2001 E46 318i se peake research code?!! - Page 3

Notices

Thread: 2001 E46 318i se peake research code?!!

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joylove View Post
    Without the round connector under the bonnet this car could not have been subjected to a pin-shorting method that has locked the diagnostic bus.
    True, but still need to check if K1 and K2 lines are ok as these control the hung bus in most cases.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

greenman1969 (04-04-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    greenman1969's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    ok thanks for the info...so what are the k1 and k2 lines....will DIS be able to tell me if these are not working or are they required to be able to get into the system if you know what i mean? not sure i know myself what am saying as its been a bad weekend

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman1969 View Post
    ok thanks for the info...so what are the k1 and k2 lines....will DIS be able to tell me if these are not working or are they required to be able to get into the system if you know what i mean? not sure i know myself what am saying as its been a bad weekend
    K1 and K2 are the two diagnostic lines on the car. One is for Engine ECU & EGS and the other is for everything else.

Edit: seems your reader only does the engine, so only 1 of the two lines will be needed.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    ahhh i see....so am i right in thinking that if i get DIS and use my laptop and the appropriate lead i should be able to get into the system and clear various faults if any???

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman1969 View Post
    ahhh i see....so am i right in thinking that if i get DIS and use my laptop and the appropriate lead i should be able to get into the system and clear various faults if any???
    I would avoid DIS. It required you to do a lot of hacks and set up a fake LAN bridge to the USB port, it has taken some very software savvy people days to configure and even then is very version specific in its support. Follow my guide here to get INPA.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joylove For This Useful Post:

greenman1969 (04-04-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    thanx joylove...may need to give ya a shout when i get ma lead hahaha
    cheers!!!!!!!!!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    soul4t's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i E30 - M40
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi,

I'm quite a novice on this stuff, especially considering 02 plates are miles from my E30, but, you say that these other indy garages managed to read the codes...I'm guessing they may have had a generic type OBD2 code reader, I know that they aren't as accurate as the peake ones for BM's as they don't read the factory codes, so that could be why/how the indy's are possibly mis-diagnosing the fault....though it's weird that the fault was fixed temporarilly, even still it's possible...could be cause they just managed to clear the codes! It would be good if you could fine someone with one of the generic type code readers just to see if it can pick anything up, although you wouldn't have thought it would if the K line is hung....

Just some thoughts...

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by soul4t View Post
    Hi,

I'm quite a novice on this stuff, especially considering 02 plates are miles from my E30, but, you say that these other indy garages managed to read the codes...I'm guessing they may have had a generic type OBD2 code reader, I know that they aren't as accurate as the peake ones for BM's as they don't read the factory codes, so that could be why/how the indy's are possibly mis-diagnosing the fault....though it's weird that the fault was fixed temporarilly, even still it's possible...could be cause they just managed to clear the codes! It would be good if you could fine someone with one of the generic type code readers just to see if it can pick anything up, although you wouldn't have thought it would if the K line is hung....

Just some thoughts...
    Usually Indy's have a rather expensive tool like Autologic, which is pretty powerful, yet still operates within the bounds of the single wire data bus on the 16 pin connector for this year of vehicle.

Also there is no evidence of a hung bus as yet, it's some sort of red herring. The bus operated at 12V and 0V for signalling. Pulling it to 0V by accident will not break it, only mute the ECUs.

Using a multimeter to check if the bus idles at 12V is a good test. 5V is is a dead master bus controller and bridge (in the KOMBI) (for which there is a backup in the LCM), 0V is a dead short in the wiring.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to joylove For This Useful Post:

soul4t (07-04-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    GazNicki's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iSE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I have a generic ODB-II Reader and software on the laptop and was able to read generic codes from our 1999 E46 through the ODB-II port under the steering wheel. However, these were not the Airbag and ABS as the Generic ODB-II reader can't get to that.

I have an ELM-327 Reader + ScanXL Pro. Great for my ST200 but pants really for the BMW. Nice drag strip and digital rolling road - if I ever suss it out.
    Car:BMW 318iSE (E46)
    Mods:Private Reg, 17in Alloys, Sport Half Alacantra Seats, Sport Door Cards, Carbon Fibre Dash Trim.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123