330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,278 Times in 4,106 Posts
    This is an original guide by myself the creator of it any other versions of this guide are hijacks or stolen versions of it...

INPA is factory BMW diagnostics software that connects to all the systems and modules on BMW cars not just engine like generic scanners, it reads all BMW trouble codes and gives live diagnostics and data and GUI pages and test functions...

Ok this is an idiots guide for INPA! it is "NOT" for ppl to say oooh!! its cheaper doin it this way or its piss easy and cheaper using a modded vagcom cable, or a USB interface etc etc!! its just a guide for the simplist and easiest way to hook your car up and diagnose with INPA for the beginner..

1.the absolute simplist way to connect to your OBD2 compliant car or ADS car is via the way it was designed for in the beginning,,and that is via a serial port connection with a INPA compatible serial interface/lead..

2.you can connect to your OBD2 car soley in ADS mode you do not need OBD mode (the cutdown INPA version 63mb on the net is an ADS only version and it is all you need for either type of system if you are using a serial interface and connection)

3.you need an INPA compatible double kkline serial interface cable..

4. an older type cheapo laptop or any laptop with a serial port preferably with XP loaded.

5.a copy of INPA/EDIABAS software cutdown version @ 63MB works fine on OBD2 or ADS cars.

6.if your car is pre OBD2 it will be either a crossover car which has both 20 pin round socket under the bonnet and 16 pin OBD2 in the cabin by your right knee or soley the 20 pin round under the bonnet (ADS socket)

7.if you have soley the 20 pin round socket under the bonnet and or pin 15 is populated? this is a fully ADS car not OBD2..

8.an ADS car you need an ADS adaptor interface or an ADS/OBD switchbox to access all the cars modules
    9.you cannot connect to all modules on an ADS car with the cheap 20 pin (ADS) round to 16 pin OBD2 adaptors like that are sold on Ebay..

10.USB interfaces can be and will be more problematic for the INPA beginner plus USB interfaces will NOT connect with INPA set in ADS mode…

11.you can acess all modules, fault code read with INPA, including ABS,airbags,engine ECU,parking sensors and do live diagnostics via a GUI screen and reset codes, airbags and adaptions etc etc

12.No serial port on your laptop? PCMCIA to serial port adaptors or USB to serial port adaptors can be made to work, but again can be seriously problematic for an INPA beginner…

So to sum up if your car is a pre OBD2 car and has a 20 pin round socket under the bonnet with pin 15 present you will need:
    A cheap laptop with a serial port and XP loaded.
    A basic cutdown version of INPA in ADS mode 63MB in size or a normal version set to ADS
    An ADS serial interface or an ADS/OBD serial switchbox interface like below…if you want some basic engine connection and function and a few other modules then the 20 round adpator will suffice most find this sufficient but as mentioned you CANNOT connect to everything with this cheaper configuration ...

ADS switchbox

If your car is OBD2 you will need..
    A cheap laptop with serial port and XP loaded
    A basic cutdown version of INPA in ADS mode
    An OBD2 BMW INPA compatible serial interface double Kline type..like below.(.NOTE the 20 pin round ADS adaptor in the kit may connect to some modules but not all of them on ADS cars, it is “NOT” a full ADS interface!!)

serial OBD2 kit with 20 pin none full ADS round adaptor

kit.jpg

There are other ways to connect and other versions of INPA with different interface combinations etc etc ..this guide is not for that its just an idiots guide for a basic DIY’er whose just found out about INPA and is the easiset and most basic way to get started

modified VAGCOM connection guide...

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...winxp-t102843/

Feel free to comment if I have ommitted anything or you have something to add…i shall add to it or edit if i i remember anything more of use...

a small update: if you are looking for cheaper robust laptops for your INPA setup? then some older IBM's fit the bill, but IBM laptops stopped having serial ports at the T30 model, models after the T30 still have the architecture for a serial port internally, but no external serial port, but if you connect it to a suitable IBM port replicator dock (very cheap these days on Ebay) you then have a fully functioning serial port on the dock ready for INPA...

an example: i now have a second setup of INPA fully functioning on an IBM T42 which is docked on a port replicator like below..

