BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

BMW INPA diagnostics an idiots guide to getting started

Tags
idiots
343K views 127 replies 37 participants last post by  Bill H 
#1 · (Edited)
This is an original guide by myself the creator of it any other versions of this guide are hijacks or stolen versions of it...

INPA is factory BMW diagnostics software that connects to all the systems and modules on BMW cars not just engine like generic scanners, it reads all BMW trouble codes and gives live diagnostics and data and GUI pages and test functions...

Ok this is an idiots guide for INPA! it is "NOT" for ppl to say oooh!! its cheaper doin it this way or its piss easy and cheaper using a modded vagcom cable, or a USB interface etc etc!! its just a guide for the simplist and easiest way to hook your car up and diagnose with INPA for the beginner..

1.the absolute simplist way to connect to your OBD2 compliant car or ADS car is via the way it was designed for in the beginning,,and that is via a serial port connection with a INPA compatible serial interface/lead..

2.you can connect to your OBD2 car soley in ADS mode you do not need OBD mode (the cutdown INPA version 63mb on the net is an ADS only version and it is all you need for either type of system if you are using a serial interface and connection)

3.you need an INPA compatible double kkline serial interface cable..

4. an older type cheapo laptop or any laptop with a serial port preferably with XP loaded.

5.a copy of INPA/EDIABAS software cutdown version @ 63MB works fine on OBD2 or ADS cars.

6.if your car is pre OBD2 it will be either a crossover car which has both 20 pin round socket under the bonnet and 16 pin OBD2 in the cabin by your right knee or soley the 20 pin round under the bonnet (ADS socket)

7.if you have soley the 20 pin round socket under the bonnet and or pin 15 is populated? this is a fully ADS car not OBD2..

8.an ADS car you need an ADS adaptor interface or an ADS/OBD switchbox to access all the cars modules
9.you cannot connect to all modules on an ADS car with the cheap 20 pin (ADS) round to 16 pin OBD2 adaptors like that are sold on Ebay..

10.USB interfaces can be and will be more problematic for the INPA beginner plus USB interfaces will NOT connect with INPA set in ADS mode…

11.you can acess all modules, fault code read with INPA, including ABS,airbags,engine ECU,parking sensors and do live diagnostics via a GUI screen and reset codes, airbags and adaptions etc etc

12.No serial port on your laptop? PCMCIA to serial port adaptors or USB to serial port adaptors can be made to work, but again can be seriously problematic for an INPA beginner…

So to sum up if your car is a pre OBD2 car and has a 20 pin round socket under the bonnet with pin 15 present you will need:
A cheap laptop with a serial port and XP loaded.
A basic cutdown version of INPA in ADS mode 63MB in size or a normal version set to ADS
An ADS serial interface or an ADS/OBD serial switchbox interface like below…if you want some basic engine connection and function and a few other modules then the 20 round adpator will suffice most find this sufficient but as mentioned you CANNOT connect to everything with this cheaper configuration ...

ADS switchbox

If your car is OBD2 you will need..
A cheap laptop with serial port and XP loaded
A basic cutdown version of INPA in ADS mode
An OBD2 BMW INPA compatible serial interface double Kline type..like below.(.NOTE the 20 pin round ADS adaptor in the kit may connect to some modules but not all of them on ADS cars, it is “NOT” a full ADS interface!!)

serial OBD2 kit with 20 pin none full ADS round adaptor

Cable Electronic device Technology Adapter Electronics accessory

There are other ways to connect and other versions of INPA with different interface combinations etc etc ..this guide is not for that its just an idiots guide for a basic DIY’er whose just found out about INPA and is the easiset and most basic way to get started

modified VAGCOM connection guide...

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...on-modded-usb-vagcom-interface-winxp-t102843/

Feel free to comment if I have ommitted anything or you have something to add…i shall add to it or edit if i i remember anything more of use...

a small update: if you are looking for cheaper robust laptops for your INPA setup? then some older IBM's fit the bill, but IBM laptops stopped having serial ports at the T30 model, models after the T30 still have the architecture for a serial port internally, but no external serial port, but if you connect it to a suitable IBM port replicator dock (very cheap these days on Ebay) you then have a fully functioning serial port on the dock ready for INPA...

an example: i now have a second setup of INPA fully functioning on an IBM T42 which is docked on a port replicator like below..

See less See more
#92 ·
hey guys looking for some advice on diagnostics.

I've been told that the C110 scanner while lacking the advanced features of inpa is very good and probably better for quick diagnostics and to leave in my glovebox. I currently have an issue with my car where I've had the dsc and abs lights appearing after long journeys and I know its probably about time I invest in something to properly diagnose such things.

Does anyone know if the C110 scanner reads the abs/dsc codes? I already know inpa will :D

#94 ·
I have a C110 scanner that reads and clears SRS (Air bag) errors perfectly on my 02-1998 E39 (VIM BH33139). It is not as successful in reading ABS & DSC errors ... instead of telling me which wheel speed sensor is faulty, it gives me;

2B,02,00,C7 No found!
2B,02,00,D7 No found!
2B,02,00,8C No found!
2B,02,00,83 No found!
2B,02,00,BE No found!

I've borrowed 3 other scanners and they all give me the same codes. The ABS & DSC lights were intermittent but are now on more often than not. The handbrake light is on only when it should be.

I've spent hours googling to find out what these codes mean and despite finding many posts (including German, Polish , Danish) asking the same question, am no wiser. I understand only that these code represent additional data that only INPA will be able to decode. Pity that the protcol couldn't be extended without hiding the most important info - which wheel sensor is faulty!

So in my experience, the above statement isn't univeral: the C110 may not read ABS & DSC errors on pre 2000 models.

PS Am also trying to determine the best choice to get INPA. I only have the 20 pin socket under the bonnet, no obd in cabin, I get a 11-14 volt reading in all holes with a golden metal around the edge, except for pin 15 which reads 0 volts. I've read on another forum that 0 volts at pin 15 means that my 1998 e39 is NOT ADS ? That would be disappointing because I really need to decrypt those codes using INPA. Can anyone clarify if having pin 15 "present" means having the metal conductor and a voltage that is detectable by a multi-meter ?

#99 ·
I've searched the forum and this seems the best place to ask.

I have a 2010 330i saloon, and I'm looking for something to read / clear all fault codes for the car.

I've asked an Ebay seller whether this item would be suitable for my car, but they replied that it would not:

FTDI OBD K + D-Can Diagnostics Cable Car Code Scanner For BMW Mini GT1 SSS NCS

I've also looked into a C110 scanner, but they apparently only work up to 2007 models? Is this right...?

Could someone give a definitive answer on what cable / reader I need for my car? Information online is scarce and sometimes contradictory.

#102 · (Edited)
Z3 2.2 2001

Hi all, firstly thanks for all the advice posted on this forum from various people especially joylove and dailydoggy - I've spent a long time reading these threads and so much more informed than before. Yet still, like everyone else, I have a couple of questions on this complicated topic that I'd really appreciate some custom advice on.

I have a 2001 Z3 2.2 with an ODB port in the cabin and also the 20-pin connector under the bonnet. Pin 15 has a metal insert but I have not yet checked the voltage across it. My understanding is therefore that this is some sort of transition set-up car and the ideal solution for me would be a 20-pin to serial port cable with an old laptop, etc. However, by the time I have bought all that kit and spent a weekend reformatting the hard drive, changing PC configs, etc etc, I could've taken it to a garage and had someone who really knew what they were doing plug it straight in and charge me £30/40. Long term I would definitely want to go for the PC set up though so I could diagnose future faults. But I am not massively in to computer programming so it might take me a while to get there.

I am rushing to a short term quick fix in the meantime because the engine management light came on recently so I really want to find out what that is ASAP. It is driving totally fine with the light on but I'm not one to ignore warning lights. It also has an EEP2 error (& instrument cluster dead) when cold but this fixes itself if warmed for a couple of minutes and restarted so I can live with that short term.

I understand that my car is not fully ODBII, so a scanner tool such as C110 or a laptop + USB cable to ODBII such as VAGCOM would not be the most useful. But would either of these give me anything useful at all? Perhaps enough to at least see what the engine management light is being caused by?

Thanks in advance :)

#103 ·
ya could borrow a generic code reader from somebody? and see if it will connect via the OBd2 port to the engine and read generic codes...will tell you if the engine ECU is wired to the OBD2 port and give you basic engine code trouble info...

or ifyou have an android device wiv BT you could try one of these and some sort of free software plenty of em out there or cheap like torque?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ELM3...id=100005&rk=6&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=182072216214

i dont know if it would work or not tho im just speculating as i dont know your car depend sif it is OBD2 compliant and ya only gonna find that out by above and it will only cost little mpre than a fiver anyway...

#104 ·
Thanks. I decided to take the plunge with a C110. Sounds like if I'm lucky and I am OBD2 compliant it should work? If not I'll have lost £40 but I figured I could probably just re-sell it on. Would you advise using that straight in the 15-pin in the cabin or using the 20-pin adapter? i Don't have an android device

#108 ·
I bought this diagnostic kit last year and haven't tried to use it until today. I have a 1997, 2.8 Z3.

The ABS and ASC lights are on and I suspect it's because of a problematic wheel sensor, but only because it seems to be the commonest fault according to fellow Z3 owners.

Anyway, I can't get the kit to give me any diagnostic codes to confirm or disprove my thoughts.

I'm in INPA, select "old models" and then E36. The info I need to read (ABS/ASC) is in "chassis" but none of the options are accessible.

Some part of the programme is working because it has confirmed that my airbag light is on due to "seat occupancy" which I earlier diagnosed with a cheapy SRS tool.

Can anyone help?

#113 ·
Sorry, I don't understand computer language. I'm using a 3yr old Acer laptop connecting through USB port. My car is 1997 Z3 with just the round OBD port. It's reading an airbag fault but it wont give me anything as to why my ABS / ASC lights are on.

I'm connecting BMCable with an adapter cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.