An idiots guide to BMW INPA installation with a modded USB Vagcom interface for WinXP and Vista...

Notices

Thread: An idiots guide to BMW INPA installation with a modded USB Vagcom interface for WinXP and Vista...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1. An idiots guide to BMW INPA installation with a modded USB Vagcom interface for WinXP and Vista... 
    Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,247 Times in 4,081 Posts
    this is hopefully idiot proof Installation instructions for INPA with Windows XP Pro (32-bit) and a modded £7 Vagcom USB interface off ebay this is the original guide created by myself, any other versions found on the net are stolen copies of it or not by myself.

Firstly open up your £7 Vagcom cable (sold on ebay by various sellers) (note you must source a vagcom with either FDTI ft232RL or BL chipsets, RL chipset allows chip flipping/ignition detection fooling for NCS or SSS encoding) interface by removing the 4 x phillips screws on it
    Get yaself a fine soldering iron and with a blob of solder,solder pins 7 and 8 together on it and put it back together…

NOTE:you can buy a dedicated BMW cable instead if you want ignition and batt sensing indication in INPA and dont want to solder anything, but they are more expensive around 20-25 quid..

Ive used this install method without fault on umpteen machines now and not had to amend any registry settings or anything, its worked first time everytime this way..

there is a myth you have to use com port 1 with INPA this is total cobblers! you can use any com port number you like as long as the INPA OBD.ini file port selection matches your actual com port setting on the vagcom interface you have set..

First things to do is Download the 326MB version of BMW INPA from a torrent site or anyware you can get it ( and extract it to a folder on your machine..

you also may need to download the FDTI VCP (virtual com port) driver for windows XP for the Vagcom USB interface from the FDTI website, unzip it to a folder and copy this folder to the 326MB INPA installation software folder so you know where it is and for any future installations...

Virtual COM Port Drivers

1. Insert your modded OBD-II-USB vagcom cable into your usb-port
    -once it is detected by windows and prompts for the driver (at this point windows may find the drivers for you depending on the vagcom type) point it towards your FDTI vcp driver folder in the INPA folder if windows fails to find the drivers…
    It will then install the drivers (it will probably go thru this process twice just repeat the process)
    In the windows Device Manager, you should now see [Ports COM & LPT] ->> "USB Serial Port (ComX)
    right click this and click properties/port settings /advanced.
    at the top change your port number to your selection( if you do not wish to move or force a device on COM1 to another port because its already being used just select an unused port usually COM2 is unused) just remember your port selection for the INPA\install.
    Now change the transmit and receive settings in the drop down boxes to 2048 for both transmit and receive
    Now change the latency setting from 16 to 1
    Ok the changes and exit
    The usb vagcom cable is now setup.

2. Always use SAME USB-port from now on.

3. Installing INPA
    you must copy and paste your downloaded complete INPA installation software folder to your C drive.
    in your INPA folders click programmisation then double click setup.
    It should default to English so ok this.
    Click next till you get to the selection for software to install.
    Select or deselect in options boxes but as a minimum select INPA ,EDIABAS and NCS expert if you want it.
    Click next you will be asked to backup and restore (I declined this , unticked the box and skipped it all)
    Make sure quick launch and desktop icons are ticked.
    Click next.
    Now select STD-OBD in drop down box (should be by default).
    Click next.
    Now select the com port number you selected earlier from the drop down box and tick the USB to serial adaptor box.
    Click next and install (if it ask for backup and recovery just click skip to these prompts if you wish)
    Finish install
    Reboot
    Now go to C/ediabas/hardware/OBD/OBDsetup.exe
    Double click OBD setup.exe
    If all is well you should get a black DOS box up with various settings shown with a full house of ok’s on them, you may get the start one saying warning instead of an ok if you have selected an alternative com port just ignore it)
    press any key to exit if the list is ok.
    Reboot
    Go to C/ediabas/bin..
    Find the OBD.ini or OBD file and double click
    Your settings will be dispayed make sure they read as below
    PORT= COM? (your com choice entered and set earlier)
    HARDWARE=USB
    RETRY=ON
    UBAT=OFF (type this command in manually in this position)
    Exit and save
    Right click andCopy the amended OBD.ini file and paste it into your C/windows folder
    Now go back to the INPA \install folder on C drive.
    Open C/INPA folder/REFERENZ/INSTALL.
    Double click instprog.exe
    Ok the german writing page
    Select English and continue.
    At destination drive page make sure C drive is selected and continue.
    Now select BMW “GROUP RECTIFICATION PROGRAMME UK” from the list and click continue
    Now select the following:
    Ediabas tick update box
    INPA tick update box
    NCS expert expert tick complete box
    click continue
    Tick the box “delete the old NCS expert “
    Click install
    double check that C:\EDIABAS\BIN has been added to the path string in enviromental variables (right click my computer/properties/advanced/enviromental variables and select path in the list, click edit check its there and exit without changing anything)

Thats it you should be done and ready to get diagnosing

Always use the SAME USB port on your laptop when using the software…

i dont think ive omitted anything and i take no blame if you goose your car messing around with INPA software and dont PM me if you feck things up with it, post on the forum for a solution

PS if you want to do recoding with NCS expert (highly doubtful like its in german and impossible) you need ignition sensing which you dont get with a Vagcom but you can flip the FDTI chip (FT232RL chipset) on the interface with Mprog software to fake the batt and ignition sensing so you can encode...

