525d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi maynardflies,

Could you maybe explain my error? Nothing happens when I press install and the path starts with c:\temp ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

3. hi I couldnt fix step 4 help? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    fatihce79's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manuel
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    I couldnt fix step 4 help?
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeantash View Post
    I have been trying to find clear instructions on how to achieve this installation successfully over the past few months, I kept giving up due to confusion, frustration, misleading threads and bad information. However, after much research, I have finally got it working and hope to help others searching for solutions. I can't guarantee that this is absolutely perfectly described but the process below worked in my case, hopefully it'll get you up and running too.

My specific use is to diagnose codes on my E46 M3 (2004) and so I can confirm that it works fully with this car. If someone wishes to take screenshots, I'll add them to the guide.

Assumptions and Clarifications

• This setup/installation DOES work on Windows 7 64bit.
    • This setup/installation DOES NOT require VM/Virtual Machine images.
    • This setup/installation DOES work on an E46 (my car).
    • This setup/installation DOES give you INPA and EDIABAS 6.4.7 and 5.0.2.
    • This setup/installation DOES NOT give you NCS Expert or anything other than above mentioned.
    • This guide assumes that you have a basic knowledge of Windows, Control Panel and Device Manager.

1. Buy a cable

I purchased a USB cable from EBay, it came with software but I didn't use it and instead used online resources that I downloaded for which I'll provide links. The cable I purchased is a USB to OBD2 connector that plugs into your BMW to the right hand side of the steering wheel, in the foot-well area.

This is the specific cable that I purchased and that I can confirm works:
    BMW Diagnostic Software Cable lead Ediabas Inpa DIS SSS | eBay

2. Download the software

There are many sources on the internet for INPA/EDIABAS, some seem to work, others do not - I used these specific downloads and they worked perfectly:

If for any reason the above links are missing/broken, PM me and I'll see what I can do. Thank you to whomever is hosting the above files and I hope that you do not mind me providing these links.

3. Setup/Configure your OBD2 USB Cable

1. Put the DVD that arrived with the cable into the DVD drive on your PC.
    2. Plug in the cable into a USB port on your computer, you must ONLY use this USB port from here-on for this cable. If your computer is connected to the internet it should automatically search and install in the USB cable drivers. If your computer does NOT automatically detect the cable, you may need to use 'Device Manager' to manually update/select the driver.
    3. Once installed, go to Control Panel -> System -> Then click on the Hardware tab, then click on Device Manager.
    4. Locate the entry 'USB Serial Port' in the 'Ports' section of Device Manager. It should read ‘USB Serial Port (COMX)'.
    5. Right-click on the above and select ‘Properties’, then click on the ‘Port Settings’ Tab and then click on ‘Advanced’.
    6. Change the 'Com Port Number' entry to 'COM1'.
    7. Change the 'Latency Timer (msec)' to '1'.
    8. Click on ‘OK’ and close all the windows, restart your PC to confirm all the changes.

4. Install INPA/EDIABAS 6.4.3 and 4.4.7

1. Extract the contents of the downloaded file 'INPA-6.4.3-full.rar' and you'll find a .NRG file. This is a CD image that you'll need to either burn to a CD or extract to a folder using a tool such as ISOBuster.
    2. Once extracted, go into the following folder '/REFERENZ/INSTALL/', right-click on 'INSTPROG.exe' and select 'Properties', click on the Compatibility tab and change the dropdown to Windows XP SP3 as the Compatibility Mode, also tick 'Run As Administrator', then click 'Ok', then double-click the file to run the installation.
    3. Select 'English' as the language and click 'Next'.
    4. Select 'Next' until asked for 'Configuration', scroll to 'BMW Group Rectification Programs UK', click 'Next'.
    5. Tick the option 'Complete' for all of the options shown.
    6. Select 'Next' and allow the installation to start.
    7. After a minute or so, installation will complete, close the Window.

5. Verify environment variables

1. Go into Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings.
    2. Select 'Environment Variables' and then verify that the System Variables 'TMP' and 'TEMP' both contain the path 'C:\EDIABAS\Bin' within the 'Value' string - for instance "C:\Windows\Temp;C:\EDIABAS\Bin".

6. Prepare Installation Files

1. Extract the contents of the downloaded file 'INPA_502_Updated.rar'.
    2. You'll use the contents of this archive during the next three steps.

7. Install BMW Tools

1. From the above extracted file set, find the file 'Step 1_ Install BMW Tools.exe', right-click on it and select 'Properties'.
    2. Click on the Compatibility tab and change the dropdown to Windows XP SP3 as the Compatibility Mode, also tick 'Run As Administrator', then click 'Ok'
    3. Double-click on the above file to start the installation.
    4. Set the Destination Path C:\BMW Tools (Don’t change this path) -> 'Install' -> 'OK'.
    5. Select 'English' -> 'Continue' -> 'Continue'.
    6. Select 'C:' -> 'Continue'.
    7. Select 'Skip' -> 'Next'
    8. Accept the defaults for programs to update, then click 'Next'.
    9. Select 'Com1', 'OBD' and 'USB to Serial Adapter' -> 'Continue' -> 'Continue'.
    10. The installation will begin and complete.

8. Install INPA/EDIABAS 6.4.7 and 5.0.2

1. From the above extracted file set, double-click the file 'Step 2_ Install INPA.exe'.
    2. The Destination Path should be 'C:\temp', leave as it is and click 'Next'.
    3. Choose 'English' and select 'Continue' and 'Continue'.
    4. Select 'C:\' and then 'Continue'.
    5. Select 'BMW Group Rectification Programs UK' and click 'Continue'.
    6. Tick 'Update' for all options where not grayed out, then 'Continue'.
    7. Select 'OBD', then 'Continue' and 'Continue'.
    8. The installation will begin and complete.

9. Install OBD Setup

1. From the above extracted file set, double-click the file 'Step 3_Final Update.exe'.
    2. The Destination Path should be left as it is, then select 'Install'.
    3. Select 'Yes to all'.
    4. Once completed, the window will close itself.

10. Complete Installation

1. From the above extracted file set, double-click the file 'serial port.reg'.
    2. When prompted, select 'Yes' and 'Yes'. You will receive confirmation that your registry has been updated.
    3. Locate the file 'C:\EDIABAS\Bin\obd.ini' and copy this file into your Windows folder.
    4. Edit the file 'C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT\INPA.INI' in Notepad, locate the section that starts with '//F3', remove the slashes at the beginning of the three lines of text, and amend any instance of 'F10' to 'E46'.

In theory, you'll now have an INPA icon on your desktop and Start Menu - right-click on it, select 'Troubleshoot Compatibility', it'll select 'Windows XP SP3', click 'Next' and 'Save'. This step isn't necessarily required, however it apparently provides a little more stability for the application.

Now, with your interface connected via the USB port (remember NOT to plug the cable into any port other than the port that you originally configured the cable with) - and the other end connected to your car, fire up INPA and hopefully you'll have a working diagnosis tool

Apologies for any inaccuracies, please do PM me and I'll make corrections, but to my knowledge the above is the exact process that I used to get mine up and running.

Finally, I'd like to thank FAL for his help/assistance with getting my setup fully working

Good luck! - PLEASE POST YOUR FEEDBACK/SUCCESS (oh, and any failures )

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    romeol's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e61
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AT
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kadirz View Post
    I need some help :-)

I have done:

7. Install BMW Tools

From the above extracted file set, find the file 'Step 1_ Install BMW Tools.exe', right-click on it and select 'Properties'.
    Click on the Compatibility tab and change the dropdown to Windows XP SP3 as the Compatibility Mode, also tick 'Run As Administrator', then click 'Ok'
    Double-click on the above file to start the installation.

My default path starts with c:\temp and I am changing it to c:\BMW Tools but when I press Install nothing happens and the window just shuts down. It happens both when I press install with c:\temp or c:\BMW Tools. The install button wont do anything :( What to do??
    Keep the path c:\temp the application needs to extract its files from archive in that 'temp' folder and after that the installation will start and ask you about the destination folder that will be BMW Tools.
    If the installation process doesn't continue you have a corrupted file or a local issue on your windows machine. Can you try to install it on any other PC to see if the installation works?

5. INPA Not Connecting to E38 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    si98justme's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    740i E38
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

I'm almost ready to tear out my hair and take a sledge hammer to my computer!

I have installed the INPA / Ediabas software as per this guide: Guide: Installing INPA/EDIABAS on Windows 7 64bit and I managed to get it started up etc but its not detecting my car (1996 E38 740i Steering on the right 20pin Diagnostics socket in engine bay only, it has no OBD II 16 pin connector. I have managed to read codes off the cars engine before and it does appear to give me access to the Transmission module as well, using an Autel Maxiscan 509 reading off pin 20 in the socket). I have checked all the things I could possibly have missed in the guide and all are set properly as far as I can tell it, I even tried modding the .ini file for the F keys to change E46 to E38 in all instances of the F2 key settings it throws an error when I do this though saying that it can find a certain file.

I have tried the OBD settings during first install and INPA doesn't see my car.
    I have also tried reinstalling windows 7 and the INPA software again except with ADS now selected as the interface, it still reverts to interface= std:obd in the .ini file and when I launch INPA and click info it still displays the obd interface even without being connected to the car. I did run the adssetup.exe in the hardware folder as well.

I have the following hardware:
    Laptop: Windows 7
    RS232 to USB cable (Astrum, PL2303 interface)
    An ADS interface made according to these guides: (Almost) free DIY ADS interface, and almost free ADS interface - openlabs using exact component matches for the list of parts provided.

Basically I want to know 3 things before I start from scratch:
    1) If you have successfully made one of these ADS interfaces and have one working can you confirm that it does work on an E38 using the PL 2303 USB -> RS232 adapter cable please let me know and please post detailed pics of your ADS, especially how its connected to the DB9 connecter (Reason is that I can't tell whether the diagram in the guides is from the front or rear of the plug and I might have it inverted).

2) If you know whether my car even uses the ADS interface or whether its OBD.

3) If you know whether the installation files linked in the INPA guide that I linked above support the ADS Interfaces or are they just for OBD.

4) What version of INPA would definitely to work (with correct hardware) on an E38 with only a 20 pin socket under the hood. Please PM me links if you have any for that version.

Please only respond if you know exactly how to and have got INPA installed on a Windows 7 ultimate x64 machine talking to an E38 with only the 20 pin socket using ADS or OBD. If you have pics or schematics or take-apart pics of your cables and or interface those would also help greatly.

Thanks in advance.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    invisible132's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hello. I've tried to connect my e46 to inpa, but i get error ifh-0003 data transmission to interface disturbed. I haven't set latency to 1, because there is no option to do that.

7. IFH-0009 Error on E46 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Betaman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Transmission
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan

Thanks
    Hi, I'm new here

I followed your installation instructions to the letter but when I connect to my E46 and try to reset my rain sensor, I get IFH-0009

When I enter the software, the computer sees the car. I shows that the switch is on and the battery is OK, so I know it is communicating with the car.
    I recently got a new windshield and needed to get my rain sensor working again, which prompted the download and install of INPA.
    It is installed on a Windows 7 64-bit laptop. Cable is recognized and configured according to instructions.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated for a noobie like me!

Thanks!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mrluke's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SE

Thanks
    I actually just bought one of these

Car BMW INPA EDIABAS K+DCAN D-CAN OBD2 OBDII USB Interface Diagnostic Tool Cable | eBay

The Download links in this thread don't work (30.11.2013) , so used the INPA version ( on a CD ) that came with the Cable . Has a English user guide on how-to install it on XP .

With regards to Windows 7 X64 , i did the following to get it to work .

Change the com-port to 1

Turned off Windows UAC !

un-ticked the "Read Only" attribute on the EDIABAS folder

In the environmental path attribute , the path the software put it the "bin" section was all uppercase and i changed it to lower case to match my install location .

( before doing the above i was getting Sys-0005 error , saying object not found on anything i clicked on , so something above fixed it . I just dont know what ! ).

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    hughfr4nc15's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Can someone post a new link to INPA_502_Updated.rar?

Thanks.

10. Comcast Downloads Link 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    big chris's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320c1
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Not been on this forum for a while but have just bought myself a 2004 320ci E46 Convertible.. installed INPA before on a XP laptop couple of years ago for a E39 and had it running with ADS cable.. I now have new Laptop with Win 7 32bit running.

So time for a fresh install!!

Anyone got the 2 working Links from the first post on this thread for INPA and EDIABAS downloads would be great if anyone could PM them to me.

Thanks Guys...

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bmwzig01's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    same as the above message

does Anyone got the 2 working Links from the first post on this thread for INPA and EDIABAS downloads would be great if anyone could PM them to me.

thanks zig

LinkBacks (?)

1. 20-12-2012, 16:31
  2. 17-12-2012, 20:03
  3. 14-12-2012, 13:20
  4. 13-12-2012, 22:44
  5. 13-12-2012, 16:01
  6. 13-12-2012, 14:47
  7. 10-12-2012, 20:21
  8. 08-12-2012, 18:31
  9. 03-12-2012, 17:51
  10. 28-11-2012, 16:55