Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    hi everyone i have a laptop which i am trying to install car diagnostic programs on for our 2 cars mine being a 2000 BMW 530d and the wife's being a 1996 ford galaxy both of which i have bought diagnostic software and connectors for (eBay) my main problem is that diagnostic cables connect through a serial port which my laptop does not have so i have also purchased a card with a serial port adapter following instructions i am told to go device manager to set com port which should be accessible in ports in device manager but it is not there can anyone advise me in layman's terms how to set the com ports the laptop is an advent running windows xp and the programs are BMW carsoft 6.5 and vag-com for the galaxy any help greatly appreciated as i have now purchased 3 items none of which i can use many thanks chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisf-1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    just adding this so i can be notified of replies thanks chris

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    bigedd9990's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3s , 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004, 2002
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Touring
    Thanks
    Have you got the interface box along with the cable?

Carsoft does not work to well with an adaptor you are better using a laptop with a 9pin serial port

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisf-1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    yes i have, my problem is setting the com port as i installed the serial port card not usb but i cannot find it in device manager thanks chris

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    bigedd9990's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3s , 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004, 2002
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Touring
    Thanks
    Ok trying to figure out what you have, When you go into device manager and have a look down the list does it have Ports(COM&LPT) if so while you have the cables connected to your car and ignition on. go to the device manager click on the plus sign and you should see com1 and lpt, right click on com 1 go to properties you will see use automatic settings it should have a tick in it. untick it the tick again and it should reconise the port that your card is in then try and communicate with the car through carsoft.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisf-1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    will try tomorrow and report back thanks for the help chris

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisf-1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    hi i have just looked on the laptop when i click the + next to ports (com&lpt) all i get come up is printer port(lpt1) chris

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    This any help?

CARSOFT BMW 6.5 + SP1 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS – WINDOWS XP

The procedure EXACTLY for Windows XP is as follows:-

If you have EVER installed ANY version of Carsoft before:-

1. Uninstal the program using the ADD/DELETE Programs function available from the Control panel via SETTINGS on the START menu.

2. Use the Explore function to open the Programs tab from the START menu and delete any CARSOFT folders

3. Use the SEARCH function from the START menu to look for any files or folders containing the word CARSOFT and delete them.

4. Search your Hard Drive for a folder named CM70 or CM75s and use EXPLORE to view its contents. If you have located the correct folder it will contain CARSOFT files with names like "AIRBAG1.DXT" - DELETE THE ENTIRE FOLDER.

5. Restart your computer and from the START menu go to PROGRAMS then ACCESSORIES and select SYSTEM TOOLS then SYSTEM RESTORE and create a new restore point.

6. Once the new restore point has been created, close out of the SYSTEM RESTORE Menu, then go back into ACCESSORIES via the START and PROGRAMS Menus and choose SYSTEM TOOLS then DISK CLEANUP. Select the MORE OPTIONS Tab and under “System Restore,” choose to Delete all but the most recent RESTORE Point and run the Disk Cleanup utility.

7. Open the “My Computer” Icon on the Desktop and right click on the Icon for your Hard Drive, then click “Properties”. Click on the “Tools” Tab when the Properties Dialogue Box opens and choose “Check now”. Two Dialogue boxes will appear asking if you want to check & repair files and scan the hard drive. Check both boxes then the START button. A message will appear telling you that this process can only be performed when the computer re-starts and asking you to confirm whether you wish this to occur. Confirm this request, then restart your computer. Dependent upon how many files you have stored and the size of the Hard Drive, the scanning process may take 2 -3 hours to complete after the system is restarted.

8. Temporarily disable any Anti-Virus or Spyware Programs that may be Running and use the setup program provided with the CARSOFT software to install CARSOFT 6.5.

9. Install SP1 which will search out and install to the CARSOFT/BMW Folder that has been copied to your hard drive.

10. Open the CRACKS Folder and copy ALL of the files contained in the Folder (including Instructions) to the BMW folder located in the newly created CARSOFT program Folder on your Hard Drive. The easiest way to accomplish this is firstly to open the CRACKS Folder then left click on the first file it contains and then each subsequent file whilst holding down the SHIFT key until ALL of the files are highlighted, then choose COPY THESE FILES and when the Dialogue Box pops up, locate the BMW folder in the newly installed CARSOFT folder on your Hard Drive, left click on it and then click on the COPY button.

11. Once this process has been completed, use the EXPLORE function to view the files in the BMW Folder of the newly installed CARSOFT Program. There will be 2 files with 6.5 Icons, labelled CARSOFT and CARSOFTBMW65. Delete the CARSOFT file and re-name CARSOFTBMW65 as CARSOFT.

12. Empty the deleted items from your trash bin and restart the system – CARSOFT 6.5.06 is now installed.

Remember to disable any anit-virus or Spyware programs prior to running the program

NOTE:- You can get the free SP1 download from CARSOFTS website

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisf-1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    hi ronnie thanks for that but i have not got that far yet first i need to sort out the com port chris

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    bigedd9990's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3s , 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004, 2002
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Touring
    Thanks
    Try reinstalling the pcmcia card software and restart the laptop with the card in still in it. Make sure it installs the com drivers.

I take it its a Pcmcia to rs232 that you bought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast