joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    I got INPA working on my E46. The hardware side will not be EU E36 compatible for KOMBI, ABS, ASC. It lets me read fault codes, live engine statistics on a per cylinder basis and reset engine adaptations after repairs. Here's how I did it using cheap USB interfaces.

Background:
    The protocol

INPA speaks BMW's DS2 only. Basically DS2 is an extended command set.

BMW added alongside their fully featured DS2 system an OBD2 system on the 90's cars. Until then everything had worked on K and L line, TxD and RxD, using RTS/DTS to signal the adaptor. They then smeared in a 1 wire K line for bidirectional communications during the E36, completing with the E46 being fully K line only.

Think about it from the view of the module makers. E34/E36 were designed in the late 80's when RS232 was cutting edge. Tx and Rx data was kept separate and clocked slowly. As the 90's rolled on they could Tx and Rx on the same wire starting with the DME and EGS, and by the late 90's all modules had been redesigned to be K line only for the E39/E46.

They started with US E36 in 1996 for two modules DME and EGS adding TxD2 to the 20 pin and 16 pin connector.

EU Z3 and E36 compact added the OBD2 error code support after 1999ish.

The generic ODB2 system runs alongside the DS2 system on the same K line pins in either connector, and continues to do so to until at least 2008.

All modules continue to support DS2 messaging after OBD2 was forced upon them and still do today.

The E34/E36 needed a two wire serial link but at the 1996 E36 facelift some modules (DME, HVAC and others) got the DS2 port upgraded to a 1 wire K line that works with a VAGCOM lead.

From E46/E39 the RxD L line was redundant and all modules went to a single K line interface for DS2 and OBD2. TxD was repurposed to bidirectional duties. There are two K lines (TxD and TxD2). DME and EGS on one, everything else on the other.

Your 1994-2000 E36 from any country will need an ADS adaptor to access the KOMBI and ABS plus others. This device supports the old school RxD and TxD link fitted to those cars for those modules.

The latest cars (2007+) use K-CAN that runs at 100-500kbps and supports legacy 9600baud OBD2 for very bssic error code-only diagnostics. You will need a faster adaptor than the cheapo VAGCOM ones.

This guide is for the KKL cars E46/E39/X5/X3/Z4 etc.

The K line is a bi-directional serial bus with a 9.6kbaud data rate. L line is an Rx line needed by modules on older cars. It's redundant from E46/E39 onwards. As such any BMW (OBD1 or OBD2) is not dierctly compatible with RS232, either in baud or signalling levels, and could damage your PC's RS232 port if directly connected.

It's called the KKL since there are 2 K lines. Why two lines? Possibly for data rate, possibly to keep non-BMW garages from interfacing with anything other than the legal minimum DME and EGS.

The car

The car in this case is a 1999 and has both the 20 pin and 16 pin OBD diagnostics.

The pinouts
    The 16 pin
    4 GND
    5 GND
    7 K line (1)(D_TXD2)
    8 K Line (2)(D_TXD1)
    15 L Line (Not fitted)
    16 12V

The 20 Pin
    1 Engine rotation speed
    2 OBD2 Diagnostic
    7 Oil service and inspection reset
    14 12V
    15 L Line
    16 IGN 12V
    17 K line (2) (D_TXD2)
    18 Programming line (PGSP) (not fitted)
    19 GND
    20 K line (1) (D_TXD1)

Your car may differ on the 16 pin connector if it is post 1999. Check it with a torch. If you don't have the 2nd K line on your pre 1999, you can tap into it behind the instrument cluster if you wish.

What is supported by which adaptors?

pre 1996 BMW all countries
    Full ADS support only

1996+ E36/Z3 all countries;
    Partial VAGCOM support
    Reported succes with VAGCOM
    DME Joylove Yes 1997 328i
    ZKE Joylove Yes 1997 328i
    PDC Joylove Yes 1997 328i
    HVAC Joylove Yes 1997 328i
    KOMBI Tonyday - No 1999 323i Joylove No 1997 328i
    ABS/ASC Tonyday - No 1999 323i Joylove No 1997 328i IanS- Yes 1996 EVO
    Cabrio module Can't remember
    Airbag Can't remember Tonyday - Yes 1999 323i
    RAD Joylove No CD43
    OBC Never tried
    EGS (Auto cars) Never tried

Full ADS support

E38/E39 pre 1999
    Not sure if ADS or VAGCOM.

E38/E39/E46 1998 onwards
    Full VAGCOM support

2007+ K-CAN cars
    K-CAN 100kbps USB adaptor

Which connector do you need for your E39/E46 with the 16 and 20 pin socket?

If you want to talk to the engine and gearbox you only need the K line found on the 16 pin connector. If you want the ABS, Airbag or anything else, you need both K lines found on the round connector. Handily both K lines can be shorted to get a simple OBD2 K USB adaptor to work.

[For those of you with pin 7 & 8 fitted on your 16 pin OBDII socket (2004ish+), the pins can be shorted in your USB OBD2 adaptor and you don't need the 20 pin connector because you don't have the 20 pin socket. For those of you without pin 8 fitted you have an option; pin 25 on the socket X11175 (right instrument cluster connector) carries a White/Violet wire with D_TXD1 and you can add the additional wire to your OBDII port.]

OBD2.8 and OBD1.20 carry BMW's 1 wire DS2. OBD2.7 and OBD.17 carries the DME/EGS DS2 and gimped OBD2. You will not at any time speak OBD2 to the car.

Since you will probably want the full suite of modules INPA software offers, you need a BMW 16 pin to 20 pin adaptor. This has a wire inside that shorts pins 17 (K) and 20 (K), and connects them to 7 (L).

Here you can see Power and GND (4, 5, 16) are populated and pin 7 (K) pin 15 (L).

USB OBD2 adaptors contain the same thing. 1 Prolific PL2303 USB to RS232 chip, and one Melexis TH3122 k line transceiver.

To talk to your E39, E46 and later, all you need to do is connect the USB K line transceiver to all the data pins the car has.

You may not even need the L Line. But it works with KKL shorted.

For 1996+ E36 US models you can talk OBD2 to the DME and EGS.
    You can find these adaptors on eBay by searching for usb (kkl, 409.2, OBDII, OBD2) and bmw (OBD, OBD2, OBDII) (adapter, 20 16). Buy something that resembles the photos above. If you are waiting for the USB adaptor from China, splash the extra ~£3 on the 16 to 20 pin. It's gonna be handy to have in your toolbox for the price of a Starbucks coffee. The USB/OBD2 appear to be available in blue nowadays.
    Quoted again for the hard-of-reading.:facepalm:

USB OBD2 is not VAG specific.

Your eBay USB OBD2 adaptor does not need to mention BMW in the title, or in the description

By law is all post 1999 EU cars (1996 US) support OBD2.
    Note: Only Engine/Box/Emmisions ECUs must be OBD2 to comply with that law.
    BMW 1998 on (E46/facelift E39) are fully OBD2 for all modules. Dunno about Pre 1998 E39, never checked cos I don't have one. Would be interested to hear from pre E39 owners about this.

The software.

EDIABAS=The communication layer to the car
    INPA=Module interface
    NCSExpert=Programming of modules and CKM. Don't fiddle with this program without a guide.

1) Create a system restore point and backup your registry.

2) Use the Worlds Most Resiliant torrent site to download INPA.iso. It is 326MB and the only file matching that word at the time of writing.

3) Extract the iso using winrar to a folder called INPA_CD. Place it on C:\.
    Open the folder C:\INPA_CD\Programminstallation and run setup.
    Click through all the options, install INPA, EDIBAS and NCSExpert as a minimum (I left the install options as default Full Installation). When prompted, tell it you are using OBD and tick the USB to Serial box. Make sure you keep the add desktop icons ticked.

4) Complete the installation and go to C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD. Open USB-OBD.pdf and follow the instructions to change the latency timer from 16ms to 1ms. Force the USB/serial adaptor to COM1. If you have an old-school COM port on COM1 already then move it to COMsomethingelse.

