An idiots guide to BMW INPA installation with a modded USB Vagcom interface for WinXP and Vista... - Page 4

Notices

Thread: An idiots guide to BMW INPA installation with a modded USB Vagcom interface for WinXP and Vista...

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. INPA Install issues...help 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ron_of_orange's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e39
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    Salon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dailydoggy View Post
    anybody who wants a good known working BMW INPA software setup contact me or PM me @ BMW Forums as i do not frequent this forum these days..

i have modified the folder slightly by adding the USB interface FDTI drivers, and a copy of this install guide, its zipped up with WinRar i also have WinRar uploaded aswell...
    After suffering several failures and much frustration I’m hoping to find some assistance for my INPA installation: I joined this forum yesterday…I read the Idiots guide. I’ve tried several things to correct what I call my dilemma. First I feel it may be good to qualify who and what are the players and what do they bring to this effort. Due to several cable/connector combinations to fit several different vehicles in several different country with different laws established at different times.

I’m attempting to install the INPA 4.4.7.0 program along with EDAIBAS program EBAS32. EXE (6.4.3) dated 12/4/2002
    My vehicle is a later 1999 E39 528i with two diagnostic ports (ODB2 and ADS)

Red = my changes/comments apply below:

I believe I fit this scenario:

20pin OBD1 socket Scenario 2:
    You have an E38 or above that does not use the L-Line anymore and does not have pin15 of the 20pin socket is installed / wired. Those cars and all modules (ECUs) inside them behave pretty much the same as the later 16pin OBD2 socket equipped ones, and you will have full access to all modules (ECUs) using Interfaces that were intended and designed for the 16pin OBD2 socket, all you will need is an Adapter from OBD2 female to the 20pin plug.
    (We recommend that you only use adapters made by us because adapters made by other manufacturers might not have all the wiring needed to work correctly for the products sold by us)
    Since Interfaces that were intended and designed for the 16pin OBD2 socket can be used for those cars and they get setup as "STD:OBD" you can choose any comport number for them (which must be assigned in the obd.ini of course) and also make use of converters such as USB to serial, Express to serial, PCI to serial and PCMCIA to serial cards without any problems. I have a USB to serial (Comm.) converter (with the FTDI chip) built into the ODB2 cable connector)

Common Issues and Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What will happen if I use an Interface that was intended and designed for the 16pin OBD2 socket with an Adapter from OBD2 female to the 20pin plug on a BMW such as the E39?
    A: Everything will be fine, since all modules in this car will behave exactly the same as in a 16pin OBD2 socket equipped BMW you will be able to access all of them.

FYI = MY Red high-lighting of the text ends here or is by other means or contributing information as provided by other sources such as pasted images, etc

The item I bought from eBAY(UK) Oct 14, 2012

BMW Diagnostic USB Cable Code Reader Interface + Full Adapter Set INPA SSS DIS
    Cheapest, With Free software + Installation Guide
    Item Number 120987489499

ebay item_odb2 cable set.jpg
    URL
    BMW Diagnostic USB Cable Code Reader Interface + Full Adapter Set INPA SSS DIS | eBay

tidbit cable description.jpg

Now to my dilemma (as I see it):
    1. My efforts on my vehicle and or laptop haven’t been able to get a response to my inputs when plugged in to either ports on my car. I do see my input selections being accepted on the laptop…such as the selecting of your vehicle (for me this is the <F5> E39). Also the selecting of systems such as chassis, body, transmission, radio, CD player,etc; are accepted as inputs. However, when I push the “Enter” Key on my Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 MK3 laptop running Win xp Pro, SP2 I receive an error message “cannot compile scripts”.

I should also mention that the TWO BLACK DOTS are not BLACK. The explicit instructions state that this is essential.
    I followed the very explicit installation instructions provided with my items from eBAY. And IMHO the instructions are complete and compare favorably with those provided elsewhere as well as here on this forum’s offerings.

I’d also offer this tidbit of information: The C:\INPA\BIN directory (folder) has an error file with the name “inpa.err”. This file offers the following information based on my efforts to select a subject as offered on the 1st screen. For example when selecting “E39 \communication systems \ radio.” I’ll get an error message POPUP box and an error file is also created stating:
    C:\INPA\sgdat\radio.ips(455) : error I227: Can’t open file
    C \INPA\sgdat\radio.ips(455) : error I014 : Undefined global symbol [inpainit]
    C:\INPA\sgdat\radio.ips(455) : error I014 : Undefined global symbol [inpaexit]

My Panasonic Toughbook Laptop has both USB and a Serial Comm. Port. I have attempted to connect at both the ADS (bonnet) and the ODB2 (dash).

I have two ODB.ini files posted in the following directories/folders
    One here in C:\ Windows and also C:\EDIABAS\BIN\ODI.BIN File (see comment below)

The ODB.ini file reads as follows
    [ODB]
    Port= Com1
    Hardware=USB
    RETRY=ON
    UBAT= ON
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Final comment(s)…
    1. I feel there may be an error in this file…perhaps the need to see the “ODB or ADS” as hardware?
    2. The folder ODI.BIN File was generated during the installation. The format is a bit unusual. Should this be corrected to C:\ODB BIN or perhaps some other variation such as C:\ODBBIN or whatever?
    Looking for a little help …I’ve been to the idiots guide for INPA dummies. I obviously fall far short of the needed qualifications.

