BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fellow bimmer lovers

i have learned a lot about my car in this forum and others similar to it so i thought i ll share my experience.
As some of you know for a while now that my clutch was slipping so because it was an SSG and my friend and mechanic did not have any experience with an SSG box my first call was to BMW Battersea London and i was quoted 1600 quid for the clutch and flywheel to be replaced i was also advised by them that probably the problem was my slave cylinder leaking and if the cylinder was leaking it would add another 600 quid to the bill a grand total of 2200+vat give or take..
I was not happy at all i just spent 300 quid servicing the car myself and i have owned the car only for 6 months so i started doing my own research in the internet ...and here`s what i come up with...

Our gearbox is exactly the same as a manual apart from the hydraulics bit so i talked to my friend and mechanic and he agreed to do it on a Saturday afternoon after he had closed shop just me and him in his garage with all his tools and equipment i would not suggest doing this at home unless you really very brave have a lot of tools knowledge and a helpful pair of hands on my 325i the clutch is made by L U K in London i could not find it any cheaper than 160+vat from G S F the flywheel i could not find any cheaper than 260+vat after some research i found these guys

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

L U K Clutch Kit for my 325 for 105+vat
L U K Flywheel 202+vat

i ordered the parts and they were excellent communication was good phone and e-mail paid for the parts and had them 2 days later all original L U K only here i saved 120+vat that`s a lot of money to waste my 02 sensors have been complaining for a while as well so i thought since we gone have the exhaust out i`ll just replace them as well after a lot of research i found this guy

http://www.emissioncontrols.co.uk/page.php?domain_name=emissioncontrols.co.uk&viewpage=home

now this guy he deserves a lot of credit i phoned him told him what i need he took all my details and phoned me back in 10 minutes he said to me he could have them delivered in 2 days for a grand price of 68 quid each sensor i bought all 4 and paid for it the next day he phoned to tell me he all ready had the sensors with him and that he was gone post it that afternoon so i could get them the next morning and sure enough next day before 9 am i had my 4 sensors all original Bosh..

with regards to my slave cylinder we have a very good post in this forum written by a great guy that also shared hes experience with us just look for LRS posts and you find out what to do with regards to the slave cylinder my kit cost me 32 quid and i had to wait 7 working days for it.
I also got myself a couple cans of CHF11s oil costing me 24+vat......

since i have the SSG after the clutch was replaced i would need to do the calibration bleed and bite point after a bit of research i found this guy in the m3cutters forum m3laith is hes user name and he sold me the cable and program (inpa) amongst other handy programs to work on BMW`s for 50 quid with this after the clutch had been replaced i could do myself the calibration bleed and bite point very useful program and lots of features.....

So after about two weeks research i was now ready to start the job and had all parts for a grand total of 750 quid give or take that in comparison to the prices i was quoted and taking into account that the 02 sensors were an extra 272 quid i had the software and cable for the future not bad at all.......

yesterday was d-day at 4 sharp there i was in the garage with all my bits and pieces ready to torn my 325 apart we started at 5 let the car cool down a bit since we were doing the job and learning cause it was our first time on the SSG we were very careful and it took us 6 hours to do the job we replaced the clutch the flywheel rebuild the slave cylinder which sure enough was the guilty party on the clutch slipping issue replaced all 4 sensors i also suspected a leak on my air intake and sure enough looking from the bottom i found 2 big holes on the elbow a common problem so tomorrow back to bmw to order my new air intake pipe and im also gone get another SSG relay to keep in the glove compartment as i hear they can cause you a lot of problems going back to yesterday after 6 hours hard work everything was back in place did the calibration bleed and bite point put some tape on the air intake to prevent as much air being sucked in as possible till i get the new one and took my baby in its maiden voyage what a difference im in love with it again........

Many thanks to all that helped

Regards Peter

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Thanks very much for the update, it's good to know you got it sorted. And this will really help future members with that gearbox :thumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats brillant mate very useful info there,pity i didnt get of my arse and do the same 3 years ago when the clutch went in my 330ci clubsport, exactly the problem as yours,in the end i spent 1555+vat to get it done at dealers in northern ireland( btw car has never been back with them for anything and if i can help it it never will be)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts