BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Obd Issues.

Tags
obd
7K views 56 replies 5 participants last post by  PromETHieus 
#1 ·
I bought myself an obd connector, it connects to another adapter to usb, have finally got around to trying to hook it up to my car, had spent 2 days getting the vmware and other software included installed, but when I connect to car it cant find it, i have set all the port configuration settings, but yet, still nothing.
I assume that the OBD connector is the one under the bonnet, mine is the 323i touring 1999 built , May 1999.
Really need some help on this please as I am trying to get the airbag light reset, the last guy that had the car, changed the steering wheel.
the abs light is also on as the abs/wheel speed sensor was broken, when taking the Seized calliper off the other day, I bought a new one and installed it, but the light is still on, I did the key position and 1 min trick, to see if it would reset, no joy, am waiting on discs and pads to be delivered, I will be putting on new callipers on both fronts. As soon as I can stump up the money for them.
Anyone live in my area, that would be able to shed some light on the OBD side of things. I live in the Forest of Dean, would be very grateful for any help possible.

#7 ·
Okay I have been at it for 3 hours now, I have the latest Inpa installed, when I start the program up, it displays no info about car, key position set to last one before starter activation. obd tool is connected to the computer via usb tool, the adapter is connected to the plug under bonnet, all firmly connected, but program states, no connection found. I am not sure what is going on here, all I want to do is reset the asc/airbag light after installing new sensor, and have the airbag light reset.
This is driving me nuts, is there anyone who can offer any more info, advice, all of which is much appreciated.....

#9 ·
This is the lead I bought from eGay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120760680041&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123#ht_8319wt_1400

Have brought pc back in the house again, going to wipe it and redo the installation again, including windows xp, but i have a sneaking feeling that the lead is not communicating with the car, I am pretty sure the lead I have is the right one, as I asked this question when I bought it off of eGay......cost 5.99 for the adapter and i think 20.00 for the usb obd. We shall see. If anyone feels tempted to come up and have a look, I can give some petrol money, as many cuppas as needed and good chat. .....lol ......if your not in you can't win.

#11 · (Edited)
Hi there, became a paid member on 4shared, I am now downloading the required files.

Will keep updated, but this sure is driving me nutts...also still waiting on discs and pads, I know that I will deffo need to get this all sorted as I also found out today that as of april 2012, I would fail an MOT if i have any warning lamps at all showing.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to get the files downloaded and have a fresh install of xp on my other machine I use in the garage, would anyone be able to vnc/teamviewer remote to me and help install the software for me, I would record the install and then up a howto video on how this is done.

Think something like this needs to be done as there are always alot of questions about this.......It would also help all the guys on here who are looking to do the same thing and would stop people who were of the mind to just pull a bulb/ led from their vehicle, and so doing so would also help to keep our beloved bimms on the road in tip top working order.

Was also thinking, would it be better to install windows 7 on the other machine as I know that the INPA has been got to work on it too......

#12 ·
Hi guys again, just to get this clarified, this is the usb and adapter I have, also this is the onboard Connector my car has and lastly this is details of my exact car.
Before I go through the brain draining exploits of trying to get this to work again, are these the right leads and adapter for my car, which is an E36 BMW 323I TOURING 1999 , Built May 1999.
It is just that I read part of the INPA sticky and a guy had the 93 bmw and there was something about ADS and he had to get some other connector, so was just looking to see if this would be the case for me.........{hopes not}
If some one can confirm this for me, then I will endeavour to get this done.

Cable Electronic device Technology Wire Electronics accessory
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Auto part Alloy wheel Wheel Tire Vehicle
Technology Electronic device Auto part

#13 ·
Yep, you should be able to communicate at with most systems, sometimes only the ABS won't respond.

Plug in the cable, and see where it appears in device manager and note down the com port.
You can also set the latency to 1 here under the settings.

When you install inpa, you need to make a change to the system paths to add c:\ediabas\bin into the list,
When installing, it'll ask you what com port you are on, and tick the USB box underneath.

You may find you need to do another install after, (first use the setup.exe and then next go to referenz/install and you'll see something like instprog.exe.)

With them done, you'll need to change the obd.ini file in ediabas/bin to make you you have COM"x" and hardware=USB, and copy that file and put it in c:\windows

#14 ·
9. Install OBD Setup

From the above extracted file set, double-click the file 'Step 3_Final Update.exe'.
The Destination Path should be left as it is, then select 'Install'.
Select 'Yes to all'.
Once completed, the window will close itself.

Am at the above stage, when it finishes it throws up a window and it has an icon in it and says invalid image, so i click the ok button and it closes...........is this a problem?

#19 ·
Edit the file 'C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT\INPA.INI' in Notepad, locate the section that starts with '//F3', remove the slashes at the beginning of the three lines of text, and amend any instance of 'F10' to 'E46'.

where it says this, in my install, there is not even a //F3 section in the ini

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.