starter motor, battery good fuel getting to rail but nothing but have noticed drive belt doesn’t turn while cranking and seems a bit slack could this cause a no start

·
Registered
285 Posts
Drive belt not moving shouldn’t cause a non start,if battery is in good shape it should still start but battery won’t be charged if drive belt doesn’t turn. Well unless crank has snapped causing the drive belt not to turn that is.

has anything happened prior to it not starting fault codes,recent maintenance etc and was it just a sudden thing?

you say fuel getting to rail but what pressure is the fuel at the rail, have you had any diagnostics plugged in to see if codes or data offer any clues?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive belt not moving shouldn’t cause a non start,if battery is in good shape it should still start but battery won’t be charged if drive belt doesn’t turn. Well unless crank has snapped causing the drive belt not to turn that is.

has anything happened prior to it not starting fault codes,recent maintenance etc and was it just a sudden thing?

you say fuel getting to rail but what pressure is the fuel at the rail, have you had any diagnostics plugged in to see if codes or data offer any clues?
I have ran diagnostics no codes says fuel pressure ok, it did start making a tappety noise due to not being serviced so had engine flush and oil and filter but did drive but after standing for a few weeks wouldn’t start thought air was in fuel as my son turned engine over with fuel pump Disconnected also just changed starter motor as old one failed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried easy start nothing then battery went flat so recharged again now all I get is a single click when I press button, has starter gone agin or is there a relay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before doing anything else I would try turning engine over by hand to see if it rotates ok
Tried turning engine today didn’t move at all could this be the chain cos engine had gone a
Bit louder not long before all this but garage that done service and engine flush said it wouldn’t be the chain but possibly tappets had hardened

1 - 10 of 10 Posts