BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Bought an E46 with a thermo issue - car wouldn't get up to temp, would stay between the blue icon & the white line. Replaced the main thermostat with a Behr stat which has improved the car a lot - car is now getting over the first white line at apprx 11 o'clock but it doesn't get up to temp/12 o'clock in good haste and when it does (in slow traffic say) it'll drop back down from 12 o'clock slightly.

Would the EGR thermo do this? Or is there something else?

2005 E46 320d coupe - 82,000miles FSH

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
yup,,but folk usualluy change the egr one first,,then if still not getting to temp then main one also,,my e46 330d was a 53 plate facelift but only had a majn stat..my 2 cars e90 330d and 335d which i own n months etcow have both and both have been done recently,,ie 18 months/6

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
If things don't cure with new EGR stat that Behr main stat can be faulty. Seen plenty of these cases. All these after market stats are Made in Italy crap. For main thermostat original part only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, will try an EGR thermo too. If no good will send the main one back to Autodoc and get an OE one.

Thought Behr were the OE supplier going by various posts online. Bah!

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
Thanks for the responses, will try an EGR thermo too. If no good will send the main one back to Autodoc and get an OE one.

Thought Behr were the OE supplier going by various posts online. Bah!
Behr/Mahle thermostat is not original. You can check and it's Made in Italy. The original part is made in Austria. No similar after market part available.

Good luck on the reclame with Autodoc. You will need patience with them.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
im sure bmw original stats have wahler stamped on them also,,my 335d has a cheap egr and a genuine bmw main one(last owner)fitted. my 330d has both bmw stats fitted,,both cars are fine

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a similar problem (2003 E46 320d Touring)

I've read the codes, and nothing of relevance comes up.

question about thermostat removal;
I'll try the EGR thermostat first - do you need to drain the coolant to do this ?

I'm assuming that with the main thermostat, the coolant does need to be drained if its replaced...?

Also, my idle is low - according to the read back on the live data its idling around 730 rpm - what controls the idle speed ?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
egr will only lose a tiny amount of coolant,,bvut main you will have to drain it,,good time to replace coolant with fresh if not done in a while ,,,assuming you have an egr stat,,depends on year etc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts