BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

BMW INPA diagnostics an idiots guide to getting started

Tags
idiots
343K views 127 replies 37 participants last post by  Bill H 
#1 · (Edited)
This is an original guide by myself the creator of it any other versions of this guide are hijacks or stolen versions of it...

INPA is factory BMW diagnostics software that connects to all the systems and modules on BMW cars not just engine like generic scanners, it reads all BMW trouble codes and gives live diagnostics and data and GUI pages and test functions...

Ok this is an idiots guide for INPA! it is "NOT" for ppl to say oooh!! its cheaper doin it this way or its piss easy and cheaper using a modded vagcom cable, or a USB interface etc etc!! its just a guide for the simplist and easiest way to hook your car up and diagnose with INPA for the beginner..

1.the absolute simplist way to connect to your OBD2 compliant car or ADS car is via the way it was designed for in the beginning,,and that is via a serial port connection with a INPA compatible serial interface/lead..

2.you can connect to your OBD2 car soley in ADS mode you do not need OBD mode (the cutdown INPA version 63mb on the net is an ADS only version and it is all you need for either type of system if you are using a serial interface and connection)

3.you need an INPA compatible double kkline serial interface cable..

4. an older type cheapo laptop or any laptop with a serial port preferably with XP loaded.

5.a copy of INPA/EDIABAS software cutdown version @ 63MB works fine on OBD2 or ADS cars.

6.if your car is pre OBD2 it will be either a crossover car which has both 20 pin round socket under the bonnet and 16 pin OBD2 in the cabin by your right knee or soley the 20 pin round under the bonnet (ADS socket)

7.if you have soley the 20 pin round socket under the bonnet and or pin 15 is populated? this is a fully ADS car not OBD2..

8.an ADS car you need an ADS adaptor interface or an ADS/OBD switchbox to access all the cars modules
9.you cannot connect to all modules on an ADS car with the cheap 20 pin (ADS) round to 16 pin OBD2 adaptors like that are sold on Ebay..

10.USB interfaces can be and will be more problematic for the INPA beginner plus USB interfaces will NOT connect with INPA set in ADS mode…

11.you can acess all modules, fault code read with INPA, including ABS,airbags,engine ECU,parking sensors and do live diagnostics via a GUI screen and reset codes, airbags and adaptions etc etc

12.No serial port on your laptop? PCMCIA to serial port adaptors or USB to serial port adaptors can be made to work, but again can be seriously problematic for an INPA beginner…

So to sum up if your car is a pre OBD2 car and has a 20 pin round socket under the bonnet with pin 15 present you will need:
A cheap laptop with a serial port and XP loaded.
A basic cutdown version of INPA in ADS mode 63MB in size or a normal version set to ADS
An ADS serial interface or an ADS/OBD serial switchbox interface like below…if you want some basic engine connection and function and a few other modules then the 20 round adpator will suffice most find this sufficient but as mentioned you CANNOT connect to everything with this cheaper configuration ...

ADS switchbox

If your car is OBD2 you will need..
A cheap laptop with serial port and XP loaded
A basic cutdown version of INPA in ADS mode
An OBD2 BMW INPA compatible serial interface double Kline type..like below.(.NOTE the 20 pin round ADS adaptor in the kit may connect to some modules but not all of them on ADS cars, it is “NOT” a full ADS interface!!)

serial OBD2 kit with 20 pin none full ADS round adaptor

Cable Electronic device Technology Adapter Electronics accessory

There are other ways to connect and other versions of INPA with different interface combinations etc etc ..this guide is not for that its just an idiots guide for a basic DIY’er whose just found out about INPA and is the easiset and most basic way to get started

modified VAGCOM connection guide...

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...on-modded-usb-vagcom-interface-winxp-t102843/

Feel free to comment if I have ommitted anything or you have something to add…i shall add to it or edit if i i remember anything more of use...

a small update: if you are looking for cheaper robust laptops for your INPA setup? then some older IBM's fit the bill, but IBM laptops stopped having serial ports at the T30 model, models after the T30 still have the architecture for a serial port internally, but no external serial port, but if you connect it to a suitable IBM port replicator dock (very cheap these days on Ebay) you then have a fully functioning serial port on the dock ready for INPA...

an example: i now have a second setup of INPA fully functioning on an IBM T42 which is docked on a port replicator like below..

See less See more
#2 ·
Right, so I have two cars 20 pin socket only and pin 15 populated on both.

I have the pre-requisite battered laptop with COM port. However, from the above it sounds like I may as well get a peake research tool if the cheap interfaces don't read all?

