BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 E46 318i - Fault codes

Tags
318i codes
7K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  ritsy1 
#1 ·
e46 318 ci 1.9 !Right every morning i go to start my car and it backfires the idle is steady then it drops n the car cuts out !
Im getting
activation map cooling ???(what is ths)
po135
po170

i have changed the first o2 sensor
camshaft sensor
icv
maf
oil
oil filter
fuel filter and plugs but it does it every mornin there is no air leaks and the emission pump is working fine help !!!!

When she is warm n for the rest of the day she is fine n great to drive but its really getting on my tats!

#3 ·
map cooling is ya thermostat if its getting up to temp in good time and staying steady ide tend to not worry about that one you can get that one just messing about with the coolant system..

p0135 is a duff lambda sensor heater circuit malfunction and may explain your cold start issues..
p0170 is engine running lean could be an intake vacuum leak

ide address the po135 first it may oe may not clear the po170..did you fit a cheap aftermarket sensor and was it pre cat or post cat??

http://www.bmwclub.info/_files/codes.pdf

#15 ·
Remove the short rubber hose that goes between the Secondary Air Pump (SAP) and the vacuum operated valve on the engine.

Inspect the valve. Does it look stuck?

Does it have a lot of black carbon deposits on both side, indicating insufficient pressure from the SAP?

Is the hose damaged or leaking air due to corrosion on the valve?

This is the SAP. The hose is part number 7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.