Last edited by dailydoggy; 13-02-2017 at 21:13.
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to dailydoggy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

agroper (13-06-2011),andyf (07-07-2011),dazza316i (13-06-2011),E36 lover (13-01-2012),FAL (31-12-2011),gringog60 (05-09-2011),Lairdscott (27-03-2012),Martyn D. (14-06-2011),mrmarc (10-07-2011), payno (14-06-2011),Prax1978 (14-06-2011),Qwazas (31-10-2011),RobbieV (13-06-2011),scrivy (24-10-2011),silverscaff (21-04-2014),Spirit (13-06-2011),UKSkidmark (07-01-2017),veryval (02-12-2016),w4vy (13-06-2011),watty17 (04-11-2011),xXNealXx (13-06-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 958 Posts
    Right, so I have two cars 20 pin socket only and pin 15 populated on both.

I have the pre-requisite battered laptop with COM port. However, from the above it sounds like I may as well get a peake research tool if the cheap interfaces don't read all?

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

*Based on ROI period exceeded

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Coupe328 View Post
    Right, so I have two cars 20 pin socket only and pin 15 populated on both.

I have the pre-requisite battered laptop with COM port. However, from the above it sounds like I may as well get a peake research tool if the cheap interfaces don't read all?
    AFAIK peake tools only connect to the engine DME and read BMW engine fault codes so you are no better off...i think even the cheapo 20 round to 16 pin adaptors will do that..

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I suppose the confusing stuff for me is:
    • The 16 pin ODB2 sockets are not OBD2 (For the old stuff. In a way like the vauxhall ALDL I suppose)
    • If they are not ODB2 how I am supposed to choose a 16 pin to 20 pin adapter
    • If they were like the ALDL I would just go and get two transistors and be done with it
    • Oh and finally I do have an ELM ODB2 interface somweher, which appears to, of course, be completely inappropriate to connect with a 16 pin to 20 pin adapter

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Nice guide Doggy, but I still prefer over ya head talk like joylove's guide

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

dailydoggy (14-06-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    OK, so would this:

Item no 170648230442 Vag Com KKL from China in theory work? There are very few serial ones out there.

Then add one of those cheap 16 to 20 adapters and open it up and fit a switch to be able to flip over to the other K line pin in the car and done?

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    nope you need an ADS interface to access all the modules, you might get into the engine DME with that and some others but not all..

same with these ones...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Scanner-Ed...item3a67191b8c

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Nice guide Doggy, but I still prefer over ya head talk like joylove's guide

me too..i understand most of what he's saying but im here for the idiot and the INPA virgin of the forum...

thanx to a most kind sludger owning forum superstar im now the proud owner of a full software suite of SSS progman and DIS hacked for windows and an OBD INPA interface, so me is gonna have some prodding about fun with that shortly if i can keep my temper in check...

got yet another IBM T42 ready to go with a clean install hopefully..

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dailydoggy View Post
    me too..i understand most of what he's saying but im here for the idiot and the INPA virgin of the forum...

thanx to a most kind sludger owning forum superstar im now the proud owner of a full software suite of SSS progman and DIS hacked for windows and an OBD INPA interface, so me is gonna have some prodding about fun with that shortly if i can keep my temper in check...

got yet another IBM T42 ready to go with a clean install hopefully..
    Let us know when your car doesn't start when you are done prodding around. Will see if we can sort you out

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

dailydoggy (14-06-2011)

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Let us know when your car doesn't start when you are done prodding around. Will see if we can sort you out
    i dunno if im actually brave enough to get to that stage, perhaps a tip toe couple of steps just to see if we have lift off or not

bad enough when i managed to reset the throttle adaptions in INPA while it was running by accident, i nearly dropped 21b of king edwards in me skiddies...

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast