BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right Gentlemen,

I've recently picked up a bargain with a unknown issue(issue found) owner was afraid of the car costing big bucks to fix, so sold it quick and cheap,
I'm the sucker who bought it, Here are the details:

2008 BMW X3 2.0d 6speed Manual - 150 000 Kilometers(93 000 Miles) with a Full service history - extremely neat car.

So - just to confirm before I start digging. I'm suspecting that the head gasket is blown - these are the symptoms:
- Hard to start - Almost like an old tractor starting - has to build up RPM before firing
- White Ploom of smoke once it finally starts
- Coolant disappearing fast - no pipe leaks - checked that
- Air bubbles pushing up and out of the reservoir bottle whilst the engine is running and I'm topping up the coolant

I'm wanting to tackle the job myself - quite hands on and not afraid to get dirty - Although - I have some questions:
- Do i need any special tools - IE CAM position alignment tools etc
- Can the cylinder head be skimmed without it needing all the components removed IE valves, springs etc etc
- What is the torque specs on the head bolts?

Many thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove the exhaust connection on EGR cooler and pressurise coolant system.
Well I did remove the EGR cooler and blow in the water intake side and close the outlet with my hand - seems pretty solid - maybe a pressure test would be a better option,
Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
When you remove the cyl head have a good look at the bores for cracks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick update - Parts have finally arrived - Practically sold a kidney for them to arrive in a timely manner. I also have just completed the stem seal replacement and re-lapping of the valves - All in prep for tomorrow's reassembly. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after putting everything back in place - we still have a water leak, so it wasn't the head gasket - F**K!

So the heads come off and been sent to the engineers to coolant pressure test it and see what the outcome is - holding thumbs its fixable - else I'll need to find a replacement head which I really don't want to have to do...

I did see on the block there were some marks that looked like cracks between cylinder no.3-4 but the sleeves seem intact and all fine.

We will see what the engineers say on Monday...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts