Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by af1 View Post
    but then ill be needing an ads interface?
    No mate.

ADS interface gives you access to more E36 modules and needs a serial port. That is the extent of the limitations.

The program you use to drive the serial port is up to you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

af1
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    af1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    ohh i shall give it a go then, i always struggle to get my head round car diagnostics.. thats what was great about owning the vw's vcds is a great commercial legal supported tool with updates etc. considering you got a lot of dealer level tools with it it is a relative bargain!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    I wrote a step by step guide and it is linked in the first post near the bottom.

You can change EDAIBAS.ini to define your adaptor after the installation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joylove For This Useful Post:

af1 (17-06-2011)

af1
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    af1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    quick question, could this tool be used on a 2001 mini one

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by af1 View Post
    quick question, could this tool be used on a 2001 mini one
    Yes you can use it on your R50 or your Rolls Royce RR1

Check out this link from the first post. Your setup will be as for a 2001 E46.
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...nwards-t74608/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joylove For This Useful Post:

af1 (20-08-2011)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    E36_turbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joylove View Post
    I had aimed this at people who knew what INPA was, and were aware the E36 was a sort of crossover car, and were confused as to OBD1, OBD2, ADS. I did put that in the title and the first line.

It's difficult to say to someone "you need that" and then not to back it up with why. eBay links die, sellers disappear, new adaptors come along, people get error messages and misguiding advice - the US forums are the worst - telling everyone to use OBD2.

Yes this is technical. I didn't want to skip the body text, the technical reasons around why some adaptors work and some don't. I wanted to explain what they were buying and why. I didn't want them to spend £30 on a USB OBD2 adaptor with BMW in the description when they can be had for £6. I didn't want them to have confusion over ADS interfaces. I have 2 RS232 interfaces that claimed to be 100% E36 compliant and they are not, over £120 wasted.
    big big thanks

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    E36_turbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    hi,
    would this work on e36 if so why don't i see any options for it

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    E36_turbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    If you are here you are trying to talk to your EU/US E36 with INPA and don't know what adaptor to buy and why they are different. If you are not looking for an explanation of the interfaces as described in the thread title and are looking for an INPA quickstart guide go to this thread by dailydoggy.

Your E36 has a 20 pin socket under the bonnet. It is enabled with OBD1 for all models globally. If you have a US 96+ car, post 09/99 EU Z3 or compact you additionally have a mixed OBD1/OBD2 interface on pin 17 in the 20 pin socket. With the 20 pin cap in place, the 16 pin OBD2 socket under the dash is connected and ready to use. You will not use OBD2 16 pin port for INPA, 20 pin has more modules.

First the software.

Please disconnect in your mind the adaptor and the software. It is the software that issues commands in any langauge it feels like, and the adaptor, OBD2 sticker or otherwise, simply converts from PC compatible signals to car compatible signals.

INPA speaks a language called D2 (aka DS2) to your E36, for all models; globally. It is more advanced in the number of commands it supports than OBD2.

Heres a simplified example:
    OBD2: There is a an ABS Error
    D2: There is an ABS error on speed sensor 3, measured 5 times, speed was 30 MPH, sticky reading 50% lower than other wheels, intermittant fault.

The program EDIABAS is the translator for INPA. It allows several programs to share the COM port. It converts messages to D2 ready for broadcast to the car. It handles the oddties of the adaptor you use. It can support several adaptor types, including LAN.

In summary: The software speaks an advanced language called D2 that all E36 globally will respond to. Whilst it might send out the odd OBD2 message to check for general fault codes, it is not exclusively OBD2, no matter what E36 you connect to.

Second the adaptor.

There are two types. Both have the same job. Convert PC compatible signals (serial over RS232 or USB) to car compatible signals (K line, 12V idle, 0V active). Baud is set by EDIABAS.

USB-OBD2 adaptor (£6 eBay) with 16 to 20 pin adaptor (£6 eBay). This contains one USB to K line tranciever. The only thing OBD2 about it is the shape and that it does 12V/0V on pin OBD2.7.

