BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

What Diagnostic Software and Leads do I need?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  rally1998 
#1 ·
Hi,

I want to be able to reset my Airbag light and check fault codes and see what the car is doing.

i have a 1997 520i Auto, with no OBD2 inside the car, so just have the round connector in the engine bay.

I've been reading all the threads on this but I can't understand what I specifically need.

Cheers

Jamie

#5 · (Edited)

So the BM Technic cable and software will install and work fine on a Windows 7 Laptop and be able to use the USB cable on my old '97 E39 with only the round connector under the bonnet?

I don't doubt anybodies knowledge so thanks I will order the BM Technic lot as hopefully it looks the one that should give no hassle.

Is anybody able explain the other thread that said you need a serial cable for the round connector?

Also what is ADS and is that to do with the serial business?

#6 ·
ADS is the real name for the 20 pin plug, and a "protocol" that used to be used with it.
Most cars before 1995 needed the ADS protocol, and E36s after about 1996 would need it for the ABS controller but most of the important stuff had changed to "obd" - ie. the USB type leads.

E39s should all be working fine on OBD/USB though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.