BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl friend is thinking of getting a 1 series and we have looked at getting a second hand one. I have a 3 series and i was wondering why are there so many 1 series for sale that are only a year old? Is there any thing that put people off after a year or so? Is this a good choice? Any common faults to look out for?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
My g/f has a 120d, finally convinced her that 1 series's are rubbish. Its a pointless car, shoddy for a BMW and very over priced. She's now looking at a current used VW Golf Gti.

Mant people agree that you'd be better off with the likes of a VW Golf or something along those lines in this sector. Not only will you get much more car for your money, but you'll get a decent car!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I must agree (unfortunately)

The Audi A3 doesn't handle as well but makes up for it in looks, interior and space.

Golf's are bit too common in my eyes. GTi is beauty though.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Only trouble with the A3, is not to get one with a basic spec, otherwise, imo a much wiser choice.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Go for the Golf, they are just a great drive. If you want to set it apart, get the black plastic bits on the rear bumper, sills and front valance painted like the Edition 30, it makes a real visual difference, looks a bit more modern. I'll get some pictures of the wifes to illustrate tomorrow...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go for the Golf, they are just a great drive. If you want to set it apart, get the black plastic bits on the rear bumper, sills and front valance painted like the Edition 30, it makes a real visual difference, looks a bit more modern. I'll get some pictures of the wifes to illustrate tomorrow...
Sounds good. Guess the 1 series isn't holding up to well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Golf?

What's wrong with the 3 series?
Nothing i am keeping mine but i was think about getting my girl friend a 1 series its the only BMW she like. I can think of many more before i would have one. Not a lot of good about them so far

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Is a S.E basic spec?
Can't remember what the SE spec includes on Audi's, but just look at a few on autotrader, see what 'SE' are equipped with. You'd want full electrics, aircon/climate, perhaps leather, etc. Just like BMW's, one car with an 'SE' trim can vary greatly to another with 'SE' trim. Just got to make sure you don't get one where the original buyer didn't tick any of the options list.

Also fwiw, the S3's are quite cheap and probably worth a look.

·
Registered
352 Posts
my missus has the A3 S-Line

it's well specced but suspension is back breaking. Other than that it looks the part and drives very well. She has the flappy paddle DSG which is very good I must admit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a lot of animosity towards the 1 series, but I can only speak as I find, the one I have a 118i SE is excellent, I have had three 3 series and this is a match for any of them.
It is an 06 with very little mileage and it goes and handles well. It is a smaller car than it it looks but unless you have to haul stuff around then it is fine.
I got around to really using it one night last week and it felt very very good hammering along some A and B roads. Do not get a 116 or a small diesel.

Golfs are the new choice of cars for the twonks, seems they went from Saxos to GTI's and as for A3's most of their drivers seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Golfs are the new choice of cars for the twonks, seems they went from Saxos to GTI's and as for A3's most of their drivers seem to have a chip on their shoulder.
It's because they encourage you to drive it like a twonk. They are such a top engaging drive IMO. I take the wife's for a thrape anyday over mine.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you really need a hatchback family car and want a bm, then the 1 is it really. Shame the car is Butt ugly and overpriced. About the only thing I like about a 1 series is the fact it took attention away from the compact (which personally I like) and gave people something new to complain about. Golfs are for old men or boy racers, there is no area between where others fit. At least the audi has nicer lines. Is it the scirocco that just got released with the really angry looking front end? Now that IS a nice looking car. When all is said and done though, the one series will always be greeted with an 'oh, its a one' look by the majority of 3 series bm owners. But hey, its all about preference. Might start a poll on it if I can think of something decent.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Nothing i am keeping mine but i was think about getting my girl friend a 1 series its the only BMW she like.
How can she not like a 3 seriers convertable... all girls like convertables

*granted they are the only convertables that men can actually drive*

·
Registered
536 Posts
How can she not like a 3 seriers convertable... all girls like convertables

*granted they are the only convertables that men can actually drive*
All men do too.

The keys for my 1 series do a vanishing act everytime at my my other halfs and he makes every excuse under the sun for why he has to go out in it!

I'm actually looking for one for him just so I can have mines back!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts