BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!

While my car is warming up it makes a loud tappeting noise that fades in and out and is really annoying, you can hear it now and again once the engine has warmed up. Also you can hear it less when I gun it and seems to dissapear faster.

The car has done 92000 miles but has no history of having the timing chain replaced. The oil is 8000 miles old and now looks rather black but is still at it's maximum level.

So any idea as to what's causing the annoying noise?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still haven't sorted this. Changed the oil and filter and now it just clicks/taps/ticks while warming up. Asked my garage and they don't seem to know, any thoughts anyone?

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Timing chains don't normally need replacing.

What I would start with, is fresh oil... Failing that, i'd try a new cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be a faulty hydraulic lifter (tappet) - if it's a loud ticking that comes and goes, that's what it is.
Do you think of it as a problem if it is a Tappet and how easily could it be rectified? I intend to sell her some time soon so I can start putting some money into a project.

·
Registered
179 Posts
try an engine flush,nice and hot then drain off the oil.
leave for at least an hour to get everything out before filling with
fresh oil and clean filter.
leave idling for about 10 mins then take for a spirited drive.
then listen to whats happening.
as said before could be sticking follower or faulty tensioner.
also worth checking your plugs and exhaust manifold,these can crack and make it sound like somethings wrong with tappets.
plugs can work loose and have a liitle blow by that will sound tappety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts