BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 318iS rear mounts being trashed by new set up!

5K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  mistreku 
#1 ·
Well.. another suspension set up issue. I have the new rear set up in now and as warned the old rear mount plates gave up the ghost and split :frown any how I got a new set of rear mounts, took the car for a run this morning and the new mounts split... ???? :confused

I do have the rear slammed right down on the lowest setting and there is a amount of negative cam but I don't think this would effect it?

Is it just that the ride is to stiff for the mounts? Or is it likely i have done something wrong? This doput because it was really simple to do the rears... Any one got any ideas?

#3 ·
Well after talking to BMW IOW and some research the first set most defo split from being old and the new set popped out of the metal sleve which I am still in debate if I can fix it or not. I have pictures I can put up when I get to my laptop again but I am also thinking of getting renforced top mounts to just solve this problem.

I am using the hottunning full set up. They can be got through the
forum through hottunning. I have found them to be very good but just had and have some small teething problems :D

But the handeling is great!! And looks real good as well! If you want some pics they are on my project thread :thumbsup

#6 ·
Right after looking at RealOEM and studying my set up, I hadn't set it up wrong and the new hadn't split but popped out of the metal sleeve which is pointless trying to fix. So I have just bought some re-enforced mounts that I know will not pop out unless the body work gives up and it smashed through!

I'll get some pics up once it is all done explaining everything (in my project thread I will do this) :thumbsup

#7 ·
For those that want to know what rear mounts I used or am going to use, here is the sight giving some info about them

Rouge Engineering Rear Top Mounts

What I should now do is look into getting some shorted length rear dampers as my rear is lowered by something silly like 100mm so there is a lot or pressure from the normal size dampers forcing up in the mount. Hence the brand new standard set up broke after the first "heavy" bump. Hopefully these re enforced mounts will solve this problem for now.

:thumbsup

#8 ·
i'm pretty sure they will. where are you buying them from? coz i only found those in us.

#21 ·
cheers steve, that's a relief! :hihi allright then, i know you did a coilover upgrade on your 325i as well. any particular issues you could point during installation? i got jom coilovers (although i heard they all the same, no matter the brand) and 5mm spacers. i will also buy aluminium adjustable front mounts and rear top mounts prior to the installation, drop link are no problem on e36, so what else should i have in mind before attempting to fit the suspension? help greatly appreciated!

gabriel

#36 ·
i went for some reinforced ones, bought them for £36 a pair, they look quite solid. made in germany, by MEYLE. seem to be alright, especially paired with reinforcement plates. regarding the front, i went for the blue ones, they go on ebay for £80 plus shipping. adjustable, and fit properly as well. camber will be like stealing candies froma baby! :hihi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.