Hopefully this Nov 2012 effort might serve for some other BMW owners suffering similar pains with the newer cables being offered with built in Serial to USB converter chips by FTDI.
    As part of my efforts…I had to go here FTDI Drivers
    to get a driver that would see the ODB2 cable when I made my very first attempt to connect to the ODB2 port under my dash. Hopefully this isn’t part of the problem I’m having as well. Anybody knowing about this in invited to jump in.

From across the pond,
    Thanks in advance,
    ron_of_orange

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jas1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 525d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 Speed Manual (Has to be!)
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi Dailydoggy.

Thanks for your guide. Easily one of the simplist and clearist to follow on the Web! (No small feat!)

Could you help me with this one question please?

Will this VagCom cable work with the D-Can protocol for my BMW 525d - E60 LCI. It is a 2008 D-Can Model.

Or is this cable mod for the pre- March 2007 cars only?

Ive looked all over the WEB and have managed to decipher that I need a D-Can Cable. NOT the K-Line ones. (Which I believe was for cars before March 2007)
    Just cant seem to find anywhere if this Mod will be okay for Beemers AFTER 3/2007...

Hope you can help. As I really need to get the faults read for a right shi**y misfire! Cant afford to pay the Stealership the £95+ VAT they want!

Thanks in advance..

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Feldheld's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d (150hp)
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 november
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dailydoggy View Post
    this is hopefully idiot proof Installation instructions for INPA with Windows XP Pro (32-bit) and a modded £7 Vagcom USB interface off ebay.

Firstly open up your £7 Vagcom interface by removing the 4 x phillips screws on it
    Get yaself a fine soldering iron and with a blob of solder,solder pins 7 and 8 together on it and put it back together…

What is this modification for?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    decky-320d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    hi i got up as far as Go to C/ediabas/bin..
    Find the OBD.ini or OBD file and double click
    Your settings will be dispayed make sure they read as below
    PORT= COM? (your com choice entered and set earlier)
    HARDWARE=USB
    RETRY=ON
    UBAT=OFF (type this command in manually in this position)
    Exit and save
    Right click andCopy the amended OBD.ini file and paste it into your C/windows folder
    Now go back to the INPA \install folder on C drive.
    Open C/INPA folder/REFERENZ/INSTALL.
    Double click instprog.exe
    Ok the german writing page
    Select English and continue.
    At destination drive page make sure C drive is selected and continue.
    Now select BMW “GROUP RECTIFICATION PROGRAMME UK” from the list and click continue
    Now select the following:
    Ediabas tick update box
    INPA tick update box
    NCS expert expert tick complete box
    click continue
    Tick the box “delete the old NCS expert “
    Click install
    double check that C:\EDIABAS\BIN has been added to the path string in enviromental variables (right click my computer/properties/advanced/enviromental variables and select path in the list, click edit check its there and exit without changing anything

and now im rele stuck, the inpa program still opens but will it work to find faults if i dont complete the rest ??

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    decky-320d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    ok got it sorted just stuck with this IFH-0018 INITIALIZATION ERROR
    program will be stopped any1 any ideas ??

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    gazwhittle's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    bronzit beiege

Thanks
    What a good guide and a good read, I've recently purchased a 1993 e36 316i saloon after my e30 died.

And after owning various other diagnostics software and hardware I thought now would be a good time to update my stock.

Now I've had a good read at both the beginners guide to inpa and this thread but my question is will the modded vagcom cable and obd2 to 20pin adaptor work with my with what I'm sure is a ADS only system on my bmw?

I need this just to pull codes.

Cheers guys

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,236 Times in 4,075 Posts
    not 100% on this but i think any sort of ADS connection or workaround for an ADS connection has to be done thru a serial connection type for a guarenteed connection...i think ive read somewhere somebody was successful with a USB and pacman adaptor tho i cant remember...
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Biotoxic's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 lawn mover and a E46 320d 6 speed manual.
    Year of Manufacture:
    96, 04
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Touring

Thanks
    Regarding the error messages ..... INPA_FAQ.pdf
    dailydoggy so if I solder those two pins together, I will be able to read the codes from my E36? Will I still be able to use the vag com cable(OBD2) without the adapter(16 to 20 pin) to read the codes from the E46 if the pins are soldered ?

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,236 Times in 4,075 Posts
    im pretty sure you can but not 100% certain i have a friend with 2x e36's who reckons it works but you dont get full connection to all modules as its not a full ADSsetup but ya get the important engine ecu and others...
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dailydoggy For This Useful Post:

Biotoxic (17-07-2013)

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gazwhittle View Post
    What a good guide and a good read, I've recently purchased a 1993 e36 316i saloon after my e30 died.

And after owning various other diagnostics software and hardware I thought now would be a good time to update my stock.

Now I've had a good read at both the beginners guide to inpa and this thread but my question is will the modded vagcom cable and obd2 to 20pin adaptor work with my with what I'm sure is a ADS only system on my bmw?

I need this just to pull codes.

Cheers guys
    No, ADS lead only I'm afraid.

Ian

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast