joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    No, no aaaaaaand no. Your 1997 M52 doesn't need ADS. Stop dithering and place the order! :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rally1998's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Would you be able to explain this to me please. I'm at a loss, seems to be so much contradicting advice.

what will I be able to access with your cable?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    It's nine pounds. You spend less at Burger King. Just do it. Or don't, whatever.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rally1998's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joylove View Post
    It's nine pounds. You spend less at Burger King. Just do it. Or don't, whatever.
    LOL!

That might be true but I still wouldn't know what I will be able to access and what software I can use with it on my car.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    You should be able to access all modules. Check you have TxD2 on your round connector. See if RxD is missing.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rally1998's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joylove View Post
    You should be able to access all modules. Check you have TxD2 on your round connector. See if RxD is missing.
    errrrrrrrrrrrrrr................

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,238 Times in 4,076 Posts
    the guide is self explanatory if your car is ADS (with a round connector under bonnet and pin 15 present) you will need an ADS switchbox if you want connection to all modules,if you just want basic engine diagnostics etc then the cheaper adaptor solution will suffice..
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Mr Mugambo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hopefully a quick one. I have the 'crossover' E46 - round socket under the bonnet and OBD socket under the footwell. Does anyone know if this software can run on a Lenovo T61 laptop running XP attached to a docking station with a serial port adapter?

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Mr Mugambo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Just an update on my query above, I can confirm that INPA does work on an IBM/Lenovo T61 laptop running a clean install of Windows XP via a port replicator/docking station. My E46 being made in 1999 is a ‘crossover’ car in that it has both the round 20-pin diagnostics plug under the bonnet and the rectangular diagnostics plug located next to your right knee when sitting in the driving seat (in right hand drive cars). As mentioned here in other guides, in ‘crossover’ cars, only the round 20-pin diagnostics plug is used to connect with INPA, read error codes carry out coding etc.

This is what I used.

Hardware:

• IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T61 laptop. Plenty of used ones can be had cheaply on ebay
    • Port replicator/docking station. There are two versions, so check that it has all the ports at the back including the serial port. Furthermore, these normally have a key and lock to secure the laptop to the docking station. Search for ‘T61 docking station’
    • 6-cell laptop battery. Important if you do not have access to a mains socket near your car
    20-pin round connector with interface built inside. You can also get it from ebay. This is connected to the laptop docking station via the serial port.

Software:

• Windows XP. I have a 160GB hard drive to allow all the software enough room to breathe. Windows 7 will run on the T61, just make sure you have more than 2GB of RAM installed. I do not have Windows 7, so cannot comment on INPA performance with it.
    • INPA (6.4.3.rar file)

I recommend following the advice in here and other places to prepare your laptop and install INPA from a CD or, as I eventually did, from a USB key. At first I unpacked and installed INPA directly from the laptop hard drive. The result was a lot of the INPA files were not installed properly and although INPA ran, it did not work when connected to the car. I ended up deleting all INPA and starting again. So again, the advice is, install INPA from a CD or USB key and you should not have the problems such as none of the cars showing up on the main INPA window, script errors and other annoyances.

If you cannot burn onto a CD, save the zipped INPA file to a USB key, and unpack it within the key. Afterwards, you can install INPA from there and it will look for the C:\drive in your laptop. Follow the instructions to install INPA. Make the necessary adjustments to allow INPA to ‘talk’ to your car and it should work.

The order I used to get it all going was:

• Plug your laptop into the docking station
    • Plug in the 20-pin round connector cable to the serial port on the docking station
    • Switch on your laptop, but do not run INPA
    • Plug in the 20-pin round connector end into the round connector under the bonnet of your car
    • Run INPA from the desktop icon or from INPALOAD.EXE

And all being well you should be good to go. Note that while this order worked for me, it might not work for everyone, so go with what works best for you.

I highly recommend the 20-pin round connector with interface built inside. It’s well made, cheaper than the interfaces I have seen and it worked like a charm. It’s under £40 and it took just over a week to get from the USA. Be mindful of customs charges though. I cannot say whether it works for the E34, E36 or other BMWs with only the 20-pin round diagnostics connector, but it is worth a look if you own any of these cars.

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,238 Times in 4,076 Posts
    sorry i never saw ya initial inquiry i missed it...

if you copy INPA once downloaded and run it from C drive as in the instructions it should install properly..

most ignore or forget this instruction and try run it from desktop or wherever they have downloaded it to, this is where it all goes pete tong usually...
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast