Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    If it has done a short trip, or stalled, it can have excess fuel inside, which will lower compression, cause it not to start, but it'll often turn over pretty quick.
    It's the kind of thing that would have been sorted as a side effect of the compression test though, to sort out a flooded engine, all you usually need to do is pull out the fuel pump fuse, and turn the engine over for a while til it clears out without injecting any more fuel, and then start again.

When mine did it, the exhaust was quick steamy, and even left a damp patch on the tarmac, so those parts all line up (although a lot of problems can have similar symptoms).
    The problem is that for a compression test, you'd remove the fuel pump fuse, and the cranking of the engine then would clear everything out.
    If you can find the fuel pump fuse, you can try pulling it and turning it over. When they are working out the excess petrol from the system, you may find it almost catching as it drops down from excessively rich to no fuel at all, and it should do that fairly quick if that is the problem, ie on the first start attempt, after about 5-6 revolutions, they will often manage to fire a cyl or two before the lack of fuel finishes it off.

You should then be able to put the fuse in and try again and it should recover in another 5-6 turns of the engine.

The main cause of flooding is either being shut off quickly after a short move (car will do this a lot in petrol stations when people move them 1-2m and switch off again) or if it stalls and it doesn't get the chance to go through the correct shutdown procedure which is shutting off fuel, and a further 2 engine revolutions with sparks to burn off any remaining vapours.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

pf3199 (18-05-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pf3199's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster

Thanks
    Hi,
    When I did the compression test I removed the fuse from the pump to prevent damage to the cat. After I replaced the plugs and reinstated the pump fuse it still would not start. It sounds different too, when I crank it. Not in a bad rattley type way. It has a deeper tone to it, as though the timing is out.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pf3199's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster

Thanks
    For anyone interested; the issue was with the timing chain. I had to have it replaced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12