5) Run OBDSetup.exe. Do not close the DOS box yet. If it says "Warning, some values do not match, malfunction can occur" then the registry needs to be hand edited until those values match. It's DWORD values like buffer sizes and FIFO settings. Run OBDSetup again to verify all the warnings have gone away. Reboot if you have changed the registry.

6) Add the Environment variable C:\EDIABAS\BIN to your system Path.

7) Open the file OBD.ini from C:\EDIABAS\BIN add in the UBAT item manually. Check the Hardware=USB
    Code:
    [OBD]
    Port=Com1 ; EDIT: You can use Com2, 3, 4 
    Hardware=USB  ;EDIT You can also try OBD
    RETRY=ON
    ;MODE=NORMAL
    ;MODE=KBUS ;EDIT You can use a Resler interface with INPA
    UBAT=OFF  ;Battery simulator for USB adaptors
    Copy the file OBD.ini from C:\EDIABAS\BIN to C:\Windows

You have now installed the EDIBAS communication handler, configured all of it's FIFO settings, and installed the INPA "whitescreen" framework.

8) Now you need to install the guts of INPA. These are scripts that talk to the modules and are updatable.
    Open C:\INPA_CD\Referenz\INSTALL and run Installprog.exe. Choose the English language and install BMW Group Rectification programs UK. Select Upgrade or prefereably Complete when possible. Complete and exit the installation program.

Now when you run INPA from the desktop icon you should see INPA and EDIABAS load (green icon by the clock), and along the bottom of INPA you can select your car and the modules therein.

9)Wah! It's not working?
    If you get EDIABAS initialising errors you need to check the registry DWORDS above, and the USB/Serial latency timer.
    If you get INPA IFH-0018 INITIALIZATION ERROR then check the com port.
    Download a file called INPA_FAQ for detailed error code help.
    Use Teraterm to open COM1 at 9600 baud to see if you can echo characters to prove you are connected to the car.
    If you get communication errors, check ediabas.ini. Use Interface STD:OBD for USB. Use Interface ADS for ADS. More on ADS adaptors here. ADS adaptors must be on a real COM1, as DTR support is needed for KOMBI, ASC, ABS in the E36. IRQ11/Hex Address 3F38 needed for COM1 ADS.

Notes:
    1) The S52 engine uses the MS 42.0 Engine ECU, which can be found in the E36 menu, by pressing Shift+F9. The E39 and E36 menu is in there too.

2) Don't reset the engine adaptations while it's running, so says BMW.

3) A replacement or used rain sensor needs to be reset (initilised) to the screen.

4) This program also installs NCS expert which can be used to code options, I will write a seperate entry on CKM when I get time.

5) I was flapping about not being able to talk to my engine ECU so I installed the USA group rectifications profile over the UK one. They appear to be the same

6) With this software you can do absolutley everything, including triggering airbags and firing the SRS. Get in; read codes, clear them. Don't go stomping around in your size tens clicking every button to see what happens. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You could end up with a car that won't start and needing a new £500 ECU.

7) I would probably shy away from drastic re-coding using this system as the shielding on the interface looks a little light and data corruption is not something you want.

8) Some people have reported that installing old versions over new versions causes errors with scripts not being found. Follow the above guide to the letter and you will not need to install an old version over the new one.

Here are some pictures.

Some details are in German (like the above). Most are in English. The last entry there is Sporadic Fault for example.

Here is the registry entry. Put this into a file called serial.reg, right click and choose add to registry, after renaming your old one as serial_old.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serial]
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000000
    "Group"="Extended base"
    "Start"=dword:00000001
    "Tag"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000001
    "RxFIFO"=dword:00000008
    "ForceFifoEnable"=dword:00000001
    "PermitShare"=dword:00000000
    "LogFifo"=dword:00000000
    "TxFIFO"=dword:00000008
    For EU E36 and 90% of US modules (except DME and EGS): Basically the software installation is the same.

