INPA - Airbag status section for SLV, what is SLV?

Notices

Thread: INPA - Airbag status section for SLV, what is SLV?

Reply to Thread
  1. INPA - Airbag status section for SLV, what is SLV? 
    Ultra Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    MackemX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 I wish!
    Year of Manufacture:
    Brand New
    Transmission Type:
    Flippy Paddle
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Does anyone know what SLV is exactly? It's within the Airbag section and Google isn't much of a help on this occasion. The car it's connected to is a 2005 E46 convertible

what's puzzling is there's no errors when I read them but when I look at STATUS I can see this

Last edited by MackemX; 05-06-2012 at 21:50.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    First up it's probably an acronym in German, and may be the seatbelt buckle detector at a guess.

Car Details
    MackemX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 I wish!
    Year of Manufacture:
    Brand New
    Transmission Type:
    Flippy Paddle
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joylove View Post
    First up it's probably an acronym in German, and may be the seatbelt buckle detector at a guess.
    yeah I also guessed it's one of the German acronyms as I've seen the more common ones before. Even tried a Google.de search but again couldn't find anything

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    MackemX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 I wish!
    Year of Manufacture:
    Brand New
    Transmission Type:
    Flippy Paddle
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    clutching at straws but looking at this post below, could it be something to do with the driver seat back rest? he mentions not locked for the back rest, although there is no constant seat belt warning light . It does come on if you turn on ignition but only for a few seconds which is normal procedure for the E46 (I think)

Link to thread about e46 seatbelt warning light

Yeah you're right - anybody in CT that can be recommended?
    Also, something interesting I just read in the manual:
    The seatbelt warning light also flashes if the backrest is not locked in position.
    I found this in the manual, I wonder if whatever it is that detects if the backrest is locked is faulty?

found this thread elsewhere on bimmerforums so going to check out the switch when I get the car back again

2000 E46 323ci - Seatbelt,light,flashing

Quote Originally Posted by scordeanpio View Post
    Hope this is posted in the right section
    I brought my convertible with quite a few minor problems and after hours of reading through the forum posts,I have sorted them out except for the flashing seatbelt light.........until now.There is a microswitch in the seat that when faulty sends a message to the ecu that the backrest is not locked. I changed pretentioner,occupancy bypass and modified seat wiringloom before I eventually tracked it down to being the microswitch.That flashing light was driving me barmy and its a fairly simple job.
    Basicly unclip the seat switch cover,then remove the 2 torx bolts in the side holding the black plastic thing,remove the seat hinge cover{another bit of plasic[screw at the back lift and pull]}the microswitch is behind a plastic clip/cover hld in with a 20 torx.As you unscrew the bolt put a flat screwdriver behind the bolt as it seems to unscrew in 2 stages.Thats it...replace and refit.
    The switch is £30+vat from bmw
    Hope this helps cause its made my life 100% better.

Car Details
    MackemX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 I wish!
    Year of Manufacture:
    Brand New
    Transmission Type:
    Flippy Paddle
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    I've been told that SLV is possibly a German acronym for Sitz-Lehnen-Verriegelung as Google translater it as seat back latch

only thing is that I've already stripped the seat and looked at the switch! I couldn't see anything physically wrong with the switch. While I had the switch out, I noticed that in the switch down position it reads 750 Ohms resistance and switch up it read something like 75 Ohms. There may be more to the switch inside the black gel bit but would a 750 Ohm resistor be a cheap solution? I wasn't going to rip the gel apart to find out though as I didn't fancy paying out £30+VAT!

after rebuilding the seat, if I tilt either the driver or passenger seat forward then the seatbelt light flashes on the cluster and locking the backrest into position knocks it off so they are working fine from what I know.

I don't know what it was like before I took it apart but thinking back, I do recall the seatbelt light would flash sometimes when turning ignition on, some times flashing longer than other times but maybe that's because I had the passenger seat tilted forward occasionally

the 1st pic shows the outer switch cover in position
    the 2nd pic shows the cover pulled off (just clipped in and simple to pop out) and the bolt keeping the switch in
    the 3 pic shows the top of the switch
    the 4th pic shows the switch and the black gel bit

the number was BMW 7004754 but I cant find anything on that plus it will probably have a preceding number

so it looked like I was on the right track and the time spent stripping the seat side wasn't wasted (plus I found £1.72 in the seat rails ). Unfortunately, the error is still there so I'm still puzzled as to what is going on as how does the seatbelt warning light still work as it should on the cluster yet INPA doesn't see it and thinks there's an error?

I also saw this when I looked at F3 CODE so it would be interesting to know what it is seeing as it also mentions SLVs for the passenger side being built in, yet it only showed the driver's error but doesn't show anything for the passenger in the original picture above (even though it also works with the light when I tilt it forward)