2004 E46 320d M sport turbo cuts out if a sustained speed is maintained for a long period of time

Notices

Thread: 2004 E46 320d M sport turbo cuts out if a sustained speed is maintained for a long period of time

Reply to Thread
  1. 2004 E46 320d M sport turbo cuts out if a sustained speed is maintained for a long period of time 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    johnie1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    could anyone possible help? My car acts and drives pretty well around town a slight loss of power and a bit smokey out the exhaust on start up. The main problem is that on motorway driving if a constant speed is maintained the turbo will cut out, no dash warning lights come on at all. If i pull over and stop the engine, on re-start it will be working fine until constant speed is maintained again.
    I have managed to get a local garage to plug a computer in to it and the fault codes are as follows: 4191 turbine control flap activation,: 4521 charge air pressure control small turbo control deviation and: 3ff0 air mass flow sensor. I believe that it is probably only the first fault that is the problem or at least it is the best place to start, has anyone else come across this problem? what part am i looking at? what will it cost? what does it mean?

Thanks for looking
    Johnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mattbish's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I had a similar fault with a diesel Vectra () a couple of years back. On long motorway runs it would regularly drop in an instant about 40% power and the only way to quickly sort it was to turn the ignition off and on again. To brilliant but stuck in the fast lane rapidly losing speed there was no other option.

In the end in a big cloud of black smoke the engine lost power all together and I limped into the nearest bus stop and not being mechanically minded and it being a company car called the AA to get it sorted while waiting for a courtesy car.

What I thought was going to be a huge bill turned out to be a loose jubilee clip connecting a pipe to the turbo. The final blow out was the pipe finally blowing off altogether.

Worth checking into this. I had the same thing happen to a VW Transporter while driving back from Italy but at least this time I (kind of) new what to look for and it was a quick roadside fix.
    320ci M-Sport, Leather, Sat Nav, 18" MV1's, (Looking for CF Roof)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    johnie1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thank you for that i really hope you are right i will have a look on the weekend
    Cheers
    Johnie: