Model of Car:
    520d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I can't belive the trouble in recent months!

For the past 4.5 months I have had to charge the battery every 5 days or so as I have lost the time and trip-meter reading, on the dash, as the electrics were depleating and so the computer was closing down some functions.

I live in France and so decided to wait until I was back in UK to replace the battery. Since having a replaced (recall) positive terminal (battery) contraption fitted by BMW, we (Halfords technicians and myself) just couldn't see how this terminal was to be disconnected; bizzare! After further consultations it was suggested that 'only BMW' should change the battery (yet another dealer ploy to get the business that should only take 10 minutes and not too expensive either).

So, I took the car to an independant BMW mechanic who plugged it into the machine to find the alternator was over-charging or charging higher than normal. It was suggested I change the alternator AND the battery and then have it synchronised with the on-board computer. I am therefore taking steps to locate an alternator (I bought the Bosch battery from Halfords) and then have them fitted and syncronised. My problem is that this is all unnecessarily complex and expensive and has put me off buying another BMW. I remember the days when I worked in an auto-shop (as a teenager) and fitted loads of batteries to many different cars, in less then 10 minutes, and never had a problem.

Computers and electronic parts are the scourge of modern cars and are being used to make vast profits by dealers who end up gaining more returning customers for servicing, and a lot more, at over-inflated prices. Bring back the non-electronics cars again and the manufacturer would make fantastic sales!

Getting back to the topic however - does anyone have any info on how to do this job more simply and, does the BMW computer really need to be syncronised with a battery change???????

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Diamond BFuk Member
    Car Details
    petrolmarty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 December
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    I understand some of your reasoning but I'm old enough to remember 'the good old days', when you had to decoke the car every other year and batteries lasted 2 winters if you were lucky. Nowadays because of the electronics and batteries being intelligently charged, BMW batteries last up to 10 years. You don't have to code your battery, but for the car to know the type and understand its new, it would be best.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Germaniks's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    It is highly recommended to register the battery. If the specs are very different from the original one, it is a mandatory step. You need to code the CAS accordingly.
    You also need to tell the car it has a new battery if you want it to last years.
    Many people do get away with registration when the specs are more or less the same, but they don't get as much as battery life as they should get.

From BMW

In principle, the battery must be registered with the BMW diagnosis system after every battery change.

If Not, the data stored in the power management will not be reset. The battery quality will then correspond to an older battery. The value for the battery quality is insufficient for the battery installed. The battery charge state may then be misinterpreted and unnecessary Check-Control messages may appear or fault memory entries may be stored (e.g. the Check-Control message "Recharge battery" even though the battery fitted is new and fully charged).

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ronali's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies and explanations. I have still to get through all of this but note your points and look forward to it all being resolved.
    Ronali

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    arightone's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520d M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I too took my car for the recall and a couple of weeks after I am also getting the same problem as yours. I wonder how many others are also getting this problem?
    Before the recall I never had any electrical problems regarding the battery and now I am getting the alarm telling me to set my clock and I have noticed that the trip computer has reset, but I have only had it once flash up that the battery is low. I am going to hold out a while longer to see what happens - to see if it gets any worse.
    I suppose I could take it back and complain but I don't want to end up paying stealer service prices should the issue not be related.