BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

99 E36 BMW 318is SETTING UP FOR GRIP

Tags
99 grip setting
3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  shoshinsha 
#1 ·
Hi guys n gals,

As some of you know I have a 99 E36 318is coupe whwich I am presently doing a project on, I have decided that I want to set the car up for grip as I feel I and the car will benefit more from it. I really do love to drift and would like to do more of it but I just feel this isn't the car for it and also I want to see just how far I can push it in the GRIP department.

It's have been dry weather here for the last two week or thereabouts and tonight it rained, nothing major but enough to make the roads wet. On my way home I found that the car just wanted to step out way too easily and whilst if I had a proper LSD I would have taken full advantage as it's not as hard on the car in the wet, but I don't and snap back is lethal :D

So I am looking for some suggestions from people who have set their E36 coupe up for GRIP as to what you have used and how you find it handles being setup for grip. The following is a run down of my car as to what it has fitted at present :

Eibach Front ARB
Eibach Front Pro dampers
Eibach Front Pro Springs
Eibach rear Pro Springs
Standard rear shocks
Standard rear ARB

Stripped out interior, one seat.
16" wheels with 225/55/16's all round

I want this car to be planted to the road and so I am going to swap over to coilovers and go to a 17" wheel and tire setup. I am also going to start powerflexing it bit by bit and shall fit my Eibach rear ARB and bushes also, after this it will be where it slows down for me and I am needing some further suugestions.

Thanks in advance for all your helps.

See less See more
#2 ·
As you know I have a similar setup to you, except Bilstein shocks and H&R bars. I found that the car grips better on the road with the bar set to soft.
You need to uprate the soft rear shocks and fit that rear bar.
Also dont forget tyre choice as well as all those mods will be wasted with shit tyres.

Mine sticks to the road like poo to a blanket, the passengers feel it round the corners now....:hihi

#6 ·
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply, yes I completely agree having chganged my front ARB adjustment I do find the car much better indeed on the front. I really need to get cracking the rear setup as this is where she is always breaking loose. The tires on the car are Vredesteins on the front and some scutter on the back called Triangle!!! These tires came on the car and were like new so they shall be staying as a run about tire until I can get new rims and tires......hopefully soon. :rofl @ "poo too blankey" :D

The X-brace from a convertible is bolt on and will make a difference by stiffening up the front end
E30 front wishbones are a bolt on part too, they have solid mounted outer ball joints. Although they won't increase grip they will make the turn in feel a bit sharper and they are cheaper than E36 wishbones :thumbsup
All I need to do now is find an X-brace @ a bargain price mate, and yes I have been interested in the E30 wishbone mod, thanks for the help :thumbsup

the 318is is a great handling car when i went to the nurburgring i pushed and pushed and couldnt loose it to a point i couldnt control! it was even handling on par with a e46 m3 :O i went out in mine yesterday to pick up a few things and it can be thrown around corners with ease and not budge! i have m3 top mounts bilstien b4 shocks and eibach pro springs and really good tyres i have conti contact 3s on the rear and very grippy eagle f1s on the front! and there is a picture on the nurburgring thread where my back wheel is actually right of the floor! now thats grip on a car like that!
Hmmmmm, the more I am thinking about it and reading you guys specs the more I realise my car is really lacking in the rear end..... really gotta sort this out!

instead of buying the whole front e30 control arm you can get meyle hd outer ball joints

Replace all your bushes, get a good alignment and get some good tyres.

Depending on what coilovers you go to you might be downgrading.

An lsd is definately noticeable for 'grip' as you say.
Hi bud,

Yes I understand about the suspension downgrade possibility with buying cheapo coilovers which is something I won't do, I would rather top of the line shocks and springs than cheap coilovers any day. Bushes are on order and defo need an alignment done but will be waiting till I have fitted my track rod ends, rear arb and drop links, and new bushes so as I am not throwing money away doing it twice. :)

My rear "TOE IN" needs adjusting badly as the rear wheels are pointing in at each a lot. Will get crakcing in the coming weeks on the rear and document it in my project thread.

Thanks for all the info guys, more is always welcome :)

#3 ·
The X-brace from a convertible is bolt on and will make a difference by stiffening up the front end
E30 front wishbones are a bolt on part too, they have solid mounted outer ball joints. Although they won't increase grip they will make the turn in feel a bit sharper and they are cheaper than E36 wishbones :thumbsup

#4 ·
the 318is is a great handling car when i went to the nurburgring i pushed and pushed and couldnt loose it to a point i couldnt control! it was even handling on par with a e46 m3 :O i went out in mine yesterday to pick up a few things and it can be thrown around corners with ease and not budge! i have m3 top mounts bilstien b4 shocks and eibach pro springs and really good tyres i have conti contact 3s on the rear and very grippy eagle f1s on the front! and there is a picture on the nurburgring thread where my back wheel is actually right of the floor! now thats grip on a car like that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.