BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

newbie needs advice!

Tags
722 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Steve Barker 
#1 ·
Looking at two 330cd autos. One an se with 110,000 on the clock, the other a sport with 135,000. Without wanting to appear too thick, what should I be looking for?

#3 ·
Steve, E46 or E90?

At that mileage you will be looking at some serious issues and so go for the lowest mileage one IF it has a good oil change history, doesn't matter who does it as long as it has been done. You need to test drive it and then when warm let it idle for a minute and rev it (E46's only) if you get a puff of blue smoke it needs a new engine breather, if you get a cloud of blue smoke the damage to the turbo may have already be done. Listen for turbo noises and listen out for a "dump valve" sound on gear change, it usually indicates the downpipe flexi has gone.

On the gear box check for smooth gear changes.

If and when you buy the car get all the filter changed (air and fuel get neglected on all BMW diesels as they are not simple to get to) fresh oil, if an E46 remove the swirl flaps ASAP and check the engine breather is a vortex type. Also worth changing the gearbox sump/filter and oil, it is a £250 job but maintains the life of the box, BMW say it is seals for life but it isn't and they get tricky after 100k if you don't change the oil.

It is then worth changing the oil every 10k and the air filter every 30k and it should run to 170-180k before the usual injector/turbo issues kick in

#4 ·
E46. Both 2004. Thought swirl flaps only where a real problem on 320's as the turbo works harder. Not test driven a 320d but love the power of the 330. Now getting told by a colleague to go for 320cd Sport auto as they are a better compromise between power and economy... Guess more research required eh! :-\

#5 ·
Swirl flaps on all BMW dervs from 1999 on M57 autos to 2007 on 2.0 litre engines and 2010 on 3.0litre six cylinder engine. They remain beyond that but are a different design.

You need to blank the swirl flaps on any engine M47 or M57 up to 2005 or face total engine distruction

The 330d is a better engine and car, don't buy a 320d 4 cylinder BMW's just don't last.

As an FYI the swirl flaps issue is a lot to do with the life of the car, more town driving results in in more closure of the swirl flaps and more use of the EGR valve which clogs the inlet manifold with oil/soot deposits. Nothing to do with the turbo

#6 ·
Ah.. brings me to my next quandry. If 330d should I avoid the autos? I have a bad left knee and cant handle heavy clutches in stop/start traffic... I know about changing the oil regardless of the sealed for life malarky, but hear even the smoothest of boxes can let go with no warning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.