For the hardware, certain modules need an ADS adaptor, and some don't based on the age of the module. In a nutshell, ADS adaptor is a two wire setup, RxD and TxD, instead of a one wire bidirectional jobby as above.

You need to select the options that allow you to use a different adaptor.
    In EDIABAS.ini
    Set Interface = ADS to use COM1. You MUST use a proper hardware COM1, NOT USB RS232 adaptor.
    Set Interface = STD:OBD and also in OBI.ini set Hardware=ADS then you can use USB-RS232-ADS adaptor.

For 2007+BMW you need K-CAN USB adaptor. It runs at 100kbps, not 9600bps VAGCOM cable cannot run at 100kbps. It is too old. I don't have this car to set up and test this adaptor.

Related posts:
    Software installation
    ADS detailed in technical terms
    How to use a Resler interface with INPA
    What adaptor should I buy for INPA
    INPA Idiots guide
    Last edited by joylove; 16-11-2014 at 03:48.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to joylove For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

af1 (17-06-2011),ahngau (05-07-2011),bstsboss (08-03-2011),FAL (31-12-2011),Ferret (24-02-2012),Fixedwheelnut (25-04-2011),Ian S (27-02-2011),johnny-c2 (27-02-2011),levell3r (06-06-2011),marvi (21-11-2012),paulb134 (17-04-2011),Qwazas (02-11-2011),ron_of_orange (12-12-2012),seriousrikk (15-04-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Kevin Whittaker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E30 325iSE, E36 M3 convertible and E91 330i Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1988, 1997 & 2008
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Manual & Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Convertible & Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,020 Times in 3,812 Posts
    Thanks for the useful information.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    paulb134's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Have managed to get my usb connector to work,brilliant.Even managed to clear airbag light.I can't get NCS expert to work,it says not compatible with my version of windows(windows 7 64 bit).Also,is there an idiot's guide to what you can do,eg,updating software on ecu etc?Can you set the door locking to activate upon drive away,or is that bmw only?Any kind soul help?Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by paulb134; 17-04-2011 at 23:53.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb134 View Post
    Have managed to get my usb connector to work,brilliant.Even managed to clear airbag light.I can't get NCS expert to work,it says not compatible with my version of windows(windows 7 64 bit).Also,is there an idiot's guide to what you can do,eg,updating software on ecu etc?Can you set the door locking to activate upon drive away,or is that bmw only?Any kind soul help?Many thanks in advance.
    NCS is a pain it the arse. I've never managed to get it working, it's all in German, and it's more trouble than it's worth. Plus the doors don't unlock when you take out the key, so I decided it wasn't even worth raising my blood pressure for.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    You can get NCS to work in English, there's a setting away in an .ini somewhere for it.

It can do all sorts of clever stuff, but at the same time, the mischievous coder can do a lot of damage with it.

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb134 View Post
    Try finding the executable and switching it to run in compatibility mode.

Ian

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    paulb134's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    It does not work on windows 7 at all.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Gervais's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joylove View Post
    NCS is a pain it the arse. I've never managed to get it working, it's all in German, and it's more trouble than it's worth. Plus the doors don't unlock when you take out the key, so I decided it wasn't even worth raising my blood pressure for.
    Doors unlocking upon key removal is another option you need to activate from what i have read so far.

Managed to get INPA/NCS working perfectly first time and have not had any problems, coded a few modules so far, my favourite being the roof operation via the fob
    Velvet Blue E46 330 Convertible.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
    Doors unlocking upon key removal is another option you need to activate from what i have read so far.
    Not so sure. I don't see that option.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    neo24gr's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    any one can help me hot make ecu reset or adaptation values reset ( i dont now how to said...) on E36 316 1997 model?
    i cant find anywhere on inpa software,the reset option!
    only oil service reset!

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 13-12-2012, 21:57
  2. 08-12-2012, 10:46
  3. 25-11-2012, 19:01
  4. 12-11-2012, 07:39
  5. 03-11-2012, 20:06
  6. 24-10-2012, 00:19
  7. 11-10-2012, 05:57
  8. 08-10-2012, 22:43
  9. 08-10-2012, 22:07