#4 ·
I suppose the confusing stuff for me is:
  • The 16 pin ODB2 sockets are not OBD2 (For the old stuff. In a way like the vauxhall ALDL I suppose)
  • If they are not ODB2 how I am supposed to choose a 16 pin to 20 pin adapter
  • If they were like the ALDL I would just go and get two transistors and be done with it
  • Oh and finally I do have an ELM ODB2 interface somweher, which appears to, of course, be completely inappropriate to connect with a 16 pin to 20 pin adapter

#8 ·
me too..i understand most of what he's saying but im here for the idiot and the INPA virgin of the forum...

thanx to a most kind sludger owning forum superstar im now the proud owner of a full software suite of SSS progman and DIS hacked for windows and an OBD INPA interface, so me is gonna have some prodding about fun with that shortly if i can keep my temper in check...:hihi

got yet another IBM T42 ready to go with a clean install hopefully..:thumbsup

#6 ·
OK, so would this:

Item no 170648230442 Vag Com KKL from China in theory work? There are very few serial ones out there.

Then add one of those cheap 16 to 20 adapters and open it up and fit a switch to be able to flip over to the other K line pin in the car and done?

#11 ·
DIS is easier to use, it leads you through test plans etc. Inpa is what DIS calls expert mode where you just read the codes of the module your concerned with.

I've said it many times, but GT1 is useful but it's slow and I prefer Inpa 99% of the time. Progman holds no interest for me but if you do use it I'd look at maintaining the battery voltage so you don't brick your ecu.

Ian

#13 ·
basically its aimed at the range of cars realistically that we are most concerned with these days ( mid 90's till present), its either full ADS or crossover ADS to OBD2 cars,or full OBD2 compliant cars, depending on the country of origin these can vary some at what point which had what system, till i think 2007 when some started to go over to DCAN in the UK at least..

#19 ·
As your running LPG there will be error codes! Not that it's a problem.Ian
Really?

The car doesn't know it is running LPG, it disconnects the injectors and the lambdas are connected into the LPG system

#25 ·
Lol, well bits of it follows the obd2 standard. The E36 got a facelift around that time as well. Even that was staggered, talk about confusing.

You are right it was the Siemens ECU that was making me doubt myself. My gut feeling is to forget it on a pre 1996 car. It's more clear cut on the other E36's e.g the introduction of the evos or the M44 in the 318is.

Ian

#26 ·
Absolutely is confusing you have "the other thread" with this in the first post

All E36 94-99 with unmodifled VAGCOM cable
But nothing before 1997 on the "tested list"

And things like this........

USB-OBD2 adaptor (£6 eBay) with 16 to 20 pin adaptor (£6 eBay). This contains one USB to K line tranciever. The only thing OBD2 about it is the shape and that it does 12V/0V on pin OBD2.7.
Which is contradictory too

Not opposed to buying one of those £70 intefaces if I must

#27 ·
your making this way too complicated for yaself..your early E36 is an ADS car you need to talk to your car in ADS mode in INPA,USB interfaces "DO NOT" work in ADS mode..

if you want to talk to some of the modules on your car like the engine DME etc you need a serial interface kit like the one shown in this thread and the basic ADS mode only INPA software..

if you want to talk to everything on your car you need an ADS switchbox like the one shown in this thread and the basic ADS mode only INPA software..

thats the way i see it....

#28 ·
Actually I'm asking specific questions and people just repeat the same stuff making it complicated.

All the recent questions are about identifying the how to buy a £6 cable to talk to the DME

The default answers are buy ADS to get everything, I don't need everything.

#34 ·
WOW................ if this is the idiots guide then i need the complete stupid bars7ards, fools & idoits guide, because i cant make head nor tail of what`s going on with what plug i need or anything, which leads me to think if im that stupid then leave it alone before i break it. lol
Seriously though i dont think im that daft , the problem i have is i have a 2000 e46 alpina b3, which has both plugs (round under bonnet, and rectangle under steering wheel) ive had work done before where its been plugged in under the bonnet. but im still confused to exactly what i need for connection after reading the begining of this thread( i have INPA & progman on my computer just need to set it up on a laptop)

#35 ·
If you have the round socket, you must use it. That's the rules.

My 1999 E46 B3 (which I wrote my guide about in fact) needed to use a slightly different engine ECU for the US market S50 block. MS42.0 I think, but I forget now.

You need a VAGCOM lead and a 16 to 20 pin adaptor.

#39 ·
Help needed for e39 inpa and cable

Hi, guys been reading this forum for a while and need some help on current problem I have... first off let me just tell you my make and model car ... I have 1998 523i se UK saloon with 20 pin plug under the bonnet only ... and I was led to believe that the under bonnet pug was a obd not a ads plug... Here my problem bought a cable off ebay which cannot get to work ... I suspect Ive bought the wrong one for my setup... Im trying to run Inpa/ediabas so I can sort a ASC/traction problem I have need to access ECU to see what faults come up... anyway long story short... I have attached photos of my plug under the hood and connection plug that I bought off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140471558008 ... this is a serial port lead direct to laptop... if any of you guys could help that would be great:confused

By bigchrisss at 2011-10-05

By bigchrisss at 2011-10-05

Oh... one other thing if this is the wrong cable can it be converted?

#40 ·
Yes it is the wrong cable, no it cannot be converted.

Take care plugging this device into something, the 12V signals could easily damage your serial port/USB serial port if it is 5V only.

I don't know what a 1998 E39 needs to access the ADS port. It is possible you need the same setup as a post 1996 E36, with a £60 ADS adaptor into a factory fitted serial port.

#41 ·
Hi joylove, thanks for the quick responce, thought this might be the case, can I just ask looking at my under the hood plug .... I think pin 15 is missing would this make the cable I need to buy 20pin obd cable not an ADS and if so what should I go for do you have any recommendations at all .. trying to access the ASC / traction module to see if its fried ... do you know if I went for any suitable cable with inpa ... would I have access to those modules or would I need to buy a particular cable ... Chris

#43 ·
Hi joylove, thanks again for the reply.... had a read of your thread ... do you know if this setup would be ok ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120789362014 ... just dont particularly want to get into any fabrications or the like just want to buy straight off the shelf if I can ... I know this is serial port, but will that effect me getting all the modules seen? (by the way my e39 was registered 10/08/1998 chassis **********BT91532 523i SE..) or will I need to get ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120618973575 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250893065479 and if so will I need to alter the wiring at all? Cheers Chris

#44 ·
That first one is extremely interesting and not something I've seen before. It appears from the description to be an ADS interface for £25. Of course somone will have to buy it and test it to see.

This part is absolutely correct.
Please note this interface uses a serial RS232 connection. It won't work properly on USB/serial convertors.
So if you don't have a factory fitted serial port, get the VAGCOM 409.1 KKL lead and the 16 to 20 pin adaptor.

EDIT> The pin shorting is done for you in the 16 to 20 pin adaptor and no modifications are needed for that socket. Post 2001ish without the round socket you must short pins 7 & 8 to access all modules.

#49 ·
That first one is extremely interesting and not something I've seen before. It appears from the description to be an ADS interface for £25. Of course somone will have to buy it and test it to see.
its not an ADS interface its just an INPA 15pin to obd2 adaptor like in my picc on page 1 we have been here before it may access some things but not all of it on a 15pin round car...

ya can buy that same setup for £17 (also linked to on these pages)...

if there is no pin 15 population in the socket the setup may work on the car tho...

#52 ·
its not an ADS interface its just an INPA 15pin to obd2 adaptor like in my picc on page 1 we have been here before it may access some things but not all of it on a 15pin round car...

ya can buy that same setup for £17 (also linked to on these pages)...
OK, I just saw this bit and got excited by a cheaper RS232 adaptor.
Double K-Line support by two Motorola MC33199 K-Line drivers
and logic gates
Switchable K-Line pullups by RS232 control line.
Supports:
BMW 3 Series E30
BMW 5 Series E34
OK cool, do you know anyone on here that would know 100% or has a e39 they have tested etc... or the 10% your not sure about what is this exactly? So I can try do a investigation into that part and post my findings here for anyone else who has problems..... I would like to give somthing back to the forum if I can ... thanks for your help... Chris
Just get it (VAGCOM + 16 to 20pin) ordered, you don't have pin 15, and it's only the price of a couple of cheeseburgers and a coffee if it's not correct for you. It should be fine. :thumbsup
I have gone crazy trying to find an serial pcmcia which has an irq and memory address thus i can change it and make ads work with it

does any one know what chipset i should be looking for or what model that ads will work with it

i highly appreciate ur help
Also you'll need to reformat your harddrive and disable windows' automatic IRQ settings, also you'd need a BIOS chip that allso IRQ assignment, most (including my Sony) don't have that any more.

Do you have an ADS adaptor and USB-serial? Have you tried as a quick test

INTERFACE=USB
STD:ADS
as a combo? It's been something I've been wanting to try.

What car are you working on?

#60 ·
Also you'll need to reformat your harddrive and disable windows' automatic IRQ settings, also you'd need a BIOS chip that allso IRQ assignment
So basically hitting F5 at the bit that says something like:

"Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver"

And choosing the "Standard PC" HAL?

You can change to that HAL in device manager BUT it is not recommended and can make a good paperweight but if wiping anyway.......

#45 ·
Hi joylove, cheers for that, going from what you say and what Ive done in the past ie shot myself in the foot buying the wrong adapter!!! I think its wise to go with what you know works and go for the vagcom and 16 to 20 pin connector me thinks!!! One last question so with this VAGcom setup with INPA / ediabas will I be able to read ASC / traction modules? Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.