BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound a strange question but has anyone used bleach to remove the chrome from the outer plastic grills? I'll explain:D
Mine has the full chrome ones at the minute and I want to change to black ones, I've bought what is listed on the Realoem site as schwartz and assumed they would be totally black but only the centre slats are, the outers are still chrome. I know you can get the completely black ones from ebay etc but I'd prefer the OE ones as at least I know they will be a perfect fit so I've decided to keep them. Anyway, getting to my point, I've searched online about chrome removal from plastic and it seems household bleach will do the job if they are soaked for some time, I can then spray them satin black whilst not running around without grills on the car, just wondered if anyone else had tried this. Sorry for the long post, just took a while to explain:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why dont you just spray them black?
That would mean rubbing down and etch primer I would think as doubt chrome will take too well to being painted over. If its down to bare plastic I might even get lucky and it will be black underneath so I'll just polish them up. If not it will still be a better finish than sanding the chrome off imo:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
That would mean rubbing down and etch primer I would think as doubt chrome will take too well to being painted over. If its down to bare plastic I might even get lucky and it will be black underneath so I'll just polish them up. If not it will still be a better finish than sanding the chrome off imo:thumbsup
i did one for a mate a few weeks ago. i used a heat gun, it lifts the chrome clean off, dont overdo it though because it will take a while

:thumbsup

·
Registered
616 Posts
imo black grills on black cars is stealth sex

black grills on silver cars is like a wort on the face of beauty

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi all,

I have a E46 vert 52 plate, I want black grills also, does anyone have any pics of the mod? Also what does everyone think of the black grills? (car is black).

·
Registered
27 Posts
That black beemer looks hard as nails :)

I was thinking black grilles on my blue coupe... I should probably get it serviced before I start messing around with it though!

Nick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having seen the pics I think I'm gonna leave the chrome outer grill alone and just replace the centre slats with the black ones I have:shifty:

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
Having seen the pics I think I'm gonna leave the chrome outer grill alone and just replace the centre slats with the black ones I have:shifty:
don't bother buying them, take out your grill, seperate the inner parts from the outer parts and put the inners in a bucket of warm water. grab yourself a brillo pad and rub the chrome off. its that simple, takes no more than 20 mins for both sides. doesn't leave any scratches either.

save yourself a few quid.

:thumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts