Owner of IBM T30 with GT1 interface (yellow box), any decent guides to using DIS + Progman?

Notices

Thread: Owner of IBM T30 with GT1 interface (yellow box), any decent guides to using DIS + Progman?

Reply to Thread
  1. Owner of IBM T30 with GT1 interface (yellow box), any decent guides to using DIS + Progman? 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Andy 328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi,

I've owned for a couple of years now, a IBM T30 laptop and a GT1 interface running BMW DIS v57 + SSS v32 software.

After playing around with it I have managed to use the DIS software to read and reset various fault codes reported by my car(s) ECU's. Unfortunately this is about the limit of my knowledge with this software as I have been unable to find any decent instruction manuals which highlights it's true capabilities.

I've experienced similar results with Progman. I had to google how to start this software up (bootos 3), and have successfully used it to alter the car's behaviour depending on the key used.

The capabilities of Progman is also unknown to me.

I have just recently upgraded my headlights to OEM Xenon ones, and am now facing the Check Lowbeam Lamps on the dashboard. Now I know this can be stopped by implementing a circuit which fools the check control into thinking there's a halogen bulb in the headlight when the ignition is off, BUT I've also heard that this can be reset via diagnostic software.

I'm wary not to fool about too much with Progman without a user guide as I don't want to cause any harm to my car, or stop things from working properly.

What is INPA?, is that a better alternative to DIS/SSS?

Did I really need to spend a lot of money buying a GT1 interface and a T30 laptop?

I've heard tales of people configuring their BMW's using a £25 cable. My kit cost 10x that amount, and I've not got any instructions on how to properly work it!.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    go into SSS, I think it is programming then retrofits, and you will be able to choose xenon lights and this will stop the bulb check.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Andy 328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    go into SSS, I think it is programming then retrofits, and you will be able to choose xenon lights and this will stop the bulb check.
    No offence, but 'I think' is not exactly what I was looking for..........

I can start up SSS, click 'Program' read some nasty looking text, click 'encode' and 2 things will happen:

1) Nothing will change
    2) I will have buggered up a control unit.

Last time I played with this without knowing what I was doing, my mates 328i's windows wouldn't go back up!

What i'm looking for, is a PROPER, instruction manual regarding operation of the SSS Progman software, as it's operation is not exactly self-explanatory.

The only thing I've been able to do is change the car's behaviour via it's CKM (Car Key Memory).

BUT, as I understand it, the SSS software is capable of doing far more, like:

Adjusting control unit to accept Xenon headlights without Check Control error
    Enabling the ability to run the Television whilst the car is in motion.

Doesn't anybody have a manual? or know where I can download one?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Andy 328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Continuing on the topic..............

Working on the 'I think' principle, I went to retrofits, added Xenon headlamps, started the encoding process, then got a message 'switch on parking lights to encode LWR'

Parking lights!?

So, knowing that I couldn't switch off ignition during programming procedure, I switched on the sidelights, then clicked continue, the operation to encode the LWR failed.

So, then I tried to 'reencode' the LWR using progman, this time I switched off ignition, and switched on 'parking lights' then tried to encode module = failed.

So, with this 'I think' strategy, I 'think' I've encoded the modules to accept my retroft Xenon lamps, BUT now the LWR, which I've since found out is the headlamp throw module, has decided to no longer function

Hence my headlights will now no longer adjust!

Now there's where the 'I think' strategy gets you!