ADS adaptor (£55). This contains one RS232 to K line tranciever, plus a switch to route K line data to the L line based on the DTR line (+12V/-12V) of the RS232 port.

Why are there two types?

Old tech in the car. 80% of E36 modules need one bi directional k line (TxD), just like the modern cars. Others (KOMBI, ASC/ABS) need a seperate RxD and TxD becuase they are old.

So what?

With a USB OBD2 adaptor you get the K line interface to talk to 80% of modules, including DME, airbag, PDC, ZKE. If you want the other 2 or 3 modules, you need to go old school with ADS.

So you want every module don't you?

Well to use an ADS adaptor you need a laptop with a proper harware serial port. Why? Because of the DTR line support, and because of a quirk in EDIABAS that means the Interface = ADS* adaptor must be on COM1/IRQ11/3F38h address. Some laptops might allow you to enter into BIOS and change a PCMCIA adaptor IRQ and address (mine doesn't), but windows XP onwards overides those settings (!), and you must disable ACHI to regain control, which requires a format and OS install.

So you have bought an adaptor, and you have installed the INPA software, what do you change in EDIABAS?

In c:\ediabas\bin is a file called ediabas.ini

You can see the options for the different adaptor

Interface = STD:OBD
    Interface = ADS

Why do you need to change this?

If you use ADS, there is a D2 echo that comes back on the Rx path when DTR is -12V. EDIABAS gets upset if it sees this echo with STD:OBD and throws errors.

I hope this clears up the two adaptor types for INPA on E36, and helps you to ignore OBD2 - the language and OBD2 - the socket; and focus on the K line transciever that resides in the adaptors. That should be the focus of your purchasing.

[Note ADS adaptors also offers +12V igniton sensing on the car. This simply lights a black circle in INPA, and performs no further functions. It is not essential to have this feature because if the ignition is off, modules will not respond to any command at all.]

If you want to read more about the software installation and configuration, read here.

Given time and inclination, it may be possible to use USB-RS232 with ADS. The probelm to solve would be the COM port address and D2 echo. Making changes to obd.ini it may be possible to use COM2 in ADS mode. This will allow newer laptops without a serial port to use ADS adaptors. I will update this thread if that does prove possible.

All E36 94-99 with unmodifled VAGCOM cable (Interface=STD:OBD Hadware = USB or OBD) plus 16 to 20 pin adaptor you can access

DME Joylove Yes 1997 328i
    ZKE Joylove Yes 1997 328i
    PDC Joylove Yes 1997 328i
    HVAC Joylove Yes 1997 328i
    KOMBI Tonyday - No 1999 323i Joylove No 1997 328i
    ABS/ASC Tonyday - No 1999 323i Joylove No 1997 328i IanS- Yes 1996 EVO
    Cabrio module Can't remember
    Airbag Can't remember Tonyday - Yes 1999 323i
    RAD Joylove No CD43
    OBC Never tried
    EGS (Auto cars) Never tried

Not tried any other modules.

*EDIABAS.ini Interface = OBD and in the OBD.ini file Hardware=ADS & Port=COM1,2,3... is supported for USB->RS232->ADS connections.
    hi guys,
    does this mean my genden EBOD with a 16 to 20 pin convertor would work?

They are normal devices and not specifically designed for INPA or anything.
    I appreciate ur help

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,238 Times in 4,076 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linux44 View Post
    hi guys,
    does this mean my genden EBOD with a 16 to 20 pin convertor would work?

They are normal devices and not specifically designed for INPA or anything.
    I appreciate ur help
    your hadheld device will only connect to and read generic OBD codes from the engine DME, it will not connect to the body,chassis,transmission etc etc DME's, and it will not read the BMW specific code system..
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 956 Posts
    USB-OBD2 adaptor (£6 eBay) with 16 to 20 pin adaptor (£6 eBay). This contains one USB to K line tranciever. The only thing OBD2 about it is the shape and that it does 12V/0V on pin OBD2.7.
    Joylove, could do with some more words around this as the bits in red are contradictory, unless the "only thing OBD2 about it is the shape" was only applied to the 16-20 pin adapter.

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

*Based on ROI period exceeded