Have you an occupancy bypass sensor fitted and pa soft ?

Notices

Thread: Have you an occupancy bypass sensor fitted and pa soft ?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Have you an occupancy bypass sensor fitted and pa soft ? RESOLVED 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrwhite's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti SE + Sport Pack
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    The reason for asking is that I recently purchase and fitted one after having the airbag light on adn read the code as fault with occupancy etc.

The advert states:
    Without fixing this problem, your airbags will not deploy. Are you willing to wait till you crash before you need them? Once the Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor is broken and the light is on, the airbags are disabled and useless.
    But Ive recently ran PA soft on my car, after the airbag light came on again and it read Passenger's belt tensioner, resistance too high, so was un related to the occupancy seat this time.

I then ran the live monitioring system, which stated that the passenger seat was unoccupied, even when I then sat in it. I thought these bypasses worked by telling the car that the seat was "always" occupied, even when not. Im concerned now that even if a passenger was in the car in an accident, their airbag wouldnt go off as it still wouldnt think there was any one there, the same as without it fitted?

Any one with these that can check what theirs states, or have an opinion / experience to add.

EDIT
    See final posts:

sensor did not work properly, was given one to try which does by wonderful member on here, If you need a sensor get one from him - tiny and plug and play and does what it is meant to, safely !
    Last edited by mrwhite; 20-03-2012 at 16:31.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    The Quote is BS.

With a sensor problem, it just means both airbags will fire, regardless of anyone sitting in the passenger seat or not.

The sensor bypass does the same thing, but without a warning light.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

mrwhite (02-10-2011)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrwhite's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti SE + Sport Pack
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    ok thats fine it it does, but why is it now saying seat not occupied when it is, will that not overide the sensor and not deploy it?

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I guess the bypass box you have is set for permanently unoccupied.
    The system needs to see some resistance to know the sensor is plugged in.

Possibly the system will recognise a permanently occupied seat as an error. That may infact make the system more dangerous as if could mean the passenger seat airbag would never go off.
    ie. it might be safer with the seatmat broken and assumed occupancy than bypassed and assumed empty.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

mrwhite (02-10-2011)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrwhite's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti SE + Sport Pack
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    thanks for the response.

ive contacted the seller / manfacturer who is surprised by my findings and wants me to mail it back to him for testing and he will send another,
    He states it should give a permanently occupied signal to the car not unoccupied.

Could the resistance to high on passenger pre tentionser be link linked to that too ?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I can't really say anything about that. I would assume the systems are separate but there is little free information out about it.
    I have a feeling the seller just buys these in, and is happy that the light switches off.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

mrwhite (02-10-2011)

Ultra Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    MackemX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 I wish!
    Year of Manufacture:
    Brand New
    Transmission Type:
    Flippy Paddle
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwhite View Post
    The reason for asking is that I recently purchase and fitted one after having the airbag light on adn read the code as fault with occupancy etc.

The advert states:

But Ive recently ran PA soft on my car, after the airbag light came on again and it read Passenger's belt tensioner, resistance too high, so was un related to the occupancy seat this time.

I then ran the live monitioring system, which stated that the passenger seat was unoccupied, even when I then sat in it. I thought these bypasses worked by telling the car that the seat was "always" occupied, even when not. Im concerned now that even if a passenger was in the car in an accident, their airbag wouldnt go off as it still wouldnt think there was any one there, the same as without it fitted?

Any one with these that can check what theirs states, or have an opinion / experience to add.
    I've made loads of these and just today offered to send one to mrwhite that should say OCCUPIED when plugged in so he can double check if all is OK. I don't use PA soft but use INPA to double check the status of the passenger seat

when you ran live monitoring, it wouldn't matter if you sit in the seat as the mat is now disconnected. The seat status will all depend on the bypass itself. You are correct in what you say as the airbag wouldn't deploy if the car thinks the seat is UNOCCUPIED. The pre tensioner error will be unrelated to the UNOCCUPIED status. Have you checked the wiring and plugs yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    The Quote is BS.

