540i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joylove View Post
    Confirmed that the RxD line cannot be stimulated with a diode or a short between RxD and TxD. A Gate via a GAL must be used in conjunction with the DTR line to route commands to RxD for the modules that are not responding.

It's getting dark now. I shall ponder this some more in the next few weeks. It may be possible to do a mod to a USB OBD2 adaptor and use it for all modules.
    If you need any more photos or info from my cable I'll happily oblige mate.

I've ordered the adaptor DD linked for the time being but I'm still intrested in modding my existing cable if you find a suitable solution.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyday For This Useful Post:

joylove (12-06-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyday View Post
    If you need any more photos or info from my cable I'll happily oblige mate.

I've ordered the adaptor DD linked for the time being but I'm still intrested in modding my existing cable if you find a suitable solution.
    Thanks - actually the pictures in post 30 aren't working for me.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    tonyday's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    540i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I had them uploaded as a private album through my user CP, I've changed it to public, any luck?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyday View Post

OBD2.15 L line isn't in use on this cable.
    It looks to me like pin OBD2.15 L Line (becomes RxD) is not soldered. In fact the back of the board looks a right mess, nothing lines up.

Try soldering pin OBD2.15 down. Be prepared to unsloder it if it stops working

Pin OBD2.9 is RPM, don't need that.
    Pin OBD2.14 is CAN LOW J-2284 don't need that, not supported on the car and 16-20 adaptor.
    Dunno about OBD2.12 but don't need it either.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    tonyday's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    540i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    OK, I have tried soldering down pin OBD2.15 and found that I still had no access to ZKE & KOMBI modules. I was still able to access DME & HVAC though like before.

NET result = no change.

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,238 Times in 4,076 Posts
    if it was that easy don't you think ebay would be awash with them in that guise in the first place? there would be no need to sell more expensive ADS interfaces to start with, twas obvious it was never gonna do anything.....
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dailydoggy View Post
    if it was that easy don't you think ebay would be awash with them in that guise in the first place? there would be no need to sell more expensive ADS interfaces to start with, twas obvious it was never gonna do anything.....
    The eBay description of the device listed all the active parts needed for an ADS interface, along with proclaiming 100% compatibility. It also has the L line circuitry inside, which is needed for one possible ADS implementation. With a scope on the DTR output and tracing through the output lines from the RS232 level shifter it may be possible to figure out the mistakes in their circuit.

The ADS interface is well documented in the BMW document ADS_DOCU.pdf and easily replicable with about three more active parts than a regular USB OBD2 adaptor.

Why eBay is not awash with them - well your guess is as good as mine - but it's a very simple device.

EDIT: Here is BMW's single snippet description of the difference between an ADS interface and an OBD2 one.
    DTR control line for switching the transmission line to the vehicle
    DTR =-12V: Send to RxD
    DTR = +12 V: Send to TxD
    Not impossible to replicate. Easily achievable with transistors or twin transceivers with an ENABLE/DISABLE line.

The EDIABAS software may or may not need to see it's own Tx echo on the RS232 Rx path when DTR=-12V (because RxD is always connected and you Tx on it). Easily achievable with twin K line transcivers or perhaps a diode.

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,238 Times in 4,076 Posts
    hence the switchboxes refered to earlier, it makes more economic sense to the ppl that make them to make something that will interface with both earlier and the later system, thus i suppose creating a broader marketing base to make them worth making in the first place and limiting the costs of producing them...
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    tonyday's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    540i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    No harm done though. It was worth 15 mins of my time even if it was fruitless.

Like I mentioned before I have already ordered the OBD/ADS switch box you linked previously and I thank you for your recommendation but if I can assist joylove with his attempts to find a more affordable solution then I shall.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyday For This Useful Post:

joylove (13-06-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    hence the switchboxes refered to earlier, it makes more economic sense to the ppl that make them to make something that will interface with both earlier and the later system, thus i suppose creating a broader marketing base to make them worth making in the first place and limiting the costs of producing them...
    Ok I haven't had much coffee yet but I think you are saying the ADS and ODB2 adaptors are mutually exclusive.

The ADS interface is fully compatible with cars up until about 2008 when they added an Ethernet connection. I think the K line connection persists in those cars too, for backwards compatibility, but I don't own one to test.

Remeber, the additional function in an ADS adaptor is the DTR line that routes data to the L line. If Eidabas leaves that line high permenantly, the adaptor performs like any cheapo USB OBD2 adaptor, routing all Tx/Rx data to OBD2.7 K line. The fact it needs a DTR line is why you need a proper serial port, and it needs to be on COM1/3F38h/IRQ11 we have found because there is no ini file for the ADS that allows you to use COM2, 3 etc.

Sure you have ignition sensing with ADS, but when you have the ignition off it's pretty obvious as none of the modules respond

When Ediabas holds the DTR line at +12V for E39, E46, X5, E90, the ADS interface behaves exactly like any OBD2 adaptor.

As for building a custom adaptor and whether it is commercially viable, I think enough BMWs have been made since 1985ish when OBD came along to make it commercially viable. Enough E36 owners have issues with adaptors alone to sell a few hundred worldwide, especially if it was USB enabled. Unfortunately someone usually has to do the work first, before it gets reverse engineered and copied in China.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to joylove For This Useful Post:

dailydoggy (13-06-2011)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast