BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Dashboard Warning Lights E47 1 series 2008

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Brokenninja 
#1 ·
Hi, I have recently purchased a 2008 118d MSport. It was driving fine with no issues. Tonight for no apparant reason a steering wheel with a padlock on came up on the dash. It was in red so I consulted the handbook. It say ELV fault, engine wont start. But the car still starts up and drives ok. Is there any other reason as to why this light has come on? and is it a major concern?

Im concerned that the steering wheel lock will engage!!

Thanks

Dave

#4 ·
Yes, it's safe to drive.

It's down to a mix of stupid rules, and not too bright ideas.
All cars have to have a form of steering lock, and these used to be done by the ignition key in the side of the steering column.
When some of the newer cars have gone to smart fobs, there isn't a mechanical link so an electric steering lock is used instead.

If this gets stiff, you'll get the warning, and having pressure on the wheels when parked will give the same effect as having the wiggle and yank the steering wheel to turn the key.
When it's an electric steering lock, you won't realise the extra pressure it is under so it can jam a little. Giving the wheel a shake might help if you get a situation where the lock is jammed on and the engine refuses to start.
For now, however, avoid turning the wheel so make a steering lock click, and don't park with the wheels turned towards especially on hills.
BMW handbrakes aren't the best, so always double up and leave the car in gear.

#7 ·
Well I finally got hold of my warranty company today. They have registered my claim but say its my responsibility to have a diagnostic within 14 days or my warranty is invalid. I also have to foot the bill for it. So I'm booked in at Darren Wood Indy at Bredbury for tomorrow. I've used him before, and there service is top dollar. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that its a software update only that's required. I will update tomorrow, hopefully with good news

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.