With a sensor problem, it just means both airbags will fire, regardless of anyone sitting in the passenger seat or not.

The sensor bypass does the same thing, but without a warning light.
    just to point out that in this case it wouldn't because if a bypass is fitted and the car thinks the seat is UNOCCUPIED as mrwhite's stated then the passenger airbag won't deploy just like it would if the mat was working OK without a passenger. The bypass he has isn't simulating a passenger for some reason and it could simply be a faulty unit or it could be the way it's been made

and yeah, if the light is on then I would like to think that BMW will have programmed the car to fire the passenger airbag due to the risks involved. That quote is just to get people to think about it and I've got the similar crap in my listings to be honest but not scaremongering. Strangely I'm the only one who mentions that because your car thinks it's passenger seat is now OCCUPIED then the seatbelt warning may flash/sound . Obviously it won't sound if the car thinks it's UNOCCUPIED

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    I can't really say anything about that. I would assume the systems are separate but there is little free information out about it.
    I have a feeling the seller just buys these in, and is happy that the light switches off.
    sadly I can't and won't say what I'd like to say . All I will say is that people have sent me their bypasses in recent months and I've tested them and found that some don't make the car thinks it's OCCUPIED or they don't use OEM parts so terminal fittings aren't the best

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwhite View Post
    Could the resistance to high on passenger pre tentionser be link linked to that too ?
    If both parts are showing a fault then check the seat multiplug connector.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrwhite's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti SE + Sport Pack
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MackemX View Post
    I've made loads of these and just today offered to send one to mrwhite that should say OCCUPIED when plugged in so he can double check if all is OK. I don't use PA soft but use INPA to double check the status of the passenger seat

when you ran live monitoring, it wouldn't matter if you sit in the seat as the mat is now disconnected. The seat status will all depend on the bypass itself. You are correct in what you say as the airbag wouldn't deploy if the car thinks the seat is UNOCCUPIED. The pre tensioner error will be unrelated to the UNOCCUPIED status. Have you checked the wiring and plugs yet?

just to point out that in this case it wouldn't because if a bypass is fitted and the car thinks the seat is UNOCCUPIED as mrwhite's stated then the passenger airbag won't deploy just like it would if the mat was working OK without a passenger. The bypass he has isn't simulating a passenger for some reason and it could simply be a faulty unit or it could be the way it's been made

and yeah, if the light is on then I would like to think that BMW will have programmed the car to fire the passenger airbag due to the risks involved. That quote is just to get people to think about it and I've got the similar crap in my listings to be honest but not scaremongering. Strangely I'm the only one who mentions that because your car thinks it's passenger seat is now OCCUPIED then the seatbelt warning may flash/sound . Obviously it won't sound if the car thinks it's UNOCCUPIED

sadly I can't and won't say what I'd like to say . All I will say is that people have sent me their bypasses in recent months and I've tested them and found that some don't make the car thinks it's OCCUPIED or they don't use OEM parts so terminal fittings aren't the best
    I will be taking you up on this and have replied to your pm and will report the findings

the pre tensioner issue can be made to go away by wiggling the cables underneath and then using the wipe fault on pa soft / my srs handheld system

as its a compact if i move the seat forward and then some one sits in it, it can set it off again
    so im guessing a faulty connection somewhere but its a bit of an awkward place to check

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrwhite's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti SE + Sport Pack
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Ok have now received the sensor
    I admit i was dubious as it looked a lot smaller and as if it wouldnt do anything, in comparison to the previous one I had, which had the same sensor and a black box attached,

These are screen prints from PA soft before and after fitting. While fitting it, i also wiggled the passenger pre tensioner cables to resolve that problem (temporarily) too, but you can see the clear difference between seat occupied and not

Old Sensor:

New Sensor:

BEFORE:

and AFTER:

so thank you MackemX
    the old one is on its way to you and your products get my support
    Last edited by mrwhite; 10-03-2012 at 19:14.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 30-04-2012, 15:56