BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2009 E92 325i - Yellow Engine Light Loss of Power

10K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  xXNealXx 
#1 ·
Hi All, my first post....

My car has the N53 engine which I see from this and other forums is an unreliable engine. Recently when accelerating from 50-60 Mph the engine power dropped off a bit, the yellow engine light came on and the engine felt very sluggish. Stopping then restarting the engine cleared the problem. Yesterday it happened again.
I live quite far from the dealer (the one I trust) and they charge a £15 per day ‘admin’ fee for loan cars, so I’m reluctant to book my car in for this so far minor niggle. I would like to get the dealer to check it out when its in for its next service which should be due in the next couple of months. But, having read through posts on this forum I see that the ECU logs dates such as when the fault codes were last cleared. Does it also log when and how many times the yellow engine light comes on? If it does, would you suggest I book my car in sooner so I don’t get caught out with some warranty small print?

Cheers

#3 ·
Thanks Neil.

EML= Engine Management (Maintenance) Light ??

I will be sure to get the codes read, but would like to avoid the extra 100 mile round trip to do so. Is there a date stored in the ECU with the EML/fault log? If not I will wait until the service is due which is date based not miles as I just don’t cover enough miles. The light has come on just two times so if I avoid using the car (use wifes or cycle to work) I could then let the service guy know its come on a couple times in the past week or so when I drop the car off for the service.

#4 ·
Yes, EML= Engine Management Light. What you could also try is to see if there are any CC-ID codes. Next time the fault occurs, press and hold the BC stalk button for around 4 secs and the codes will be displayed on the cluster if applicable. Post them up and we will check them out :thumbsup

#5 ·
Thanks again Neil,

My brother borrowed an ECU tester from work. Its not BMW specific, but is an amazing bit of kit which can interrogate all the modules on the car and there's loads! This is what we found -

30DC Nitrogen-oxide sensor, heating

30DE Nitrogen-oxide sensor-oxygen sensor before cat., correlation

2AAF Fuel pump, plausibility

2B07 Nitrogen-oxide sensor, electric

2B06 Nitrogen-oxide sensor, lambda linear

2AFB Nitrogen-oxide sensor, lambda binary

29F2 Fuel high-pressure system, fuel pressure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.