BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

OBDII Diagnostic Software/Reader Advice

5K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Slacker-ray 
#1 ·
Before I get :flamed, I tried to find a thread for over 2 days about some diagnostics product advice, but could not find the thread I was looking for, so here goes.

I have decided that its always worth having a code reader device to hand, (should also be able to plug it into any car I want to buy in the near future and run a quick scan :D). I know that in some cases its more viable to get the laptop set up (cd-rom, serial cables etc).

What do I want from it

- extract & read fault codes (ideally with a description rather than just a code number)
- offer the facility to clear fault codes

what would be desireable

- the facility to read live running data stream values

I have had a quick search on google, not found any moderately priced hand held units around the £100>£200 mark, that look like they will do the trick.

However I have seen this (Elmscan 5 bluetooh wireless kit @ £149);

http://www.espautomotive.co.uk/trolleyed/10/

Brand NEW!
Wireless connection to your cars ECU - no cables to get tangled up in!

We're very pleased to be able to offer our brand new wireless diagnostics tool, which uses the well known Bluetooth system to connect wirelessly to your cars OBD2 port.

The system comes complete with everything you need including multiprotocol interface, OBD2 Cable, Bluetooth interfaces for both PC and Car and software on CD rom.

More about the interface...

Our OBD-II package includes everything you need to connect your PC to your car, interrogate it's ECU and read live engine data and read & reset engine fault codes.

Works on all OBD2 compliant cars - all petrol cars from Model year 2000 (however many cars supported OBD2 earlier than this) and diesel from model year 2003 onwards (again many diesels supported OBD2 earlier than this.
Whilst I am a bit slower getting to grips with bluetoothing everything, I would be happy to use a laptop, with the CD rom and cables to interact with the ECU.

Does this seem like a decent piece of kit that I should go ahead and purchase? If not, can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain a product of this sort ideally no more than £200?

See less See more
#2 ·
Before I get :flamed, I tried to find a thread for over 2 days about some diagnostics product advice, but could not find the thread I was looking for, so here goes.

I have decided that its always worth having a code reader device to hand, (should also be able to plug it into any car I want to buy in the near future and run a quick scan :D). I know that in some cases its more viable to get the laptop set up (cd-rom, serial cables etc).

What do I want from it

- extract & read fault codes (ideally with a description rather than just a code number)
- offer the facility to clear fault codes

what would be desireable

- the facility to read live running data stream values

I have had a quick search on google, not found any moderately priced hand held units around the £100>£200 mark, that look like they will do the trick.

However I have seen this (Elmscan 5 bluetooh wireless kit @ £149);

http://www.espautomotive.co.uk/trolleyed/10/

Whilst I am a bit slower getting to grips with bluetoothing everything, I would be happy to use a laptop, with the CD rom and cables to interact with the ECU.

Does this seem like a decent piece of kit that I should go ahead and purchase? If not, can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain a product of this sort ideally no more than £200?

Hi mate,

I've got a few systems which I use,

I've got the carsoft for mercedes alone and also have BMW specific interface and reader and VAG-COM for VW and Audi only.

These 2 systems are great as they not only allow you to read and erase codes as standard code readers do, they will also allow you to access other modules on the vehicle i.e ABS, Alarm/immo, transmision, airbag, electric hood, etc they allow you to also retrieve error codes from these modules and re-code ECU's, alarm system, etc.

I aslo have an OBD2 reader which will read and erase all EOBD codes on all OBD2 compatible cars.......this bit of kit does what most PC based readers do includong the one you've supplied the link to and also allow you to view live data.........BUT.........these readers on read error codes related to emision control units i.e engine sensors and certain transmission faults if applicable......they will not allow you to do what the other (above units) will allow.

If you just want a read and erase codea and view live data then you can get an ELM code reader kit on ebay for around 15-30 squids but we have the kit from GENDAN UK, their software is more superior I think adn contains full fault code deffintions but their kit is around 150 squids- will work on all OBD2 cars regardless of manufacturer.

The manufacturer specific interfaces i.e carsoft, VAG-COM will allow you to do much more..again GENDAN UK to do those but they are available on Ebay at a fraction of the cost around 60 squids each................

If you basically want one for your own BMW then I woulod go for the BMW interface and Reader.

#4 ·
If you just want a read and erase codea and view live data then you can get an ELM code reader kit on ebay for around 15-30 squids but we have the kit from GENDAN UK, their software is more superior I think adn contains full fault code deffintions but their kit is around 150 squids- will work on all OBD2 cars regardless of manufacturer.
Can you give the exact name of the product that I am looking for on Gendan UK's website?

#3 ·
Ok, we're getting somewhere now. The GENDAN UK kit you mention seems like more what I am after, effectively it needs to be able to do the job across any OBD2 diagnostics port/work on as many cars as possible (not sure if my 97' 328i Coupe has OBDII). If not, I hope they are able to supply a suitable connector/linking cable etc.

My Volvo has OBD2 and IIRC the Porsche has it as well. I would like it to be compatible with any car I get in the near future (E46 M3, XJR, RS6, E55K AMG).

I'll see if I can google them.

#5 ·
If that;s the case then I would go for the Gendan Kit, believe me I've used some of the other pc based readers and they are pretty shite mate.

Your 1997 328 should have the 20 pin adapter and will be OBD2 compliant, GENDAN do the 20 pin adaptet aswell but it is only a few squids on ebay.

Check out GENDAN UK's website, they have screen shots of the systme up and running- it is pretty cool

What kind of Porsche u got mate?

#6 ·
we have a 996 turbo and a 997 S withn the the family ....

I am looking on the website at the moment, looks a bit cluttered so working my way through it.

#8 ·
is this the one you meant;

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_ENG327P.html

The screen shots look OK for the software in use.

It says 2001+ petrol cars, so I assume i will require the adapter for my BMW or other vehicles pre 2001?

This software activation, is this a one-off fee or an annual one?

#9 ·
It will work fine with your 1997 bmw mate, I've used it on various 1997 bm's.

The activation fee is a one-off payment, you basically download the software from their website and then activate with the code they give once paid for.

The good thing about these guy's is that they actually wrote the software themselves, so they can offer full tech support without having to refer you to anyone else.

#10 ·
By the way DSK,

It will work on all OBD2 Compliant cars, the lead that comes with the kit is a 16 pin adapter.........99 % of all OBD2 cars have this port, some older bmw's amd mercs have 20 pin ports- can easily obtain adapter, then older jap cars have a weird 2 or 3 pin socket including the older K-line vw/audi's.

Porsche's like the ones you have are all 16 pin.

#11 ·
thanks for that, going to take a longer detailed look at thier screen shots (looks to do everything I want, just read/erase fault codes and 'view' live data stream values to see whats going on). nice to see that the price seems ok too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.