Model of Car:
    E39 525 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    A couple of queries that I hope those here may be able to help.

The first one is.
    My 525D is having a 'shaking' moment whilst at idle. Not a huge thing but just something that you can feel the engine doing when stopped at traffic lights etc.

Got INPA running so took a screen shot of the area of concern

This is with the engine idling at about 750RPM. Injector 2 is slightly higher than the others.

When I give the engine a few more revs (1500rpm) the shaking disappears. Car accelerates fine pulling all the way to nearly 4k rpm.

The 'balance' part of INPA (F6) shows they are quite close.

The second one is with regards the AirCon part.
    Checking the error log there is a part that is faulty but not sure what it actually is or means.

What is the AUC Sensor as its reported Open Circuit.

Many thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    I suspect injector number 2 is dirty rather than faulty, I would remove it and get it ultrasonically cleaned however the IMA values can be a little deceptive and so I would get a leak off test done as well just to be sure.

Injector cleaning is anything from £5 - £20 each and if it is a bit dodgy, get it refurbed rather than buy new as all the bits that wear are replaceable, it costs about £100 per injector for a refurb rather than £300 for a new one!

I would clear the A/C fault and see if it comes back, provided the A/C is working I would just ignore it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_henson For This Useful Post:

Andyiow (18-06-2012)

Diamond BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Andyiow's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 525 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    I suspect injector number 2 is dirty rather than faulty, I would remove it and get it ultrasonically cleaned however the IMA values can be a little deceptive and so I would get a leak off test done as well just to be sure.

Injector cleaning is anything from £5 - £20 each and if it is a bit dodgy, get it refurbed rather than buy new as all the bits that wear are replaceable, it costs about £100 per injector for a refurb rather than £300 for a new one!

I would clear the A/C fault and see if it comes back, provided the A/C is working I would just ignore it
    Thanks Matthew.

The injector has only been playing up for a couple of weeks just as I was about to start a holiday in Devon. Trundling around an Island probably not helping and not 'true' diesel stations (IE BP, Shell ) over here just Supermarkets or Texaco (at on average 7-8p/ltr more than a supermarket. Think it might just need a good long run somewhere on a motorway to clear things up a bit.

Have already cleare the A/C fault once but it keeps coming back. Only thing I can put it down to maybe the fact I replaced the hedgehog late last year. Noticed that there is a fan npoise coming from the vents but not able to isolate it correctly.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    rogerzilla's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320d SE Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    The AUC sensor is the thing that's supposed to detect pollution outside - don't ask me how it does this - and automatically switch the aircon to "recirculate".

Anyway, occasional faults with it can be ignored. In fact, on a car of this age it's probably the least important thing that can go wrong, since you have a manual recirc button.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    AUC sensor is a little electronic nose that works by evaporating the air and detecting stink particles. Loos like perhaps it was unplugged or has a dirty connector. As above, clear the fault and see if it returns.

As for the shaking, your values look well balanced for an aged engine, have you considered the obvious stuff such as engine and gearbox mounts, gearbox oil, fuel quality?

Diamond BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Andyiow's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 525 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joylove View Post
    As for the shaking, your values look well balanced for an aged engine, have you considered the obvious stuff such as engine and gearbox mounts, gearbox oil, fuel quality?
    It only is happening at idle that I can tell. Once over 1000 rpm I can not tell if its there or not. Its not a major shake just enough that its felt through the seat

AUC sensor I will have to search for it to check the connections. Do get the occasional whiff in the car but I can put up with it.