BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2005 E60 535d Control Module sofware updates using PROGMAN

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RABUL 
#1 ·
My son-in-law has just got me PROGMAN installed and working on a lap top - way beyond my IT capabilities. However I asked it to look at my control units and it seems to think just about all need updating and it will take 183 minutes to do it. I really just wanted to update one unit as a tester but it seems I need to do all or nothing. Have others done this big update in one go, and if so how did you get on?

#2 ·
A quick update. I have since learnt that you do indeed have to update all the modules and for a car like mine, not updated since new in 2005, this involves over 20 modules. I was advised that to use an unsupported version of PROGMAN to do all this in one go was high risk, so I paid the dealers flat rate of one and a half manhours for him to update my modules for me. At the same time I was informally advised that DIS is fine and a reliable diagnostic tool, and PROGMAN is fine for updating the basic car and key settings, but perhaps not for more involved module re-programming. Fuller l details of what I did are on the E60 forum.

#4 ·
You are going beyond my knowledge and comfort zone, so not something I would want to risk. In the end I got all my modules updated which solved a couple of other minor issues (e.g hard down shift to first when decelerating down hill which I thought was a more serious gearbox issue) and also improved the look and ease of use of some of the nav kit functions. Overall I was not unhappy with the BMW main dealer attitude and update. touch wood, I have not had any issues since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.