Vista (32 bit)

here is my successful INPA install method for Vista (i have been told it works for WIN7 32 bit too)....

1. Firstly again open up your £7 Vagcom interface by removing the 4 x phillips screws on it
    Get yaself a fine soldering iron and with a blob of solder,solder pins 7 and 8 together on it and put it back together…

there is a myth you have to use com port 1 with INPA this is total cobblers! you can use any com port number you like as long as the INPA OBD.ini file port selection matches your actual com port setting on the vagcom interface you have set..

First things to do is Download the 326MB version of BMW INPA from a torrent site or anyware you can get it or just PM me If you want a known good working version to download, i have uploaded it zipped with WinRar with the FDTI drivers included just extract it to a folder on your machine...

IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN COPY you also may need to download the FDTI VCP (virtual com port) driver for some windows OS's for the Vagcom USB interface from the FDTI website, unzip it to a folder and copy this folder to the 326MB INPA installation software folder so you know where it is and for any future installations...

Virtual COM Port Drivers

.NOTE THIS INSTALL METHOD IS FOR WINDOWS VISTA 32 bit ONLY!

Insert your modded OBD-II-USB vagcom cable into your usb-port
    -once it is detected by windows and prompts for the driver if it does not find the driver then point it towards your FDTI vcp driver folder in the INPA folder…
    It will then install the drivers (it will probably go thru this process twice just repeat the process)
    In the windows Vista Device Manager (computer/system properties/device manager), you should now see [Ports COM & LPT] ->> "USB Serial Port (ComX)
    right click this and click properties/port settings /advanced.
    at the top change your port number to your selection( if you do not wish to move or force a device on COM1 to another port because its already being used just select an unused port usually COM2 is unused) just remember your port selection for the INPA\install.
    Now change the transmit and receive settings in the drop down boxes to 2048 for both transmit and receive
    Now change the latency setting from 16 to 1
    Ok the changes and exit
    The usb vagcom cable is now setup.

2. Always use SAME USB-port from now on.

3. Installing INPA
    you must Copy and paste your downloaded complete INPA installation software folder to your C drive.
    In your INPA folders double click the programmisation folder- then right click the setup icon and select “Properties/Compatibilty mode select XP service pack 2 and tick the box, click the apply button and exit now double click the setup icon and begin the setup.
    It should default to English so ok this.
    Click next till you get to the selection for software to install.
    Select or deselect in options boxes but as a minimum select INPA ,EDIABAS and NCS expert if you want it.
    Click next you will be asked to backup and restore (I declined this , unticked the box and skipped it all)
    Make sure quick launch or desktop icons are ticked.
    Click next.
    Now select STD-OBD in drop down box (should be by default).
    Click next
    Select Com port number (you selected earlier) in the drop down box, tick the USB serial adaptor box

Click next and install (if it ask for backup and recovery just click skip to these prompts if you wish)
    Finish install and Reboot

Now go to C/ediabas/hardware/OBD/OBDsetup.exe
    Double click OBD setup.exe
    If all is well you should get a black DOS box up with various settings shown with a full house of ok’s in Vista this will be full of errors and missing OK’s we shall address this later with a registry edit..
    press any key to exit the list.
    Reboot
    Go to C/ediabas/bin..
    Find the OBD.ini or OBD file and double click
    Your settings will be dispayed make sure they read as below
    PORT= COM? (your com choice entered and set earlier)
    HARDWARE=USB
    RETRY=ON
    UBAT=OFF (type this command in manually in this position)
    Exit and save
    Right click and Copy the amended OBD.ini file and paste it into your C/windows folder

Now go back to the INPA \install folder on C drive.
    Open C/INPA folder/REFERENZ/INSTALL.
    Right click Instprog.exe/Properties/Compatibilty select windows XP service pack 2 and tick box and apply and exit.
    Double click the instprog.exe and install
    Ok the german writing page
    Select English and continue.
    At destination drive page make sure C drive is selected and continue.
    Now select BMW “GROUP RECTIFICATION PROGRAMME UK” from the list and click continue
    Now select the following:
    Ediabas tick update box
    INPA tick update box
    NCS expert expert tick complete box
    Click continue
    Tick the box “delete the old NCS expert “
    Click install
    Double check that C:\EDIABAS\BIN has been added to the path string in enviromental variables.. (Computer/System Settings/Adavanced System Settings/Environmental Variables” click edit check its there and exit without changing anything)

