BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 328... Supra engine swap!

6K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Daler69 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was toying with the idea of a super charger but my engine is on it's last legs, I don't want to replace with another weak 328 engine. Iv heard of a lot of swaps involving supra turbo and twin turbo engine. Any one know of a garage where I can drop my car off with a wad of cash and pick it up later with 450hp+? I dont have the space or tools to do this myself :(

#8 ·
Insurance on an m5 is stupid, parts are expensive and Iv already spent 4.5k on this car to make it look, feel and handle how I like, I can't just give up on it. I miss the power of the 335 :( I wouldn't mind spending 5k on an engine conversion for it, 450 odd bhp for 5k? Yes please :-D

There has to be a garage out there that takes on these kind of jobs

#10 ·
I could think of a better way to spend 5k :)

What happened to you supercharing it???

#11 ·
My engine is on it's last legs and with a supercharger, a rebuilt engine and a smaller pulley for about 12psi I'll still need to do more stuff to get any where near 400bhp... A supra engine is much easier to get power out of. I don't really have anything else to spend my money on lol, if I didn't spend it on cars I wouldn't know what to do with it! I liked my 335 and that was 17k, if I spend another 5k on this car the total will about 10k and I'll have a car thats a bit special, handles and looks awesome cuz of the work Iv already done and be much faster.

Cheers Andy, I'll give him a shout

#13 ·
I wouldnt say extreme as it has been done in a E36...

Why not put a V8 in there... That would sound lush...

I do see where you are coming from tho... If I had loads of dosh to blow... I would take a trip to Alpina and say make it special... Probs would cost more than 5k... but hey you have spent 4k on this car... Saying its been to alpina for "special" work would maybe get some of that money back you have spent ;)

Good luck finding someone

Oh if you dont know what to do with the money give some to charity (ME) hahaha

#15 ·
Super charger from ESS is 3k with delivery and to get the power I want (at least 400bhp at the flywheel) the engine would need some work and the supercharger kit modifying to make more boost. It would cost about the same as I'm looking to spend to get 500bhp. I was looking at v8 installs and I do like the idea cuz I Havnt had a v8 yet but I can't find as much info on it :)

#16 ·
That's for a centrifugal charger as well, if i want a twin screw I'm looking at 6-7k for the kit

#18 ·
#19 ·
#20 ·
Both non turbo autos :( Iv already spent loads of money making this car how I like it and I won't get that money back selling it. Iv always wanted something a bit special and engine transplants are the way for me.

#21 ·
It's the over 500bhp supra transplant stories that's making me want it so bad! Only other way is an e39 m5 v8 swap with a supercharger but that's well over budget.

Cheers for the replies so far, I have a couple of guys numbers who are into silly mods and tuning so hopefully it will lead somewhere :)

#25 ·
Woop Woop! Found a guy that can and is happy to do it :thumbsup putting a 1jz rather than a 2jz in it, for 4k it will be a drive in drive out job with 400bhp on Toyota management then for a few hundred more bucks at a later date 500bhp with stand alone management. That's all clocks working and daily drivable. He is currently putting a 1jz in a lexus is200 so I'm going for a drive over there tomorrow to have a look.

He's got a 1100bhp supra there and a fresh built 600bhp old gtr too :-D it's looking to be ready before winter really kicks in. I'm well excited! lol

Reactions: Spirit
#26 ·
Wow didn't see all that stuff. Cheers mate, I'll have a look at it all when I get back on the pc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.