BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

BMW INPA diagnostics an idiots guide to getting started

Tags
idiots
343K views 127 replies 37 participants last post by  Bill H 
#1 · (Edited)
This is an original guide by myself the creator of it any other versions of this guide are hijacks or stolen versions of it...

INPA is factory BMW diagnostics software that connects to all the systems and modules on BMW cars not just engine like generic scanners, it reads all BMW trouble codes and gives live diagnostics and data and GUI pages and test functions...

Ok this is an idiots guide for INPA! it is "NOT" for ppl to say oooh!! its cheaper doin it this way or its piss easy and cheaper using a modded vagcom cable, or a USB interface etc etc!! its just a guide for the simplist and easiest way to hook your car up and diagnose with INPA for the beginner..

1.the absolute simplist way to connect to your OBD2 compliant car or ADS car is via the way it was designed for in the beginning,,and that is via a serial port connection with a INPA compatible serial interface/lead..

2.you can connect to your OBD2 car soley in ADS mode you do not need OBD mode (the cutdown INPA version 63mb on the net is an ADS only version and it is all you need for either type of system if you are using a serial interface and connection)

3.you need an INPA compatible double kkline serial interface cable..

4. an older type cheapo laptop or any laptop with a serial port preferably with XP loaded.

5.a copy of INPA/EDIABAS software cutdown version @ 63MB works fine on OBD2 or ADS cars.

6.if your car is pre OBD2 it will be either a crossover car which has both 20 pin round socket under the bonnet and 16 pin OBD2 in the cabin by your right knee or soley the 20 pin round under the bonnet (ADS socket)

7.if you have soley the 20 pin round socket under the bonnet and or pin 15 is populated? this is a fully ADS car not OBD2..

8.an ADS car you need an ADS adaptor interface or an ADS/OBD switchbox to access all the cars modules
9.you cannot connect to all modules on an ADS car with the cheap 20 pin (ADS) round to 16 pin OBD2 adaptors like that are sold on Ebay..

10.USB interfaces can be and will be more problematic for the INPA beginner plus USB interfaces will NOT connect with INPA set in ADS mode…

11.you can acess all modules, fault code read with INPA, including ABS,airbags,engine ECU,parking sensors and do live diagnostics via a GUI screen and reset codes, airbags and adaptions etc etc

12.No serial port on your laptop? PCMCIA to serial port adaptors or USB to serial port adaptors can be made to work, but again can be seriously problematic for an INPA beginner…

So to sum up if your car is a pre OBD2 car and has a 20 pin round socket under the bonnet with pin 15 present you will need:
A cheap laptop with a serial port and XP loaded.
A basic cutdown version of INPA in ADS mode 63MB in size or a normal version set to ADS
An ADS serial interface or an ADS/OBD serial switchbox interface like below…if you want some basic engine connection and function and a few other modules then the 20 round adpator will suffice most find this sufficient but as mentioned you CANNOT connect to everything with this cheaper configuration ...

ADS switchbox

If your car is OBD2 you will need..
A cheap laptop with serial port and XP loaded
A basic cutdown version of INPA in ADS mode
An OBD2 BMW INPA compatible serial interface double Kline type..like below.(.NOTE the 20 pin round ADS adaptor in the kit may connect to some modules but not all of them on ADS cars, it is “NOT” a full ADS interface!!)

serial OBD2 kit with 20 pin none full ADS round adaptor

Cable Electronic device Technology Adapter Electronics accessory

There are other ways to connect and other versions of INPA with different interface combinations etc etc ..this guide is not for that its just an idiots guide for a basic DIY’er whose just found out about INPA and is the easiset and most basic way to get started

modified VAGCOM connection guide...

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...on-modded-usb-vagcom-interface-winxp-t102843/

Feel free to comment if I have ommitted anything or you have something to add…i shall add to it or edit if i i remember anything more of use...

a small update: if you are looking for cheaper robust laptops for your INPA setup? then some older IBM's fit the bill, but IBM laptops stopped having serial ports at the T30 model, models after the T30 still have the architecture for a serial port internally, but no external serial port, but if you connect it to a suitable IBM port replicator dock (very cheap these days on Ebay) you then have a fully functioning serial port on the dock ready for INPA...

an example: i now have a second setup of INPA fully functioning on an IBM T42 which is docked on a port replicator like below..

See less See more
#116 · (Edited)
it is no use me explaining and repeating to you wot is already evident in this idiot guide that i wrote to start with...

you need to identify wot your car actually is OBD2 compliant or ADS...before you ask how to do that read the guide properly...

But IIRC all E36's are ADS...

#118 ·
Inpa dont work anymore

Hallo there, I have been reading a bit on here and must say it is a pretty good site.

My problem is that I have Inpa 5.0.6. Pro Virsion 5.00. But when I set the K-DCAN USB interface to my 530D 2004 there is no black point in the Battery or ignition.

Is it my cable or my software that is bad ?.

4 months ago it was al working fine.

Best regards Per from DK

#120 ·
Dis or inpa

Hi all, fighting issues with the wife's x5 (3d sport 55 plate) and need to pull and clear error codes, so after paying 50quid for a shop to do it once, I've picked up laptop with various software and cables, so wonder if i should use dis or inpa or something else to read and clear codes safely?

Also i have a choice of bmw labelled cables, any ideas which I should use they are labelled as such:

bmw scanner version 1.4.0
BMW compatible scanner v 1.3.6 (rs232 label and a k-line led)
BMW diagnostic interface
USB bmw cables (blue)
Ediabas obd2

Cheers all

#122 ·
I am hoping someone can help.

My car is a 1996 E38 with the round 20 pin OBD connector in the engine bay.

I have tested Pin 15 on the OBD and it is NOT live.

Will I be able to access all diagnostic and coding functions using a usb cable or will I still need a serial (RS232) cable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#123 ·
#128 ·
Hi, hoping someone with good experience of the INPA package can give some help here. I put it in general discussion as I guess INPA applies to all models.

I bought the cable and diagnostic package from BCABLES for my E93 and also an E88.
Had lots of confusion so far trying to get it to talk to the car, confusing because I dont know when its working or not!
Finally twigged that the switch on the cable is round the wrong way and when its switched to DCAN its actually on KCAN.
So... getting the cable setup now appears to work (can anyone confirm this is actually connected - pic below)
View attachment 269599

I select the E9x model using F4 from the INPA menu
View attachment 269600

but when I press ENGINE I get these choices
View attachment 269601

now Im not sure of these - but I know the engine is a 3.0 diesel(330d) and I thought that engine was a N57D30A as thats written on the door panel.
so why doesn't it appear on this list - or am I reading the list wrong ?

so then I go on to try to see other car modules, but for everything else I either get;-
Requested CU unit xxxxxx not found
CU found . yyyyyyy
View attachment 269602

OR
Versions do not match Malfunction possible
and then some text like this as an example;-
View attachment 269603

If I carry on after this I seem to be able to read out data (not sure ...) like this below which I think was about battery voltage (I didnt have a charger connected)
View attachment 269604

so a lot of rambling - but as I said to start I dont know what I dont know, does anyone recognise these readouts?
Is the laptop communicating with the car OK ?
Why cant I see my CUs or engine type? -
Is the problem an old dwon level of INPA?

I dont mind buying another copy of INPA if I can be sure the cable is communicating OK and its just back level diags (although thats what I thought I bought from BCABLES - who BTW DONT answer any emails for help)
Please put me out of my misery someone - just asking if anyone recognises the messages and confirm what they mean.....

Nothing wrong with car at moment other than a 93AF which my Foxwell scanner found - Im just preparing for future problems.
Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.