BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here’s what’s been going on with my E60 530d, Last week I was driving at around 35mph light throttle and the car suddenly felt like it couldn’t make its mind up about what gear to be in, it harshly changed gear like hitting a bump in the road, I thought well that was odd. About 300 yards later, I’m driving at around 40mph and suddenly realise it’s revving in neutral, knocked it back into drive after slowing down and continued. Got to some traffic lights and it stalled, started straight up again and drove on, about 300 yards later I get ‘fault in drive’ appear on the dash, followed by the car basically not wanting to get out of low gears and changing down instead of up at 50mph, the manual select did nothing, eventually after letting off the accelerator it changed up and drove around 20 miles home without issue.
The fault didn’t return until now around a week later, started the car and it died, started again and it died again, eventually got going and got to where I needed to be and turned it off, 5 mins later it would not start at all, cranking for a long time and no joy, it did eventually start but I thought it was done for. Now another few hours of driving with stops and starts and you’d never know it had ever happened 🤔 my generic OBD scanner picks up code P0401 for EGR, the car has always said emissions problem, it’s been mapped by the previous owner apparently. Not sure if it’s an issue with the EGR or something new that my scan tool isn’t picking up.
Today I removed the EGR (bottom N/S bolt was a pain to get to) and I will attach pics, there was oil in there, it didn’t look absolutely caked to the point of where it’s the culprit to me?
also to add, checked the voltage while running and it’s usually 14v on the nose most the time, however the coolant seems cold, it sometimes drops to around 65c on a long downhill, EGR stat?
Fixture Wood Gas Auto part Metal
Automotive tire Serveware Cookware and bakeware Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update, it just cut out while driving, got messages ‘drive control system, drive moderately’ ‘DBC failure’ then started up again, set off like it was in 4th gear for a while then back to kinda normal

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks like you have more than one issue looking at those codes. Each reports a failure of a sort that needs to be addressed. With that said, some may be connected (e..g a chain).

The EGR error won't be displayed if the EGR was mapped out in the ECU as claimed by the previous owner, so you probably were told porkies there.

Start working through the codes or take the car to an Indy near you to fix it for you. Either way, I wouldn't use it as is at present.

You will have to spend money to fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you have more than one issue looking at those codes. Each reports a failure of a sort that needs to be addressed. With that said, some may be connected (e..g a chain).

The EGR error won't be displayed if the EGR was mapped out in the ECU as claimed by the previous owner, so you probably were told porkies there.

Start working through the codes or take the car to an Indy near you to fix it for you. Either way, I wouldn't use it as is at present.

You will have to spend money to fix.
another garage with a scanner pulled codes for the crank position sensor too, I’ve put a new one in and will see how it goes tomorrow

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't forget to update on this, quite a scary story in my eyes. Very interested in the solution, not that i'm having the same issue but it's always handy to know the what and the how and the end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Don't forget to update on this, quite a scary story in my eyes. Very interested in the solution, not that i'm having the same issue but it's always handy to know the what and the how and the end.
I hate when that happens, you read a full thread from someone describing your exact issues and then they never update it. So I was not wanting to jinx anything as I had a 700 mile trip coming up 😬 so it did absolutely none of what’s been previously happening after putting on the new crank position sensor, by the way, for anyone fitting it yourself, flexi ratchet and number 12 female torx/star socket for the starter, once the starter bolts have cracked, you can juuuust get a 10mm ratchet spanner on them and awkwardly work them out. The sensor MUST be in perfectly, first time it seemed home and tightened up ok, however it would crank no start, so the starter was back off to get to it again 🥴 absolutely none of the shaft part of the sensor should be visible when looking in at it or you’re gonna have a bad time.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Red

1 - 9 of 9 Posts