You can now test INPA on your car it will work with the INPA diags only and you will get error warnings with Ediabas running because of the OBDsetup command errors earlier,to address this copy and paste the following below into a notepad folder, save the file to your desktop and name the file “serial.reg” and select all files and save…

4. COPY and PASTE all registry data below…

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Serial]
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000000
    "Group"="Extended base"
    "Start"=dword:00000002
    "Tag"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000001
    "ForceFifoEnable"=dword:00000001
    "RxFIFO"=dword:00000008
    "PermitShare"=dword:00000000
    "LogFifo"=dword:00000000
    "TxFIFO"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Serial\Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Serial\Enum]
    "0"="Root\\LEGACY_SERIAL\\0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001
    "INITSTARTFAILED"=dword:00000001

You must copy and paste all the above icluding the windows registry bit or it will not execute to the registry later.

You now need to backup the registry just in case so you can restore it if need be...
    Click the windows icon start button bottom left on desktop and type in regedit in the small box and press enter to access the registry
    Click file then Export and name the file something of your choice and select ALL in the export range box and save it to somewhere safe..

Now double click the serial.reg file and apply it to the registry (right click the file and open with registry editor if it opens in notepad by default)

Go back to to C/ediabas/hardware/OBD/OBDsetup.exe
    Double click setup the blackbox should be clear of errors (you may get 1 if you have selected an alternative port number other than COM1 ignore it)

You now should be good to go with full functions and no error messages when using your INPA…
    Last edited by dailydoggy; 14-08-2014 at 09:01.
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dailydoggy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

1Animal1 (27-03-2012),1djspikey (21-03-2012),Alibaba (27-06-2012),blacsaintx (06-03-2015),floz (15-08-2013),hontoir (29-12-2011),lamb.chop (31-10-2013),mithun (19-06-2013),pyrosk (08-07-2015),seb318se (29-04-2014),SlowTech (03-01-2012),Spirit (03-01-2012),ssd (30-12-2012),theleet (19-05-2014),unclebigbad1 (05-01-2012),workhard playhard bmw (20-03-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    if you want a known working good copy of INPA PM me for download link its modified slightly with the FDTI drivers and this guide etc...
    Last edited by dailydoggy; 09-01-2014 at 21:45.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dailydoggy For This Useful Post:

1djspikey (21-03-2012),benjy (23-12-2014),dun (28-01-2016),FAL (03-01-2012),hagler (03-01-2012),Nitrospud (15-05-2012),SlowTech (03-01-2012),ssd (30-12-2012),theleet (19-09-2015)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    SlowTech's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 3,107 Posts
    Nice write up dd

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    unclebigbad1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    DD, Thanks for the writeup.
    I have the Vagcom cable and soldered pins 7 & 8 together.
    I received a CD with my cable, will this have the drivers for the cable. I have not yet checked as the label only says Vagom.
    I will try it later, however do you have a link for the drivers you have quoted above.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    if windows does not detect and install drivers when you plug it in point it towards the driver in the INPA folder as in above write up..

you have a PM...

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    unclebigbad1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    I found the files in the CD that came with the cable and it seemed to have loaded ok.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to unclebigbad1 For This Useful Post:

dailydoggy (18-01-2012)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    lotuschris's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Firstly, this guide is excellent.

Secondly, imagine a world where you only have Windows Vista, and have no access to either Windows 7 or XP. That is the world I am in!

How do I get Inpa (which I have torrented) to install on Vista?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    SlowTech's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 3,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuschris View Post
    How do I get Inpa (which I have torrented) to install on Vista?
    As you install INPA select all programs to be compatible with Windows XP.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    lotuschris's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Sadly at no point during the install is that a selectable option? The issue seems to be that in following the guide after installing INPA you are asked to:

i) right click "my computer" => "property" => "advanced" => "environment value(N)"
    ii) choose "system value(S)", find "path" and then add ";C:\ediabas\bin" and then save

However, it seems that Vista does not have the same menus or options as the older XP under "my computer" "property..." tabs and so on, and in the IT world it has moved on a bit in terms of OS. There is no "environmental variables" tab in Vista, or "path option" to chose and save to.

Hence I am stuck!

Does anyone ever manage to run INPA on Vista, or do you all have old rat-laptops you hold onto just for this purpose and reading codes on BMWs?

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    i tried vista too it was a fail aswell sadly...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dailydoggy For This Useful Post:

sparky62 (11-11-2015)

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast