BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2003 E46 320d - 70 Fault Code - Occupancy Sensor - A Pillar Disturbed

23K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  joylove 
#1 ·
Hi All, apologies for my first post being a request for help. I recently bought my first BMW after much searching, a 2003 320d Sport Touring and really love it. The only down side was the BMW Business CASSETTE player!! So I fitted a Blaupunkt DAB headunit with ipod connectivity etc, and removed the passenger a-pillar trim to fit the glass mount aerial as descreetly as possible. I removed fuses 7 and 41 to isolate any stereo power supply, and tip-toed around the curtain airbag running along the a-pillar, before routing around the back of the glovebox.

I ran the DAB aerial lead and 12v power along with the other cables running down the pillar, and very very lightly lifted the base of the airbag to run the two cables behind the airbag should it ever be deployed.. Everything is now working as it should apart from if I have an airbag warning light illuminating (fault code 70, passenger occupancy sensor) when first started then goes off and intermittently comes back on again. This has been cleared then immediately comes back on.

The standard remedy seems to be the sensor for the passenger seat or the mat for the same seat, but it does seem to be a bit of a coincidence that I was tinkering near the a-pillar airbag.

Does anyone know of anything I could of inadvertantly disturbed along the a-pillar to flag the error? I also had the glove box out, but was very careful with all wiring apart from a bit of moving of wires around the climate control/headunit area to get the loom, aerial adaptor and modules for steering wheel controls and ipod adaptor out of the way.

Really appreciate and advice and just want to fix it properly, I'm just suspicious that I've triggered something around that a-piller and would rather look there before investigating the passenger seat.

Many thanks,

Dan

See less See more
#3 ·
Many thanks for the reply Steve, as far as I can make out, there is the mat within the seat and another sensor by the seat runner. If this is the case, is one more likely than the other to fail?

Also, if I had the car checked on BMW diagnostics rather than the Snap-On tool which was used, do you know whether that would pin-point the fault more precisely?

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.